Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Get new HDTV or fix current HDTV??

I have a Samsung HP-T5054 50" Plasma TV that I bought in '07 and have enjoyed ever since. In '07, the TV was pretty expensive and carries some emotional baggage because of its initial price (even though now I can get the same TV for 1/3rd the price I paid).

To make a long story short, I woke up Thursday morning to find that said TV would not turn on. Yes, I tried all the various easy troubleshooting tactics without any results. The standby light was also not lit...which tells me that there is a power problem.

In my research, I've found that the power supply module sometimes goes out on Samsung TVs because of "lightweight" capacitors...or something. Called Samsung and they will be calling me tomorrow (Monday) to schedule an appointment.

My question to everyone in Cycloneland is:

1)Has anybody heard of this problem or had this problem?...and if so, what will I be looking at (cost) to fix this thing??
    2a)What is a good break point for repair cost that would direct me to just pony up and buy a new TV and not have the current TV serviced?
    2b)If I get a new TV...should I get an extended warrenty because of problems like this?

The Samsung I have is only a 720p...so I want to lean toward getting a 50ish-inch LCD to get some 1080p picture at a semi-reasonable price (especially at post-Christmas prices)....but don't know if it makes more sense to just fix the expensive (at the time I bought it) TV I have.

I need some feedback from anyone willing to offer it...

Thanks all!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Re: Get new HDTV or fix current HDTV??

Not sure about your specific TV, but our beloved HDTV is having a problem as well, apparently also well known problem for the Sony Wega, the Optical Blocks go bad and blue dots take over the picture, for me - its a no brainer, the repair is over $500 and a replacement TV just as good as the one I have could be had for $500, I am holding out though to get a bigger and better one, hopefully the TV will hold out until I get the money saved to get the better one, my plan is to buy the best one I can with the money I have saved when it does finally bite the dust

Good luck. I have never been fan of extended warranties, but it does seem like some of these TV's have known problems, in our case it was right at 5 years so the Extended warranty would have done no good...

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

IMO, fix it if it's less than the replacement cost.

If all it is is a power supply module, I can't imagine it being all that expensive to replace. Power supplies for that model retail for around 350, but can be found for about half of that online. While it's not a "service-yourself" sort of item, unless you're handy with electronics, it can't be more than an hour job. All-in, worst case, I think you'd probably be looking at around 500 bucks.

I'd have no qualms about replacing it with an identical one and saving yourself a ton of money. 1080p is a negligible upgrade, and if Plasma works for you where it's at, I wouldn't think that LCD would be better, and may in fact be worse.

Also, instead of purchasing extended warranties for electronics you buy, just put the money in an account and leave it there, if you're concerned about that sort of thing. Unless you have horrible horrible luck with electronics, you'll come out way ahead in the long run. Extended warranties are almost always a loser for consumers. I have never bought one, and never regretted not buying one.

YMMV.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

I have an hdtv that is known to have capacitors go bad. Replacement cost for the dm board was in the hundreds. I took the board out and replaced the caps for twenty bucks. Are you handy and/or adventurous??

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

If it will costs you hundreds for the repair then you might a s well consider buying a new one. Take for example the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV. It will only cost you 725 bucks for this item which is not bad. The smaller 42" version is impressively rated at 86 so definitely it's a best bang for the buck so to speak.

Meanwhile, the best LCD TV for the budget might be Sharp AQUOS LC52D85U 52" LCD TV. It's a 120Hz tv and has a good expert rating of 74 but compared to other brands with the same screen size, this item will set you back for around 1.5k only.

Just saying.

Walk On
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

A couple of thoughts and my experience:

1. Extended warranty - I purchased a 50" DLP about 6-7 years ago. Top of the line at that time. Hate to admit it but they were over $3000 then. I really enjoyed it and I did purchase the extended warranty. Felt good about it when the color wheel or something like that went out 2 1/2 years in and had it fixed for free. Quoted me $900 to fix it. So there, the extended warranty was worth it. The free repair paid for the extended warranty and then some. I have purchased many extended warranties that I never used though, and I have since stopped purchasing them. Seems like the cost goes up 15-40% with the warranty and I am now willing to risk it.

2. Emotional attachment - this summer, same TV would not turn on occasionally. Problem got worse and I had a decision to make. I figured that since I had many years of good use out of it, I would recycle it and get a new TV. I doubt that I would have made that decision a year or two into the purchase though. I would have felt that I did not get my money's worth out of it and I really liked the TV. Don't know if that makes any sense at all, but that is how I would have felt.

Prospect
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Many good thoughts everyone!! Just the sort of feedback I wanted to get.

I would have no problem going out and getting a replacement TV (50" plasma) or fixing my current TV, however, I plan to be moving within the next year and am afraid to move it to said location. I've heard that you've got to be careful moving plasmas around.

If someone could settle my fears about that issue, I would more than likely consider fixing mine and keeping it around. I think I prefer the plasma picture to LCD and LED.

Thanks again all!!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 302

Plasma's are a little touchy to move around but as long as you just handle the moving yourself, keep it upright, etc. you should be fine.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Plasma's are a little touchy to move around but as long as you just handle the moving yourself, keep it upright, etc. you should be fine.
    Yup. And, as is probably true of most electronics, you should let it adjust to the temperature in the new location before turning it on (i.e. don't go from cold outside to warm inside and fire it right up, or vice-versa).

BTW, the main reason to keep it upright is to keep the weight of the glass panel from squishing the electronics or cracking. It's far less likely to do so when it's upright.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Trout4CY View Post
    I have a Samsung HP-T5054 50" Plasma TV that I bought in '07 and have enjoyed ever since. In '07, the TV was pretty expensive and carries some emotional baggage because of its initial price (even though now I can get the same TV for 1/3rd the price I paid).

To make a long story short, I woke up Thursday morning to find that said TV would not turn on. Yes, I tried all the various easy troubleshooting tactics without any results. The standby light was also not lit...which tells me that there is a power problem.

In my research, I've found that the power supply module sometimes goes out on Samsung TVs because of "lightweight" capacitors...or something. Called Samsung and they will be calling me tomorrow (Monday) to schedule an appointment.

My question to everyone in Cycloneland is:

1)Has anybody heard of this problem or had this problem?...and if so, what will I be looking at (cost) to fix this thing??
    2a)What is a good break point for repair cost that would direct me to just pony up and buy a new TV and not have the current TV serviced?
    2b)If I get a new TV...should I get an extended warrenty because of problems like this?

The Samsung I have is only a 720p...so I want to lean toward getting a 50ish-inch LCD to get some 1080p picture at a semi-reasonable price (especially at post-Christmas prices)....but don't know if it makes more sense to just fix the expensive (at the time I bought it) TV I have.

I need some feedback from anyone willing to offer it...

Thanks all!!
    I have that exact model bought in 07' as well and you sir...have freaked me clear the F out! Thanks! Let us know what you do.