Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 28,510, Level: 51
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    EddieISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Waukee "The Key", iowa
    Posts
    1,532
    Points
    28,510
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

    How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    If the findings in Lubbock are true about how Craig James's kid Adam was treated, how would you handle it if it was your kid involved and you got the phone call about what was happening? Personally, I'm tired of these over paid, ego-driven, power thrusting coaches and their misguiding fantasy's of who they are. Some of the problem lies with us fans and how we elevate these guys in society and think they are holier than thou. I'm glad we have a well grounded and good guy at Iowa State in Coach Rhoads.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    IF it was true I'd be at his office in less than 24 hours and I'd sit and wait until he got there.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 11,464, Level: 32
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CyTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    706
    Points
    11,464
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    Big deal, he had to stand in a dark equipment room...was he afraid of the dark and this was why it was so terrible. It's not like he made him run wind sprints or anything. Hazing happens in every program, if the AD liked Mike Leach we wouldn't even know about this.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    I think this whole situation is more about the sensitivity and entitlement kids have these days. It sure sounds like James was a spoiled brat who didn't want to work all year long but wanted to play. It's not because coaches are being held in any higher regard or anything like that, I guarantee you this would have been the mildest of standard practices 30+ years ago.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 356,130, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,945
    Points
    356,130
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 42

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieISU View Post
    If the findings in Lubbock are true about how Craig James's kid Adam was treated, how would you handle it if it was your kid involved and you got the phone call about what was happening? Personally, I'm tired of these over paid, ego-driven, power thrusting coaches and their misguiding fantasy's of who they are. Some of the problem lies with us fans and how we elevate these guys in society and think they are holier than thou. I'm glad we have a well grounded and good guy at Iowa State in Coach Rhoads.
    I think you may have a different idea of Rhoads if you actually saw him in practice. I'm not saying he does the wrong things, I am just saying it seems you kind of have a blurry picture of how PR is compared to the rest of the NCAA coaches. All coaches do the stuff Leach did. Leach didn't hurt him. He sent him to a garage. A garage with a fan, water, ice cooler. This wasn't dangerous. The kid apparently had been cleared to practice but didn't want to. I would tell my kid if he doesn't want to practice than he needs to give up the game. There are things 10X worse that coaches do that never get brought up but since this is Craig James' kid and the AD doesn't like Leach, all hell has broken loose.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 356,130, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,945
    Points
    356,130
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 42

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    I think this whole situation is more about the sensitivity and entitlement kids have these days. It sure sounds like James was a spoiled brat who didn't want to work all year long but wanted to play. It's not because coaches are being held in any higher regard or anything like that, I guarantee you this would have been the mildest of standard practices 30+ years ago.
    Bear Bryants kids would have killed for a shed.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 50,942, Level: 69
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,832
    Points
    50,942
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    I think that it is being handled poorly right now. Using the media in this regard could result in damaging leach for good. What ever happened to handling stuff like a man.

    Craig James should've gone there to have a good discussion about this with Leach after the first time this happened. Right now he is just using his position at ESPN to throw mud at Leach.

    If Mike Leach would like to come to ISU to be an offensive consultant, I would have no problem with that at all.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 145,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,716
    Points
    145,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    1. You are supposed to be dressed in team issues gear even if you are injured, not jeans and sunglasses
    2. You are expected to participate in some sort of activity during practice even if you are injured, James didn't want to.

    Sounds to me like he was treated like anyone who blatently violated team rules.



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 50,942, Level: 69
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,832
    Points
    50,942
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    1. You are supposed to be dressed in team issues gear even if you are injured, not jeans and sunglasses
    2. You are expected to participate in some sort of activity during practice even if you are injured, James didn't want to.

    Sounds to me like he was treated like anyone who blatently violated team rules.

    Yeah, but Daddy James played in the NFL and works for ESPN which means that he should be an instant starter without practicing.

    Sounds to me like he was a spoiled brat.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,669, Level: 82
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,334
    Points
    70,669
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 349
    Given: 684

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    I have lost all respect for Craig James, as someone who played college football he should know how it is and what goes on behind the scenes.

    If it was my kid I would have told my kid to toughen up and practice, and if he didn't like it in TT to transfer somewhere else. You need to be physically, mentally and emotionally tough to play college football and if you can't handle a little abuse (no physical abuse was even used in this situation) then go find a different hobby.

    Next thing you will see mommy and daddy telling the Marine Corps Drill Sargeant's they were to hard on the kids also.

    Just a side note, when I got a concussion against Missouri my senior year I didn't get to sit on the sidelines during practice and jack around, I had to go with Getty and do "special" workouts that all injured players had to do. And trust me I would have rather been practicing!!!!!!!!!


    Last edited by isufbcurt; 12-30-2009 at 08:27 AM.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    I have lost all respect for Craig James, as someone who played college football he should know how it is and what goes on behind the scenes.

    If it was my kid I would have told my kid to toughen up and practice, and if he didn't like it in TT to transfer somewhere else. You need to be physically, mentally and emotionally tough to play college football and if you can't handle a little abuse (no physical abuse was even used in this situation) then go find a different hobby.

    Next thing you will see mommy and daddy telling the Marine Corps Drill Sargeant's they were to hard on the kids also.
    Exactly.
    And Craig James should know better. Go down there yourself and have a conversation with the man. Kids are known to exaggerate situations, especially to sympathetic parents.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    I'd slap Mike Leach and say "I'm Craig James, *****!"



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 79,713, Level: 87
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SC Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,319
    Points
    79,713
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 78

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    If I played and was recruited by Leach to play at Texas Tech and he got fired for this, the James kid and I would have a little sit-down meeting...closed door.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 167,404, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,410
    Points
    167,404
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 987

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    As odd as this whole situation is I'm still trying to figure out why there is so much outrage. Sure locking someone up is a bad idea but a fire-able offense? Weird, just weird.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 356,130, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,945
    Points
    356,130
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 42

    Re: How would you handle the Texas Tech situation if it was your kid?

    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    Exactly.
    And Craig James should know better. Go down there yourself and have a conversation with the man. Kids are known to exaggerate situations, especially to sympathetic parents.
    Why would Craig James know better? I certainly never thought he was that great of a person. He was a member of a football program that was placed under the strictest punishment ever in college sports. I'm not saying he definately did something wrong there but there doesn't seem to be many people that were at SMU at the time that weren't involved. I think it could speak something about his integrity and his perception of what he or his son is.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM