Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 6

stupidest thing i have read yet!!! what an idiot..

The first sentence alone just says "your an Idiot!"

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/b...g_changes40588

- Getting Steve Alford (assuming it official happens) is a steal for New Mexico. His 152-106 record might not be overwhelming, but Alford brings a few things to the table that you have to love.
    A) Publicity. No one particularly paid any attention to the firing of Ritchie McKay.. and except for some love for Danny Granger, no one has paid any attention to New Mexico the past few years.
    B) Name Recognition. The MWC has been bringing in some decent "name" coaches the past few years. Lon Kruger at UNLV, Jeff Bzdelik at Air Force (the guy coached in the NBA), even Steve Fisher at SDSU. All of these have worked out well for the conference.
    C) Quality. Like I said, Alford's record at Iowa isn't overwhelming, and many would see his time there as a disappointment (only one NCAA Tournament win, off-the court issues, etc..). But, its not like New Mexico is a job that Coach K and Pitino are fighting over. Its not very often a non-BCS school can snag a coach from a BCS school who has even had decent success in recent years. Even this past year, Iowa's 9-7 conference record is impressive considering the team's expectations.
    - For Iowa fans, perhaps the most worrisome aspect of losing Alford (maybe the only worrisome aspect since most wanted him gone), is whether Tyler Smith will now leave the program. The Tennessee native was the Big Ten's best freshman outside of Ohio State.. but there's been rumblings that he's unhappy there.

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: stupidest thing i have read yet!!! what an idiot..

See I can understand what the article is saying, and it make some sense to me. Alford is a name, regardless of whatever happened at Iowa, he is still Steve Alford, Hoosier All American, and national champion.

And when you coach at a school like New Mexico, where you have everything in place, except conference prestige. His name will allow him to get into homes. He may not get McD all americans, but he can recruit the solid guys that were decent at Iowa will be great there. Can you imagine Greg Brunner in the Mountain West Conference??? He was a damn good Big 11 player, he'd dominate there.

It was that "name" that allowed him to win at SMSU, he was able to get the top second and third tier kids.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Yeah I agree on this. You have to look at it from New Mexico's standpoint and not Iowa or ISU's. It's a Big 10 coach going to a lower conference. It should be easier for him to win there.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Gotleib just said that it's a win/win situation. New Mexico wants him and Iowa wants to get him the **** out. (well he didn't say exactly like that)

Rookie
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Mike Tirico said on PTI, "Iowa fans would have drove him to Bloomington a year a go."

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 135
    Given: 116

He's a player...he's NOT a coach.

Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

"The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    He's a player...he's NOT a coach.

exactly...

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 125

He better get some better assistants to do the coaching. Steve will have to recruit a little bit harder.

The high altuitude may be harder on his do - more radiation on his fsvorite locks.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

The article is right. New Mexico is really lucky to be getting Alford. He hasn't done well at Iowa, but it is a tougher conference. He's not a great coach, but he should do well at NM. Also, even though basketball is more central at NM than Iowa, I don't think he'll be under the same kind of pressure as he was at Iowa.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganFan70 View Post
    The article is right. New Mexico is really lucky to be getting Alford. He hasn't done well at Iowa, but it is a tougher conference. He's not a great coach, but he should do well at NM. Also, even though basketball is more central at NM than Iowa, I don't think he'll be under the same kind of pressure as he was at Iowa.
    Actually, because NM's main focus is MBB, I think he'll be under more pressure than he was at Iowa. Iowa was more acceptable of mediocrity; NM will accept nothing less than a conference title within 3 years.

"Seven minutes to glory."