Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

No Love from CFN

I read College Football News' reviews of the game and most of the talk was about how this was a terrible game and that this is an example of why there are too many bowl games. However, the one that really got under my skin was Richard Ciminiello's analysis.
    Ciminiello had great things to say about the budding relationship between CPR, Iowa State University and the Cyclone nation. Where I differ with him is his anaylsis is that he claims, "He wonít routinely beat out Iowa for the stateís best prospect and heíll always be well behind the likes of Nebraska, Texas, and Oklahoma in terms of overall depth and star power. Thatís reality." Perhaps I'm mistaken, but didn't ISU briefly take the lead from Iowa on in state recruiting early in the decade? It seems to me that as the Cyclone Power train gathered steam in the new millineium that State was grabbing the state's best athletes? Perhaps I'm mistaken. But I just don't believe that ISU has to always behind Nebby and Iowa. Sure, it will take time and wins, but I see CPR taking ISU to places we've never been and perhaps making us the dominant power of the Big XII north. I'm sure that the same pundits were saying that KSU could never be a star of the football world prior to Billy boy.
    So my question is, why not ISU? I feel the tide slowly but surely rising and it's colored cardinal!

Scout.com: Instant Analysis - ISU Survives The Gophers

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Re: No Love from CFN

that's the part that got under your skin? the whole article was under my skin

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 349

To an outsider, this was a terrible, boring game between two mediocre teams. Just because we're bias to our team, doesn't mean we can't look at it from the outside and see that we may be getting better but that we still have a LONG way to go to even look decent in comparison to the top 30-40 teams in the country.

Last edited by Jeremy; 01-01-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LutherClone View Post
    Perhaps I'm mistaken, but didn't ISU briefly take the lead from Iowa on in state recruiting early in the decade? It seems to me that as the Cyclone Power train gathered steam in the new millineium that State was grabbing the state's best athletes?
    Big-time. Todd Blythe, Aaron Brant, Bret Meyer, Jason Scales, Ben Barkema, Milan Moses, and Austen Arnaud, among others, come to mind. But a CFN writer is not going to know the details of ISU's in-state recruiting success 3 coaches back.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    To an outsider, this was a terrible, boring game between two mediocre teams. Just because we're bias to our team, doesn't mean we can't look at it from the outside and see that we may be getting better but we still have a LONG way to go to even look decent in comparison to the top 30-40 teams in the country.

True. This is why I wrote in another thread about why Sean Keeler's DMR article today was better suited for a national publication than a local one. I expect a national writer to dismiss the significance of our game, but not a local one. Probably half of the bowls don't have national significance, apart from the great meaning that they have to the teams that play in them and those of us who just love watching game after competitive game at this time of year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,552
    Given: 277

To an outsider, this was a terrible, boring game between two mediocre teams. Just because we're bias to our team, doesn't mean we can't look at it from the outside and see that we may be getting better but that we still have a LONG way to go to even look decent in comparison to the top 30-40 teams in the country.
    Agreed.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 79

Thanks Jeremy, some of the people on this board drink so much kool-aid and have such thick ISU glasses on they cannot see what is going on with this team. The game was horrible except for parts of the second and third quarter when the teams were moving and scoring. There was a lot of bad football played.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Media outside iowa cannot appreciate our year to year progress under CPR. It was an ugly game to them and to many of us but it is still a big step forward for ISU. A W is a W, pretty or not.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Don't agree with you on this one Jeremy. I may be bias, but I enjoyed watching the game. How many bowl games will come down to a turnover when all hope is fading for a team. We had some big plays and if it wasn't for some mistakes by AA we would have clobbered those guys. All and all I would rather watch our game again as I would say MU/Navy (2 top 40 teams).

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

just because a game is low scoring doesn't mean it's boring, a lot of people like defensive struggle, plus i agree with the poster who said that not many bowl games come down to a final turnover

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136

CFN also predicted ISU to go 3-9 (0-8).

ISU finished 7-6 (3-5).

They can cram it with walnuts.

