Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 6

MU setter transfers to BU

Found this out first from my daughter who was is a high school friend of hers, but MU freshman setter Kate Harris was granted her full release and will transfer within to conference to Baylor where she will be eligible next season. She starts school at BU next week.

PreVolleyball.com ranked Harris, from Lee's Summit West (MO) as the 23rd best player in the class of 09, just ahead of ISU's Allison Landwehr at 24. Harris was runnerup for Missouri's Gatorade player of the year as a junior, but missed the first half of her senior season with mono, leaving Landwehr to collect the honor.

Like Landwehr, she played back-up to a veteran senior setter this past season. Former Drake BB player, and Missouri VB coach, Wayne Kreklow signed his niece, Molly Kreklow, a first team HS All-American setter this past season, leaving Harris in a bit of a predicament.

As you can see from the second link below, Baylor is more than happy to get her.

Volleyball Freshman Kate Harris to Transfer - MISSOURI OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Volleyball Signs Harris for 2010-11 - BAYLOR OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Re: MU setter transfers to BU

that's kind of bizarre to see an in conference transfer like that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

It's even more bizarre with a full release considering Missouri in past has been one of the most tight schools on transfering. I recall a few years back they had a kid who didn't play all that much that wanted to transfer to get a head start on grad school, and Missouri put some strict restrictions on it. No in conference. No school that was on their schedule the next year. No school that had been in the NCAA tournament the previous two years. No school in the top 25 or getting votes in the top 25. and no school within a certain (several hundred miles) distance of Columbia.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 16

Another transfer story regarding setters in the Big XII.

Today's OWH indicated that Lauren Cook, setter and national Freshman of the Year from UCLA is transferring. All indications in the article point to her playing for her dad in Lincoln.

Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: Big Red Today - Lauren Cook may be Nebraska-bound

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

Seems to me in basketball if they transfer within the conference, not only do they sit out a year - they lose that year of eligibility. Anyone know if it's the same in VB?

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by gizzsdad View Post
    Seems to me in basketball if they transfer within the conference, not only do they sit out a year - they lose that year of eligibility. Anyone know if it's the same in VB?
    Different sports have different rules, pretty sure of that. It seems stupid to me, but hey, it's the NCAA's motto.

Didn't Sanderson transfer to PSU with Cael and was immediately eligible this year? Probably the same for VBall - but I don't really know.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 6

I think the other school has to release you, and if it is within the league the rest of the league has to approve. Robinette did not get releassed by NU when she came to ISU, so she lost the year she had to sit out.

I think the lesser sports are looked at a bit differently. AT MU, Kreklow knew he had his setter for four years in his niece, and it did Harris no good to stay around as a unhappy camper. If it was her wanting to get out and leaving MU in a lurch, it might have not been such an amicable departure.

Note the dates on the articles. BU announced she had signed before MU annouced she was leaving. Obviously, the SID at MU had other more important things to do.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

Revenue sports have the sit out a year rule...nonrevenue don't if you're released I believe.