Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 5

Flight Questions

We're flying down to Phoenix tomorrow and just had a few questions for those of you who have a lot of experience flying:

We are flying American Airlines with Economy/Coach Class tickets that we got a package deal through Expedia. Will there be baggage charges? Trying to decide if we should try to pack everything in 1 big suitcase or 2 smaller suitcases (1 per person)?

Also we are flying into Dallas first and then Dallas to Phoenix departing at 9:45 pm from dallas. I saw the weather in dallas is forecasted to be cold and rainy all afternoon with temps dropping to 32 at 9 pm. Should we expect to get delayed or can they keep everything de-iced at around freezing???

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

Re: Flight Questions

Expect deicing for an extra 20 minutes. Cold weather in texas this week.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 135

Yeah, you'll get charged for baggage with AA. If you do decide to combine, make sure its under the weight limit, otherwise they'll just tag it with an overweight bag fee. Depending on how small the suitcases are,you could try carrying them on and putting them in the overhead rack.

I know less about airport operations and deicing, but id guess there probably wont be that much icing problems with it just barely hitting freezing

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 753
    Given: 3,023

I'm pretty sure American is $20 for the first bag, $30 for the second. Yep, just confirmed:

Baggage fees for major airlines

As alarson said, one bag is great as long as it's under the weight limit. It's probably cheaper to have two under-limit bags than one over-limit (depending on how overweight it is).

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I'm pretty sure American is $20 for the first bag, $30 for the second. Yep, just confirmed:

Baggage fees for major airlines

As alarson said, one bag is great as long as it's under the weight limit. It's probably cheaper to have two under-limit bags than one over-limit (depending on how overweight it is).
    And the weight limit for most airlines is 50 lbs per bag. Remember to leave a little space and weight out of the bag if you plan to bring home souvenirs!

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 5

I'll just carry-on a small bag and then wear all of my clothes in layers on to the plane. Anything to save a buck.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have flown through Dallas many times, and I can't remember a time when I haven't been delayed. As far as airports go, however, it's not a bad place to be delayed, if there is such a thing, plenty of stuff there to occupy yourself. If you've got an hour-15 plus between flights, you should be OK.

Taking an MD-80 to DFW and an ERJ to PHX, I'd guess? If so, be prepared to have your carry-on stowed on the way to Phoenix, those regional jets are tight for space.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 60

FYI - My aunt was flying in from Phoenix for Christmas and since she was not through security 2 hours before hand they ripped up her ticket and told her she had to purchase another one if she wanted to fly. She was even there on time, but security took a little longer than expected. I am not saying this is going to happen, but just wanted to forewarn you.

Cyclone Sports: The next best thing since MOTHER'S MILK!

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

As far as Dallas goes, you can expect to be delayed regardless of the weather.

I always carry on since it's more convenient, but you can carry on a smallish suitcase/garment bag, plus one personal item (think laptop bag or backpack). Some people take that to an extreme, and make their personal item almost as big as their suitcase.

And if I had to guess, I'd guess an ERJ to DFW, and then an MD-80 to PHX. So no matter what you pack, you're going to have to gate check it when you get on the ERJ.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by yler4cy View Post
    FYI - My aunt was flying in from Phoenix for Christmas and since she was not through security 2 hours before hand they ripped up her ticket and told her she had to purchase another one if she wanted to fly. She was even there on time, but security took a little longer than expected. I am not saying this is going to happen, but just wanted to forewarn you.
    I have NEVER heard of anything remotely close to this happening.

My guess is there is more to this story than your aunt is telling you.

If you're late/miss a flight, in my experience they will generally do their best to accommodate you on a later flight or on a different airline, though there might be a smallish fee involved depending on the fare difference.

For domestic flights, you are supposed to be in the gate area 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure, though as long as you're checked in before then, and in the gate area 10-15 minutes before departure you're generally fine.

For international ones I think it's checked in 60 minutes prior and in the gate area 30 minutes prior.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

Not calling you out, but there is more to the story than that. I have never ever been through security more than 2 hrs early, heck in DSM, I usually try and get through 30 min early. Never an issue.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Doesn't sound right..or believable.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Yeah, I've checked in 25 minutes before a flight once and made the flight. They were closing the doors as I got the gate, but I made it on. There is more going on.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 121

My mom flew in to DSM from Dallas Thursday. She was at the ticket counter about an hour before her flight and they said she was too late and would have to get on stand-by.

I know that's usually not an issue in Iowa but with all the new regulations coming out this week how early should I be at the airport in Cedar Rapids?

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    I have NEVER heard of anything remotely close to this happening.

My guess is there is more to this story than your aunt is telling you.

If you're late/miss a flight, in my experience they will generally do their best to accommodate you on a later flight or on a different airline, though there might be a smallish fee involved depending on the fare difference.

For domestic flights, you are supposed to be in the gate area 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure, though as long as you're checked in before then, and in the gate area 10-15 minutes before departure you're generally fine.

For international ones I think it's checked in 60 minutes prior and in the gate area 30 minutes prior.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Not calling you out, but there is more to the story than that. I have never ever been through security more than 2 hrs early, heck in DSM, I usually try and get through 30 min early. Never an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4429 mcc View Post
    Doesn't sound right..or believable.
    Gotta agree with these guys. I've shown up 20 minutes before boarding time in Cedar Rapids and been fine. They can't tear up your ticket for not being there 2 hours early. As long as you are there before the doors close on the plane, which is about 10 minutes before departure, then you are fine.

42-54 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.