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by LutherClone View Post
    I read College Football News' reviews of the game and most of the talk was about how this was a terrible game and that this is an example of why there are too many bowl games. However, the one that really got under my skin was Richard Ciminiello's analysis.
    Ciminiello had great things to say about the budding relationship between CPR, Iowa State University and the Cyclone nation. Where I differ with him is his anaylsis is that he claims, "He wonít routinely beat out Iowa for the stateís best prospect and heíll always be well behind the likes of Nebraska, Texas, and Oklahoma in terms of overall depth and star power. Thatís reality." Perhaps I'm mistaken, but didn't ISU briefly take the lead from Iowa on in state recruiting early in the decade? It seems to me that as the Cyclone Power train gathered steam in the new millineium that State was grabbing the state's best athletes? Perhaps I'm mistaken. But I just don't believe that ISU has to always behind Nebby and Iowa. Sure, it will take time and wins, but I see CPR taking ISU to places we've never been and perhaps making us the dominant power of the Big XII north. I'm sure that the same pundits were saying that KSU could never be a star of the football world prior to Billy boy.
    So my question is, why not ISU? I feel the tide slowly but surely rising and it's colored cardinal!

Scout.com: Instant Analysis - ISU Survives The Gophers
    I might disagree about routinely beating Iowa for the state's best prospect. I think a lot of that depends on where the kid is from. If the state's best prospect comes out of Ames high, or anywhere in central/western Iowa for the next 10 years straight, I think ISU has a pretty good shot at it.

Other than that, it's foolish to think we won't always be behind Nebraska, Texas and Oklahoma in terms of overall depth and star power.

ISU has nowhere near the resources, motivation and incentive to perform that Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, or for that matter Iowa, does. There's nothing wrong with accepting the reality - at least for now - that ISU's next step is to be a competitive team in the middle of the Big XII consistently, going to average/good bowls year-in and year-out. That's a far cry from winning Big XII or Big X titles and going to BCS bowls consistently.

Iowa is maybe a cat of a different color, though. On the field, I think we have every opportunity to beat them regularly. Whether that will translate into a better season for ISU is debatable, but it sure doesn't hurt in any way.

KSU is an interesting comparison, but they are rarely deeper or more talented than Oklahoma, Texas and Nebraska. They field largely a juco all-star team every year when they are successful, and they schedule the creamiest creampuffs possible. I don't think that's something ISU is interested in doing. They also are rarely mentioned amongst the elite of the Big XII, regardless of their recent history.

I know the Kool-Aid is flowing, but ISU has still only won 3 minor bowl games in it's entire 117 years of playing football. Talk of us taking on the Oklahomas, Texases and Nebraskas of the world on a regular basis and coming out on top is pretty absurd to the objective observer.

People don't even talk about Texas Tech, Oklahoma State or Texas A&M in those terms, and they have much greater history of success than we do.

Now I'm not saying that CPR and ISU will forever be relegated to the basement of the Big XII, but even being mentioned as one of the middle pack programs isn't going to happen overnight. Winning a minor bowl game against a Big X opponent (even a weak one) is a great step forward, but it's not a massive jump.

I thought CFN's comments were great, to be honest, if not a big negative towards the game. Let's face it, that was by no means a pretty football game.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though :)

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 349

It wasn't a defensive matchup as much as a matchup of two inept offenses - both sides are just as bad at defense as offense.

It was certainly a great step forward for ISU and the improvement is great - I'm simply stating that from an outsider, this was a game equal to watching Troy, Idaho, Wyoming or that level caliber of teams.

Great progress, but we're still probably in 50-70 range of football programs right now. Hard to admit that, but it's better than where we were 15 years ago and I think we'll be progressively better in the future.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 613

It wasn't a defensive matchup as much as a matchup of two inept offenses - both sides are just as bad at defense as offense.

It was certainly a great step forward for ISU and the improvement is great - I'm simply stating that from an outsider, this was a game equal to watching Troy, Idaho, Wyoming or that level caliber of teams.

Great progress, but we're still probably in 50-70 range of football programs right now. Hard to admit that, but it's better than where we were 15 years ago and I think we'll be progressively better in the future.

I think this team has earned a top 65 spot. I totally agree. We beat 2 teams that went to bowl games. That is something pretty solid for us.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 135
    Given: 239

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    Big-time. Todd Blythe, Aaron Brant, Bret Meyer, Jason Scales, Ben Barkema, Milan Moses, and Austen Arnaud, among others, come to mind. But a CFN writer is not going to know the details of ISU's in-state recruiting success 3 coaches back.
    And if Mac hadn't held his own against the Hawks, we wouldn't have had the credibility to get those players you listed.
    It's preposterous to read posts on this site saying Nebraska is a "bigger game" than Iowa.
    For CPR to get his share of the best Iowa kids, he has to beat the Hawks. And he knows it.