Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

NFL Talent Calling College Games...

I think this has been a topic of discussion for quite sometime now, but watching the games on Fox the last few nights it has really started to irritate me again.

The NFL analyst that Fox used to call the play by play, and to breakdown games during pregame, halftime, and post game were terrible. It is obvious that none of them have done their homework prior to showing up to the stadium or studio that day. A few examples: 1) All I should have to say is Pat Sumarall. During the OSU- Ole Miss game, he mixed the names of the two schools repeatedly and really struggled in general. That guy’s retirement is way past due. 2) ISU-Minnesota game as mentioned in the register, the announcer one play commentated that the 5 wide set is classic ISU. Only two or three plays later he referred to ISU as a traditional power football team. I am sorry but you can't be both. 3) Jimmy Johnson last night referred to Ferentz as Fuhr-rents, and Amari Spievey as Spy-Vee during the half. I know Ferentz is mispronounced all the time, but you think commentators would be able to get that down ahead of time.

I know these guys are Fox’s big guns, but you think they could find a few commentators that have taken in at least a half of college football over the course of the season. If the article I read online is correct, the BCS games move to ESPN next year. If that is the case, the talent and quality should improve greatly. I am disappointed that the games won’t be available over the air. Oh well, I guess I will take that trade off any time. End of rant.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 1,196

Re: NFL Talent Calling College Games...

Agreed, they are terrible. I can't stand the fact that Fox usually has most of the BCS games.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 400

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Agreed, they are terrible. I can't stand the fact that Fox usually has most of the BCS games.
    Isn't this the last year of Fox and the BCS? I believe ESPN gets the rights for BCS games (non-Rose Bowl) for a few years now as mentioned above. How long does ESPN get the rights? I thought I read somewhere that the ESPN contract is long enough that it eliminates any playoff system in the near future?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 118

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    Isn't this the last year of Fox and the BCS? I believe ESPN gets the rights for BCS games (non-Rose Bowl) for a few years now as mentioned above. How long does ESPN get the rights? I thought I read somewhere that the ESPN contract is long enough that it eliminates any playoff system in the near future?
    ESPN gets rights to BCS games starting in 2011 - ESPN

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 82

Are they actually going to put the BCS games on a cable channel? I really can't see that happening. I would think they would be done like the ESPN on ABC presentations they typically do for the game of the week during the regular season. They are all the same company.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Fortunately the BCS moves to ESPN for next year. As long as we don't have to hear Pam Ward we'll be fine.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 118

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Are they actually going to put the BCS games on a cable channel? I really can't see that happening. I would think they would be done like the ESPN on ABC presentations they typically do for the game of the week during the regular season. They are all the same company.

Quote from above article makes it seem like only on ESPN:

"Of the people who watched the BCS title game on Fox last season, 95 percent had cable or satellite, ESPN said."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 400

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    Fortunately the BCS moves to ESPN for next year. As long as we don't have to hear Pam Ward we'll be fine.
    Yeah...she has the most annoying/monotone voice ever!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by khess83 View Post
    I think this has been a topic of discussion for quite sometime now, but watching the games on Fox the last few nights it has really started to irritate me again.

The NFL analyst that Fox used to call the play by play, and to breakdown games during pregame, halftime, and post game were terrible. It is obvious that none of them have done their homework prior to showing up to the stadium or studio that day. A few examples: 1) All I should have to say is Pat Sumarall. During the OSU- Ole Miss game, he mixed the names of the two schools repeatedly and really struggled in general. That guy’s retirement is way past due. 2) ISU-Minnesota game as mentioned in the register, the announcer one play commentated that the 5 wide set is classic ISU. Only two or three plays later he referred to ISU as a traditional power football team. I am sorry but you can't be both. 3) Jimmy Johnson last night referred to Ferentz as Fuhr-rents, and Amari Spievey as Spy-Vee during the half. I know Ferentz is mispronounced all the time, but you think commentators would be able to get that down ahead of time.

I know these guys are Fox’s big guns, but you think they could find a few commentators that have taken in at least a half of college football over the course of the season. If the article I read online is correct, the BCS games move to ESPN next year. If that is the case, the talent and quality should improve greatly. I am disappointed that the games won’t be available over the air. Oh well, I guess I will take that trade off any time. End of rant.
    Your overall premise is correct...not just for the talent but the overall production of these games on Fox has been inferior to what ESPN/ABC/CBS do on a regular basis.

You are wrong on Pat Sumarall...he is retired...the Cotton Bowl is the only game he has done in quite a few years. You are wrong that Fox is using their big NFL guns...none of the guys doing these BCS games is on either their first or second announcing crew.

ISU getting a bowl on the NFL Network was really a bad break...it is almost like that old saying...if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound if no one is there to hear it (if a CFB bowl game appears on the NFL Network did it really happen if no one was able to see it). Unfortunately, ISU got no pregame pub on ESPN, no casual fan viewers (sure ISU fans were able to seek out the NFL Network but non-vested fans certainly did not seek it out), and virtually no postgame analysis. Just too bad IMO.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

is it just me or is Fox a bit excessive with panning the crowd between every freaking play? It's like a Cubs game on WGN on steroids...

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 113

Last night featured the WORST announcing I've ever heard in a BCS game. Apparently Brandon Wegher plays for the Buckeyes.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    Quote from above article makes it seem like only on ESPN:

"Of the people who watched the BCS title game on Fox last season, 95 percent had cable or satellite, ESPN said."
    I guess I'm one of the 5% who doesn't. Unless they put them on ESPN360, I guess I'll just be one viewer who won't be watching next year. The BCS games aren't a big enough deal to me to swing me into getting cable/satellite TV (especially now that I have 30+ HD OTA channels available), or to head out to a bar to watch them all. If ISU is playing, I would head out to a friend's place for that game.

What is the quality of the HD on the basic cable tiers that would carry ESPN?

The Dallas Cowboys make arrangements to have any cable-only games (i.e MNF on ESPN) broadcast over a local OTA channel. From what I'm told, other NFL teams do this as well. To me, this seems to indicate that there is a significant demographic of sports viewers that does not have cable/satellite.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    is it just me or is Fox a bit excessive with panning the crowd between every freaking play?
    Agreed. There were several replays I was interested in seeing that were not shown because of this.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 39

Mispronouncing names happens all the time. I am a teacher and that is one of the hardest things to do on the first day. Trying to get the names right is d*** near impossible. Some names look like they should be said this way and they are not. On a side note Ferentz referred to Georgia Tech as Wake Forest last night in the post game.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by mac4cy View Post
    Mispronouncing names happens all the time. I am a teacher and that is one of the hardest things to do on the first day. Trying to get the names right is d*** near impossible. Some names look like they should be said this way and they are not. On a side note Ferentz referred to Georgia Tech as Wake Forest last night in the post game.
    I agree. I've never understood why fans get so upset about that. Are these guys supposed to learn 60 or so pronounciations in a few days of prep?

Even if you've heard them, it doesn't always roll off the tip of your tounge correctly in the real world.