Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Tailgate with Satellite TV

Ok, so the Tripod arrived today. One Step Closer to having Satellite TV at Jack Trice next year. My set up will include a Group 27 Deep Cycle Battery, 200 Watt inverter, 15" LCD TV, Standard Definition Directtv receiver, Car Stereo, Speakers, 3' Tripod and a used Direct TV dish. Planning to build a simple box to house the TV and Stereo Set up so it is easy to take in and out of the Tahoe and to store when not in use.

My question is if I buy an 18" Round Dish for Directtv, will this work? I am a little confused about all of the different satellites in the sky and the complicated dishes that receive them, for tailgaiting - I am looking for Simple SD Reception. I am hoping for the simplest set up to get ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, Etc. Local channels a plus but not at the expense of a more complicated set up.

Thanks in advane.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 601

Re: Tailgate with Satellite TV

Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    Ok, so the Tripod arrived today. One Step Closer to having Satellite TV at Jack Trice next year. My set up will include a Group 27 Deep Cycle Battery, 200 Watt inverter, 15" LCD TV, Standard Definition Directtv receiver, Car Stereo, Speakers, 3' Tripod and a used Direct TV dish. Planning to build a simple box to house the TV and Stereo Set up so it is easy to take in and out of the Tahoe and to store when not in use.

My question is if I buy an 18" Round Dish for Directtv, will this work? I am a little confused about all of the different satellites in the sky and the complicated dishes that receive them, for tailgaiting - I am looking for Simple SD Reception. I am hoping for the simplest set up to get ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, Etc. Local channels a plus but not at the expense of a more complicated set up.

Thanks in advane.
    Do you happen to have a laptop and internet access? I've used slingbox the last 2 years and it's worked like a charm. No satellites to set-up and I can control my directv DVR at my house.

I do like the idea of building a portable box. I've thought about doing something like that but I've never seen a good design.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I do have an AT&T Broadband Card and Laptop but I have all of this stuff that just says build something, I'll post a picture of the TV "Box" once complete, the rear space between the back seats of my Tahoe are only like 10" so it will definitely be thin and relatively simple, we also Camp a lot so the Satellite set up will be good for extended camping trips and some Iowa Speedway events.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Can't wait to see the box. I would love to put some kind of TV/IPod/Stereo with speakers combo with a battery.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 1,063

Thanks in advane.
    An 18" round dish with one LNB will work for the channels that you are wanting to get. Simple and straightforward. One satellite that you will have to aim at and you can find the location of it during the DirecTV setup. I have had mine for the last two years in lot D2 and no problems with setting up or reception. 18" round dishes can be had for free as DirecTV is replacing them, upon request, with the new 3 LNB dishes that get HD and local channels.

I requested the new 3 LNB dish and DirecTV brought it out to me for free and told me to keep the old one. So I have both plus the old 18" on the house.

Last edited by aauummm; 12-30-2009 at 10:24 PM.

Prospect
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You should ask these guys for help with your questions.
    SatelliteGuys.US

Great forum with lots of info and helpful members.

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Thanks in advane.
    Yup, should work fine. What you won't get, I believe, is any HD channels, some of the RSNs, and possibly local channels depending on where they are living (I've always had a 3LNB and haven't done much research on which ones go where).

You just need to try to hit the 101 satellite and you should be good to go with everything you're looking for.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Yup, should work fine. What you won't get, I believe, is any HD channels, some of the RSNs, and possibly local channels depending on where they are living (I've always had a 3LNB and haven't done much research on which ones go where).

You just need to try to hit the 101 satellite and you should be good to go with everything you're looking for.
    thanks for the feedback everyone, will look for a cheap or free 18" Dish to set on the tripod.

Cooped up here at Grandma's house and been planning out the box set up. The box will be 24" x 24" x 10" deep and include a 15" LCD TV (on hand), Directtv standard receiver (on hand), a cheap Car Stereo ($37) just bought on Amazon with USB input, SD input, and Ipod Mini Plug, 400 Watt Inverter just bought at Amazon ($27), rubberized Car Stereo Antenna from Amazon ($9) and some 6x9 Speakers I have laying around. Plan is to be able to use the set up in my garage when not tailgating, in this case - will power the stereo with a 5 amp AC to DC converter originally bought for a thermoelectric cooler that is on hand.

Can't wait to get home to put it all together!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

thanks for the feedback everyone, will look for a cheap or free 18" Dish to set on the tripod.

Cooped up here at Grandma's house and been planning out the box set up. The box will be 24" x 24" x 10" deep and include a 15" LCD TV (on hand), Directtv standard receiver (on hand), a cheap Car Stereo ($37) just bought on Amazon with USB input, SD input, and Ipod Mini Plug, 400 Watt Inverter just bought at Amazon ($27), rubberized Car Stereo Antenna from Amazon ($9) and some 6x9 Speakers I have laying around. Plan is to be able to use the set up in my garage when not tailgating, in this case - will power the stereo with a 5 amp AC to DC converter originally bought for a thermoelectric cooler that is on hand.

Please take pictures. This is exactly what I have in mind.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 7

If I have a digital tv can I pick up any local stations with just rabbit ears in the parking lot?

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Don't forget a sandbag or two, or maybe some cinder blocks to hold it down. That dish will catch plenty of wind. I'd say you might be able to get away with a case of beer or two, but that will only work for the first part of the tailgate :D

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com