Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 8

TCU and the Mountain West

After watching two Mountain West Conference teams take apart two of the best teams in what was thought to be a strong Pac 10, how good is the MWC? TCU thumped both BYU and Utah, and if they handle Boise State it's hard not to think they may be the best team in the country, which is what many thought about Utah last year. And Utah's freshman qb is fast becoming a star, and we get to face them the next couple of years. Yikes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 15

Re: TCU and the Mountain West

BYU has always had a good program with a history of great quarterbacks. With the recent emergence of Utah and TCU I would say that the Mountain West has just as much of an argument as an automatic qualifier as any of the current BCS conferences.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Utes come to Ames next Fall and seeing what we can do against them.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 255

I know we recruited Utah's qb pretty hard last year. I will be excited to see how he performs again next year. Hopefully nothing like he did last night.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 872
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 13

the arguement craig james made last night during the utah game was the MWC doesn't deserve an automatic qualifying bid because the conference is top heavy and those teams aren't challenged on a weekly basis like the power conferences are.

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,837
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 96

the arguement craig james made last night during the utah game was the MWC doesn't deserve an automatic qualifying bid because the conference is top heavy and those teams aren't challenged on a weekly basis like the power conferences are.

I understand what James was saying, but at the same time I think the worst teams in any conference are all pretty bad. Colorado got smoked by a fairly mediocre Toledo team, Illinois lost to a run of the mill Fresno State team, Louisville and Syracuse are both awful, and I don't think too highly of Vanderbilt or Mississippi State either.

That argument doesn't hold much water for me.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 872
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 13

then where do you draw the line? The WAC has boise state... The Conference USA has Tulsa, Houston, Rice, East Carolina...

I think that is kind of a big reason why they aren't adding MWC to the BCS

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 66

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    I wonder though how many football teams want to schedule schools like this though as a non conference. If you put Boise State, or TCU, or BYU in any stadium in the country they can win. Period.
    So much football now a days is lose one game and you are out of the national title hunt so they are scared about it. Look at Iowa, we stopped them from a national title shot this decade.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The emergence of teams like TCU, Utah, Boise State, etc is just another reason we so badly need a national play-off with at least 8 teams.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Mountain West is top heavy. BYU, Utah, and TCU are consistently good to very good, but after that the conference is usually mediocre to downright bad.

Look at this year. Air Force is the 4th best team in the MWC and is decent, but after that you have Wyoming who is an okay mid-major but wouldn't be bowling in a BCS conference, UNLV, San Diego State, and Colorado State who are bad, and New Mexico who is just terrible. Every BCS conference team in the country except maybe Washington State could finish 5th or at least 6th in the Mountain West.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I really think the Mountan West is better than the big 10, even when you consider top to bottom. If Oregon handles Ohio State like I think they will, I'll be even more convinced because it's pretty obvious TCU, BYU and Utah are as good as or better than anybody in the Pac 10.

Burgermeister!
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 358

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    The Mountain West is top heavy. BYU, Utah, and TCU are consistently good to very good, but after that the conference is usually mediocre to downright bad.

Look at this year. Air Force is the 4th best team in the MWC and is decent, but after that you have Wyoming who is an okay mid-major but wouldn't be bowling in a BCS conference, UNLV, San Diego State, and Colorado State who are bad, and New Mexico who is just terrible. Every BCS conference team in the country except maybe Washington State could finish 5th or at least 6th in the Mountain West.
    Wyoming won their bowl game.

Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    I really think the Mountan West is better than the big 10, even when you consider top to bottom. If Oregon handles Ohio State like I think they will, I'll be even more convinced because it's pretty obvious TCU, BYU and Utah are as good as or better than anybody in the Pac 10.
    That's just Big Ten hate talking. I might take TCU, BYU, and Utah over Ohio State, Iowa, and Penn State (even though Iowa-BYU and Penn State-Utah are probably even match-ups), but after that it's not even close. Air Force is the 4th place MWC team and they lost to Minnesota. I have a really hard time believing Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan State wouldn't beat Wyoming, UNLV, San Diego State, Colorado State, and New Mexico. And that's without even looking at Wisconsin and Northwestern.

Ohio State vs. TCU: moderate advantage TCU
    Iowa vs. BYU: 50-50, maybe slight BYU
    Penn State vs. Utah: 50-50, maybe slight Penn State
    Michigan State vs. Air Force: slight Michigan State
    Purdue vs. Wyoming: moderate Purdue
    Minnesota vs. UNLV: moderate Minnesota
    Illinois vs. San Diego State: moderate Illinois
    Michigan vs. New Mexico: heavy Michigan
    Indiana vs. Colorado State: moderate Indiana

If you take out the two 4-4 teams (Michigan State and Purdue) and put in the two 5-3 teams (Northwestern and Wisconsin) it gets even uglier in favor of the Big Ten.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    Wyoming won their bowl game.
    And they still wouldn't have gone to a bowl if they played in a BCS conference. Congrats to them for getting it done, but they aren't a good team. Here are their wins that got them to a bowl:

Weber State by 7
    UNLV by 3
    at Florida Atlantic by 2
    New Mexico by 24
    at San Diego State by 3
    at Colorado State by 1

They didn't beat a bowl team in the regular season. Four of their regular season wins were by a total of nine points, another was by seven over an FCS school, and the other was a blowout against possibly the worst team in FBS.

They were exited to be in the New Mexico Bowl and beat the less excited Fresno State Bulldogs in double overtime. Again, congrats to Wyoming, but they still aren't a good team.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 323

How is that really any different than any other conference, especially this year?

Pac 10 - Oregon and Oregon St (which lost to a MWC team). Even USC sucked this year.
    Big 12 - Texas, OSU, and Nebraska. No one else is really even worth talking about (yah, I know, this is an ISU fan site - but not relevant to the discussion at hand)
    Big 10 - Ohio St, Iowa, Penn St. Maybe Wisconsin.
    SEC - Florida, Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss. Even this strong conference is down this year.
    ACC - Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia Tech. Does anyone else even play football in the conference?
    Big East - Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, maybe West Virginia.

Excuse me if I think the dismissal of the MWC is acceptable simply because it is top-heavy is ridiculous. Not only is every conference top-heavy, but how many years in a row is the MWC going to have to own bowl season before they get their respect? Or own the Pac 10 like they did last year? Or embarrass an SEC team in a BCS bowl? The only reason why they're not treated on the same level is because all those schools are "smaller" schools (which is a laugh because Ole Miss' enrollment is in the neighborhood of 15,000) from states with less population and less money, and have just decided they don't want to fork over the big time revenue that the MWC deserves.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 323

And they still wouldn't have gone to a bowl if they played in a BCS conference. Congrats to them for getting it done, but they aren't a good team. Here are their wins that got them to a bowl:

Weber State by 7
    UNLV by 3
    at Florida Atlantic by 2
    New Mexico by 24
    at San Diego State by 3
    at Colorado State by 1

They didn't beat a bowl team in the regular season. Four of their regular season wins were by a total of nine points, another was by seven over an FCS school, and the other was a blowout against possibly the worst team in FBS.

They were exited to be in the New Mexico Bowl and beat the less excited Fresno State Bulldogs in double overtime. Again, congrats to Wyoming, but they still aren't a good team.
    You know, it's not like we wouldn't be in the same position if it weren't for the fact that we were extremely lucky that we forced 8 turnovers against Nebraska. Actually, we wouldn't be in the same position as Wyoming - they'd be bowling and we'd be staying home.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.