Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Live blog from the United Center - ISU-Duke

Hi Folks.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I know that most on here will be watching the game on ESPN and posting in the game thread tonight.

In an effort to drum up more interest in Cyclone athletics, I convinced my employer to allow me to travel to the game and live blog it in "every man" sort of fashion. Eastern Iowa doesn't get the Cyclone coverage many of us would like, so I'm trying to do what I can and prove there is a little more out there than what exists in Iowa City. By the way, my employer is Gazette Communications.

The live blog can be found at www.gazetteonline.com in the sports area.

If I can master the technology, I'll be uploading a few photos, maybe some video, along with snarky comments about who knows what. I'll try to post stuff that the TV cameras won't see. So, if you want additional info about something that happens tonight during the game, feel free to log on and ask me to run it down.

Go Cyclones!

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 996
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 14

Re: Live blog from the United Center - ISU-Duke

Thanks, Clonepackof1. I'll be checking in.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Well since you are an employee of the Gazette.... check out the first two paragraphs of the article from our bowl win. That was crap. I sure as hell hope you didn't write that garbage.

Last edited by acrozier22; 01-06-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Way to fight the good fight in that hole of delusion they call the gazette.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by acrozier22 View Post
    Well since you are an employer of the Gazette.... check out the first two paragraphs of the article from our bowl win. That was crap. I sure as hell hope you didn't write that garbage.
    I think he's an employee. But no matter, I understand.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post
    I think he's an employee. But no matter, I understand.
    Ummm.....typo!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah. There are some classic lines, but I like this one (not) the best:

The Golden Gophers are also fierce rivals with the Hawkeyes, who drubbed Minnesota and Iowa State by a combined 47-3 this season.

Is it any wonder why ISU never gets any respect at anytime? There was no reason to print the bolded part. None whatsoever. It is a story about ISU and Minnesota. For some reason sportwriters in Iowa think they all have to tie in an Iowa reference in every non-Hawkeye story.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    Yeah. There are some classic lines, but I like this one (not) the best:

The Golden Gophers are also fierce rivals with the Hawkeyes, who drubbed Minnesota and Iowa State by a combined 47-3 this season.

Is it any wonder why ISU never gets any respect at anytime? There was no reason to print the bolded part. None whatsoever. It is a story about ISU and Minnesota. For some reason sportwriters in Iowa think they all have to tie in an Iowa reference in story.
    That is exactly why I won't be following this blog tonight. No credibility on the gazettes part. I live in the CR area and I do not subscribe to the gazette paper.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That is exactly why I won't be following this blog tonight. No credibility on the gazettes part. I live in the CR area and I do not subscribe to the gazette paper.
    I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And actually, you are hurting the Gazette worse by not subscribing, so good job out of you.

I was going to fire off an email to the Gazette sports editor about the pre ISU-Minn. article, but I can't find his email address. I will keep searching

Prospect
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt. Lack of coverage is exactly why I'm here.

You see, I'm not even a news employee. I'm doing this as sort of a social experiment to show that there is indeed interest in Cyclone athletics and they are imiportant enough to cover. I was disturbed by the fact we sent 9 folks down to the Orange Bowl and only one stringer to the Insight (Eric Petersen). He may well be here covering tonight's game as well, but I wanted to make sure SOMEONE was here. We have far too much resource not to do a better job covering this team.

Now, what I'm going to attempt tonight is not exactly hard news. Hopefully it will be 'fun' with a few odds and ends of stuff that the viewing public or ticket buying public doesn't see. For instance, the media room here is right next to the locker rooms and you have to walk down a long hall adorned with Bulls "legends" to get to the court. Another cool thing is that they let the Cyclone ball boys go out and shoot on the court here before people start showing up. Kinda cool of the UC staff to do that and the kids are having a blast.

Anyway, I'm going to go snarf some free press food and try to get some photos to post.

Oh, and I believe that Stacey Dales is the sideline reporter for ESPN tonight, in case anyone cares...

Last, if you want to send notes or call the guy in charge of sports coverage at the Gazette, it's Nick Pugliese. He's a good guy and just joined the company from Florida, so I can assure you he doesn't have any personal bias and would welcome sane conversations.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonepackof1 View Post
    Anyway, I'm going to go snarf some free press food and try to get some photos to post....Oh, and I believe that Stacey Dales is the sideline reporter for ESPN tonight, in case anyone cares...
    Can we take it from this that you know what (who) to take photos of???

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Rookie
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt. Lack of coverage is exactly why I'm here.

You see, I'm not even a news employee. I'm doing this as sort of a social experiment to show that there is indeed interest in Cyclone athletics and they are imiportant enough to cover. I was disturbed by the fact we sent 9 folks down to the Orange Bowl and only one stringer to the Insight (Eric Petersen). He may well be here covering tonight's game as well, but I wanted to make sure SOMEONE was here. We have far too much resource not to do a better job covering this team.

Now, what I'm going to attempt tonight is not exactly hard news. Hopefully it will be 'fun' with a few odds and ends of stuff that the viewing public or ticket buying public doesn't see. For instance, the media room here is right next to the locker rooms and you have to walk down a long hall adorned with Bulls "legends" to get to the court. Another cool thing is that they let the Cyclone ball boys go out and shoot on the court here before people start showing up. Kinda cool of the UC staff to do that and the kids are having a blast.

Anyway, I'm going to go snarf some free press food and try to get some photos to post.

Oh, and I believe that Stacey Dales is the sideline reporter for ESPN tonight, in case anyone cares...

Last, if you want to send notes or call the guy in charge of sports coverage at the Gazette, it's Nick Pugliese. He's a good guy and just joined the company from Florida, so I can assure you he doesn't have any personal bias and would welcome sane conversations.
    I thought Stacey Dales doesn't work for ESPN anymore.

Prospect
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, as it turns out, it's a good thing I'm not a reporter.

First rule, don't trust the UC personnel guy when you ask who the attractive blonde across the court might be...

Teams getting warmed up and fans already pouring in. In fact, there were dudes with ISU bibs standing in line for tickets at the 2.5 hour before tip mark. I think we will be well represented.

Oh, and Singler looks like you could break him in half. How that guy survives inside is beyond me. Guess we'll see in 90 minutes or so.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 610
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 590

Hi Folks.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I know that most on here will be watching the game on ESPN and posting in the game thread tonight.

In an effort to drum up more interest in Cyclone athletics, I convinced my employer to allow me to travel to the game and live blog it in "every man" sort of fashion. Eastern Iowa doesn't get the Cyclone coverage many of us would like, so I'm trying to do what I can and prove there is a little more out there than what exists in Iowa City. By the way, my employer is Gazette Communications.

The live blog can be found at www.gazetteonline.com in the sports area.

If I can master the technology, I'll be uploading a few photos, maybe some video, along with snarky comments about who knows what. I'll try to post stuff that the TV cameras won't see. So, if you want additional info about something that happens tonight during the game, feel free to log on and ask me to run it down.

Go Cyclones!
    Sounds like one heck of a good idea that you've got there. Exactly what we need to counteract the over abundance of hok press we have in Iowa. Good luck to you, congrats on your first posts and I'll take a look at your work (fun)!