Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thoughts on Colts pulling out starters

Something else comes to mind when they pulled out their starters in the 2nd half. If you noticed, Jets couldn't really do much against the colts. Now, as much as i wanted to see an undefeated season, besides the obvious, this was an extremely smart move.

Let the jets win, hope the bengals bench their starters too in their game to give them a playoff birth. The jets are almost paved all the way into the playoffs. Now, if jets survive up to the colts. You can expect an easy win.

Out of the jets, patriots, colts, broncos, bengals, or ravens, im sure colts would gladly pick the jets out of all of them.

So as much as i'm mad at the colts giving the game away, you gotta admit, it puts them in an easier position to win out. Shove the easier oponents into the playoffs and keep the harder ones out

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Thoughts on Colts pulilng out starters

I think all the fans that were booing would be extremely terrified if they had to see Matt Painter leading them into the playoffs, if anything happened to Peyton in meaningless games. In the end, the regular season and records obtained throughout it mean absolutely nothing. It seems like every single season my Eagles have had a really good shot of making a run, they have lost a key player in the last couple of weeks. usually in a meaningless game...

Long story short. It was the right decision...

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 24

I would rather have them loose the rest of the regular season games, and be healthy enough to win the Super Bowl.

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

They owe it to the 1643 other players in the league as well as the coaches and front office staff that also prepare year-around to play it 100%. There are teams battling for their playoff lives and for you to give a team a win is selfish and cowardly. Sure there is a risk of injury, but that is part of the game. There is inherint risk. However, there is and should be a code of ethics among the teams and players.

The Colts are not "my team" but I do root for them because they are a likeable team. That changed yesterday and I hope they get bounced by the Jets in the playoffs.

Rookie
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isu200023 View Post
    They owe it to the 1643 other players in the league as well as the coaches and front office staff that also prepare year-around to play it 100%. There are teams battling for their playoff lives and for you to give a team a win is selfish and cowardly. Sure there is a risk of injury, but that is part of the game. There is inherint risk. However, there is and should be a code of ethics among the teams and players.

The Colts are not "my team" but I do root for them because they are a likeable team. That changed yesterday and I hope they get bounced by the Jets in the playoffs.
    They don't owe anything to anyone but themselves. So the Colts should have played everyone, bounced the Jets from the playoffs and risked injury so that the Ravens or some other team could get in? Whatever happened to making your own destiny?

"Bring it all to the table. Don't hold nothin' back," he said. "I want you. I want the ball. I want your head. I throw my body into 'em and hit them." - #23 Leonard Johnson

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 474

The Colts owe it to their fans to make every best effort to win the Super Bowl. If that means resting players what's the big deal? They won enough games so far this year to be afforded the luxury of resting guys. The rest of the league should have beaten them at least once if they have a problem with it. I'm no Colts fan but child please.

Ussain Bolt rested at the end of his gold medal race. He earned that right in the first 70% of the race.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

Personally, I think that you should get the win first, and then pull the starters. I think that losing momentum is a more dangerous risk than losing any starters.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Personally, I think that you should get the win first, and then pull the starters. I think that losing momentum is a more dangerous risk than losing any starters.
    Agreed. They've learned nothing from history.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 474

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    While I don't disagree with this I don't agree that they owe it to the league to play the starters. Pulling the starters may be a mistake, from a Colts standpoint, but the rest of the league had their chance at them.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 347
    Given: 699

The Colts earned the right to rest their players by beating everyone they faced up until that point. They don't owe any other team anything. It's a sport, it's not selfish to want your team to have the best opportunity to win.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,676
    Given: 169

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    While I don't disagree with this I don't agree that they owe it to the league to play the starters. Pulling the starters may be a mistake, from a Colts standpoint, but the rest of the league had their chance at them.
    I agree with this, I don't think pulling starters is generally a smart thing to do, but they certainly have the right to do it since they clinched their spot early. No team owes anything to any other team, they all should be making decisions that they think give themselves the best shot at winning a Super Bowl.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 794

This is my main argument against a playoff for college football, it makes going undefeated less important and I don't like that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,676
    Given: 169

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    This is my main argument against a playoff for college football, it makes going undefeated less important and I don't like that.
    Completely different, teams go undefeated every year in college, and you shouldn't have to go undefeated to be able to play for the championship, which is often the case.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 347
    Given: 699

With the amount of teams in college football, I don't think it would be an issue.

Rookie
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Completely different, teams go undefeated every year in college, and you shouldn't have to go undefeated to be able to play for the championship, which is often the case.
    So if Florida benched Tebow and Alabama benched Ingram for the SEC championship game, because each team had clinched a playoff spot, you think the game would have had the same level of excitment and meaning? Would they give the Heisman out as a mid-season award?