Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

My Direct Tv Experience so far

Who says the best things in life aren't Free?

We ordered Direct TV Dec 18th, original offer was for 1 HD DVR and up to 3 additional Standard Receivers for Free, I talked the guy on the phone into an additional DVR for no additional money, so the original order was 1 HD DVR, 1 Standard DVR, and 1 Standard Receiver

We actually have two HD TV's but didn't want to pay the additional $199 for another HD DVR and based on the Experience with one TIVO, the wife and kids always had the TIVO TV tied up or full of their shows so two DVR's were almost a must have .

So the installation was this morning, the installer informs me "Its your lucky day, all the warerhouse had available for your Standard DVR was this model that all I have to do is update the software and its effectively an HD DVR just like this one", so final install was 2 HD DVR's, and 1 Std Receiver.

New to HD but its great, I love it. Just used my computer to Schedule some DVR shows to record, life is good!

In January the installer told me Direct TV has software coming out where you can network your DVR's to your other receivers and that will allow you to watch your DVR shows on other TV's...

So far so good, and all of this for less money per month than Mediacom Basic Cable...

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: My Direct Tv Experience so far

Check your first bill.....CLOSELY

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

What is the model number of the dvr that he says he just needs to do a software update on?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    Who says the best things in life aren't Free?

We ordered Direct TV Dec 18th, original offer was for 1 HD DVR and up to 3 additional Standard Receivers for Free, I talked the guy on the phone into an additional DVR for no additional money, so the original order was 1 HD DVR, 1 Standard DVR, and 1 Standard Receiver

We actually have two HD TV's but didn't want to pay the additional $199 for another HD DVR and based on the Experience with one TIVO, the wife and kids always had the TIVO TV tied up or full of their shows so two DVR's were almost a must have .

So the installation was this morning, the installer informs me "Its your lucky day, all the warerhouse had available for your Standard DVR was this model that all I have to do is update the software and its effectively an HD DVR just like this one", so final install was 2 HD DVR's, and 1 Std Receiver.

New to HD but its great, I love it. Just used my computer to Schedule some DVR shows to record, life is good!

In January the installer told me Direct TV has software coming out where you can network your DVR's to your other receivers and that will allow you to watch your DVR shows on other TV's...

So far so good, and all of this for less money per month than Mediacom Basic Cable..
    Sorry, but I call some BS on this. I have mediacom 1 star cable, and spend less than $50 a month on it. If you get all of that for under $50, please elaborate.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 321
    Given: 49

DirecTV is the best and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I agree. I had Mediacom in college (switched to direcTV when I moved into a house), My parents have dish. I have DirecTV and love every minute of it. The only problem I've had was not having Verses for one of the ISU football games, but I survived.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 333
    Given: 221

This. Especially when you have a great TV and want to get the most out of it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    What is the model number of the dvr that he says he just needs to do a software update on?
    It is an R22-200, The HD Model is HR22-100, apparently they are exactly the Same except the R22 had the HD capabilities disabled at the factory to save on production costs of DVR's, but once the Software updated, it works exactly like the official HD DVR.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    Sorry, but I call some BS on this. I have mediacom 1 star cable, and spend less than $50 a month on it. If you get all of that for under $50, please elaborate.
    Apparently you have a better deal than I did, my Mediacom bill was $69/month, Basic Cable...

Starter
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 37

I've had Directv off and on for 8 years. They have generally had great service. Mediacom's service was what inspired me to talk my apartment manager into letting us have a dish to begin with. After 2 months of either no picture or horrible picture, coax hanging from the closets and walls, talking to higher ups and getting the brush off - I vowed to never do business with them again.
    Directv blew us away back then. I recently and reluctantly gave up the dish for money. It has become more expensive (85 for 3 tvs) and I didn't even have the fancy HD stuff or DVR (which I've never figured out the fascination with). But I would recommend Directv to anyone.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    Apparently you have a better deal than I did, my Mediacom bill was $69/month, Basic Cable...
    Was it for cable only, or was it bundled with internet or phone?

Either way, I paid for basic only with Mediacom (no DVRs, channels 2-23) for a few years for only 20$. Coupled with Internet, my cable 1 star pack is less than 50.

Last edited by Cyclone62; 12-26-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    "Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 73

yep, totally agree. Been with Directv since pretty much the first day they came out (and it was expensive as hell).

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

If cost was no object, I think DirecTV wins out.
    If cost is an object, I think it depends on the service level you want.
    DirecTV's Premiere pack is both cheaper and has more stuff that Mediacom's comparable offerings.

Mediacom's low end pack, sans digital, is cheaper than DirecTV if you have enough TVs to bump up the monthly receiver cost. (unless you want to count the DirecTV Family package, which is only 30/month).

Dish is somewhere in between the two.

I'm a DirecTV customer and have been for some time. I've NEVER had a bad experience with them, aside from the installers having the wrong phone number for me when I moved, but even then DirecTV made it right (free month of service if I remember).

Until Mediacom pushes to all digital, they are going to be behind DirecTV in the HD race, which is increasingly important, and will get moreso as people replace aging analog TVs with new HDTVs.

They are infinitely far behind DirecTV in customer service, which is absolutely abysmal, and perhaps the worst I've ever experienced by any company I've ever dealt with.

Also, spend a few extra bucks and get an older 3LNB dish, some cable, a home depot bucket, a fencepost and a bag of quickcrete and all you gotta do is haul your receiver out to Jack Trice, spend a few minutes aiming it and you're watching ESPN on gameday ;)

I even deactivate receivers between seasons to save the 5 bucks a month. It takes me like 30 seconds on the phone with DirecTV to re-activate them, and they are VERY cool about it.

Anyway, good luck, and welcome to the real world of HD ;)

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    If cost was no object, I think DirecTV wins out.
    If cost is an object, I think it depends on the service level you want.
    DirecTV's Premiere pack is both cheaper and has more stuff that Mediacom's comparable offerings.

Mediacom's low end pack, sans digital, is cheaper than DirecTV if you have enough TVs to bump up the monthly receiver cost. (unless you want to count the DirecTV Family package, which is only 30/month).

Dish is somewhere in between the two.

I'm a DirecTV customer and have been for some time. I've NEVER had a bad experience with them, aside from the installers having the wrong phone number for me when I moved, but even then DirecTV made it right (free month of service if I remember).

Until Mediacom pushes to all digital, they are going to be behind DirecTV in the HD race, which is increasingly important, and will get moreso as people replace aging analog TVs with new HDTVs.

They are infinitely far behind DirecTV in customer service, which is absolutely abysmal, and perhaps the worst I've ever experienced by any company I've ever dealt with.

Also, spend a few extra bucks and get an older 3LNB dish, some cable, a home depot bucket, a fencepost and a bag of quickcrete and all you gotta do is haul your receiver out to Jack Trice, spend a few minutes aiming it and you're watching ESPN on gameday ;)

I even deactivate receivers between seasons to save the 5 bucks a month. It takes me like 30 seconds on the phone with DirecTV to re-activate them, and they are VERY cool about it.

Anyway, good luck, and welcome to the real world of HD ;)
    Thanks, this was my next project, I just bought a tripod on Amazon for $15, now looking for a Dish. I will use a 15" LCD TV, a STD Receiver, a round Dish (if I can find one), power inverter and Deep Cycle Battery off my camper.
    I have been reading up on how to do this, looks like it shouldn't be too bad

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 889
    Given: 769

What do you DirecTV guys do for internet?