Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

In AZ now

Well, we decided to drive rather than fly so now we're here enjoying Christmas Eve/Day with family. We had to keep heading farther and farther south to avoid the bad weather but we made it (30 hours later!!!). Anyway, I am so looking forward to celebrating the New Year in the afterglow of a Cyclone bowl victory. For those of you attending the game, I wish you all well in your travels. It looks promising next week so far (low to mid 60s). For those of you not offended by such things, Merry Christmas to you and yours and I look forward to seeing many of you next Thursday!

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 166

Re: In AZ now

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalSonForever View Post
    For those of you not offended by such things, Merry Christmas to you and yours and I look forward to seeing many of you next Thursday!
    The fact that you even have to preface that is SAD. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours! Cya down in AZ on the 31st for a Cyclone Bowl victory and party!

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Erik4Cy View Post
    The fact that you even have to preface that is SAD. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours! Cya down in AZ on the 31st for a Cyclone Bowl victory and party!
    I have to admit that the jimlad was considered.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

can't wait to see u there!
    merry christmas!

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

We leave Sunday...see you there!

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,460
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 246

I'm jealous, at least the snow hasn't blasted us yet.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3

were leaving monday around noon

Prospect
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Lucky you! We live there 6 months, Iowa 6 months. Here in Iowa for Christmas; back there in time for the game. Looking forward to getting together with a bunch of great Cyclone fans on the 31st.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalSonForever View Post
    Well, we decided to drive rather than fly so now we're here enjoying Christmas Eve/Day with family. We had to keep heading farther and farther south to avoid the bad weather but we made it (30 hours later!!!). Anyway, I am so looking forward to celebrating the New Year in the afterglow of a Cyclone bowl victory. For those of you attending the game, I wish you all well in your travels. It looks promising next week so far (low to mid 60s). For those of you not offended by such things, Merry Christmas to you and yours and I look forward to seeing many of you next Thursday!

What was your route down there? Did you cut diagonally across Kansas and Oklahoma and get on the Interstate through Alburqurque? Just trying to find a good way to take. Google says the fastest route is through Denver and Grand Junction, but not sure if we want to try that.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 108

you might want to avoid denver. my brother drove down to albuquerque from denver and it took him 11 hours to make the usually 7 hour drive. there were tons of cars spinning off the road and my brother even spun out a couple times. might be best to go south to dallas and then just head west through albuquerque. i would highly recommend doing some research just in case the weather is still bad in denver

This is Ophion speaking.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 610
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 590

Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    you might want to avoid denver. my brother drove down to albuquerque from denver and it took him 11 hours to make the usually 7 hour drive. there were tons of cars spinning off the road and my brother even spun out a couple times. might be best to go south to dallas and then just head west through albuquerque. i would highly recommend doing some research just in case the weather is still bad in denver
    If a person is going as far south as Dallas, they might as well go west on I-20 and then I-10 through El Paso. Continuing west you would go through Tucson and shoot right up into Tempe/Phoenix. You're pretty much guaranteed good roads all of the way from Dallas to Phoenix.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 108

Quote Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
    If a person is going as far south as Dallas, they might as well go west on I-20 and then I-10 through El Paso. Continuing west you would go through Tucson and shoot right up into Tempe/Phoenix. You're pretty much guaranteed good roads all of the way from Dallas to Phoenix.
    yeah but driving through el paso kinda sucks. going that far south is out of the way but yeah the roads will be better. anyways, i hope you all have safe traveling and if anyone drives through albuquerque, stop and eat at saggios off of central and university. excellent pizza!!

This is Ophion speaking.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We are heading out tomorrow morning, wife having a hard time keeping me here tonight, and I still might talk her into it. I plan on taking I-35 to Wichita and then hwy 54 west/southwest to Tucumcari. I believe that is where you hit I-40 and take that to 317 which will drop south before you go up to Flagstaff. If you can avoid Flagstaff I would recommend that, worst roads I ever drove on in the winter were there. I have driven this route 4 times and believe it is the best/fastest. It is also what Mapquest recommends. Safe travels fellow Cyclone fans.

P.S. If you want to go south to Oklahoma City and hit I-40 there you can, adds about 100 miles but only about 1 hour of drive time. Also on hwy 54 in Kansas you will go through Greensburg, they had an F5 tornado hit the town 2 years ago. Just seeing what it did to the trees was enough to scare me.

Prospect
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If you are taking off from west of the Des Moines area. probably the best way is 80 to York, NE, then 81 South to I believe I76 W to 156 to 56 to 283 (Dodge City) to 54 to I40 to I17. There are many miles of 2 way but the diagionals save a lot of miles and time. I'll never go thru Denver again--it's farther and takes about an hour longer assuming all things equal (weather, road work, etc.). The weather could change the way I'd go (when we went down to Phx in early November we were held up for 3 hours near Gallup, NM for 3 hours on I40; this after going 1095 miles and ready to turn in.) Hope you all have a safe and troublefree trip if driving.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 610
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 590

Quote Originally Posted by Stelrs1995 View Post
    We are heading out tomorrow morning, wife having a hard time keeping me here tonight, and I still might talk her into it. I plan on taking I-35 to Wichita and then hwy 54 west/southwest to Tucumcari. I believe that is where you hit I-40 and take that to 317 which will drop south before you go up to Flagstaff. If you can avoid Flagstaff I would recommend that, worst roads I ever drove on in the winter were there. I have driven this route 4 times and believe it is the best/fastest. It is also what Mapquest recommends. Safe travels fellow Cyclone fans.

P.S. If you want to go south to Oklahoma City and hit I-40 there you can, adds about 100 miles but only about 1 hour of drive time. Also on hwy 54 in Kansas you will go through Greensburg, they had an F5 tornado hit the town 2 years ago. Just seeing what it did to the trees was enough to scare me.
    A number of years ago (1999) I took that #54 from Wichita to Tucumcari and it was 2 lane all of the way with tons of semis on it. However, I think they were four-laning some of it at the time and maybe there is more done now. The semis were a source of frustration as I was "flying low" and needed to get into Tucumcari to stay the night. Swore that I'd never take it again and I haven't. Let me know if it's different now, I might take it.

I would agree that a person would want to avoid Flagstaff in the winter if possible. Very mountainous area with lots of snow and ice.