Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

If Iowa made the NIT this year...

Is Stevo still the coach?

I was pretty happy when I heard the Hawks got shafted for postseason play, but in hindsight, part of me wishes they wouild have at least made the NIT and perhaps made a bit of a run. Maybe all of this wouldn't have happened.

DAMN YOU NIT, DAMN YOU TO HELL

i am going to miss you NI-Steve

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Re: If Iowa made the NIT this year...

No. He didn't get fired. New Mexico wanted him even with his new level of mediocrity.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

I think he still would've taken this job, had NM still pursued him.

IMO, even if Iowa made the NCAA tournament and NM went after him - he'd be gone.

Just never fit in Iowa City. Him entertaining both Indiana and Missouri after the previous season was indication enough it wasn't if Steve would leave - but when.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Part of me thinks 2 things put Steve, Barta and the fans over the edge

1. No post season this year really frustrated the fan base, it seemed almost to new levels. Almost every hawk fan I know and heard on the radio who was holding out hope this year turned their frustration towards the coach it seemed.

2. When Barta came out and said essentially NCAA tourney next year bust put alford in a bad situation, because we all know they do not have a NCAA tourney team next season, at least as they stand right now.

Had Iowa made the NIT, I think neither of these things happen and PERHAPS steve is still the coach.

The other part of me thinks he would have taken the job regardless of the situation. Things were getting bad in hawk land.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

You are right on this 22. Steve wanted to get the hell out of Iowa City. It was a tough go for him, he alienated people right away. You can be a jerk, but you better win more that he did there.

He saw the writing on the wall when Barta made his famous statement on Jon Miller's show. He knew that they were going to probably struggle next year with a very young team, and that was going to give the AD the clout to boot his *** to the curb.

In all honesty, I didn't watch much Iowa basketball last year, but I thought he did a pretty good job with that team. And with the changes in his staff, his recruiting was improving. We may have caught a break, because I was thinking that they were going to be pretty solid in a couple years. The coaching change sets them back, especially if Smith goes to Memphis like the rumors say.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    In all honesty, I didn't watch much Iowa basketball last year, but I thought he did a pretty good job with that team. And with the changes in his staff, his recruiting was improving. We may have caught a break, because I was thinking that they were going to be pretty solid in a couple years. The coaching change sets them back, especially if Smith goes to Memphis like the rumors say.
    I agree that from a coaching standpoint, he did a good job this year. They did much better than I anticipated, and they really improved throughout the year, with the exceptions being at MSU and PSU. You can say a lot of things about Alford, but he's put together some pretty good defensive teams the last few years.

But the thing is, I think he did a good job of coaching considering the personnel he was working with on the floor. And who is responsible for that personnel? That's Alford, and 8 years into a regime, there's no reason for them to be in that position. What would Iowa's teams have been if they didn't get their entire backcourt from previous Iowa State commits?

As far as the Memphis rumor, where did you hear this? It's the first I have heard of it.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

Jeff,

We most certainly have caught a break and better take advantage of it while we have time!

I think Steve was just a little too cocky even for the Iowa crowd. He did have Sweet 16 credentials when he came to town, but obviously didn't get it done in Iowa City.

You know the guy pretty much graduated most players and ran a clean program(with the huge exception of Pierre Pierce.). I thought they exceeded expectations this year(with Mr. Haluska's help). But the the die was cast. This is good move for both parties. They both get a fresh start and Coach Alford did come out smelling like a rose as you pointed out.

Last edited by Bobber; 03-22-2007 at 12:04 PM.