Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 38

Mike Tomlin call

This is regarding the onside kick he called with a two point lead. I believe it worked not necessarily how he planned but how thought it would. I don't think he thought his defense could keep GB from scoring at least a field goal. With that in mind he decided to kick the onside, that way, either they get the ball, or they give GB a short field making it a quicker score and leaving time on the clock for them to score again just like they did. I said that that was his idea behind it right after he did it. It could be he just got lucky, but I didn't think it was a stupid play when you don't have Troy Palumalu and your defense has been terrible lately. Maybe I am thiniking too deep into the game, but if that was his intention, then I think it was actually the right call. Had GB needed a TD, then I wouldn't think that.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Mike Tomlin call

When it first happened I was livid, but the more I thought about it I understood why he did it.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I dont know about the whole logic behind the call, but I do know that the W took some pressure away from that call.
    He can also thank Jim Zorn for making a stranger decision on that fake field goal attempt on Monday night.

Go Cubs Go!
    Lets Play Two-Ernie Banks

Thumbs Up

I think you are overanalyzing this.

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I like the call.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 35

i think he knew. we all knew. he was just hoping the D would hold them to a FG and then have time on the clock for the FG that he would need for the win. lucky ***.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than selfish and worry about my liver."
    --by Jack Handy

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

It was a moronic call that he got away with. No other way of stating it.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 67

Exactly right, Ochocinco.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Prospect
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Sometimes when your team isn't winning, you have to make the gutsy call. It was better to get the ball back in the hands of the offense as soon as possible...reco ver kick, defensive stop or quick GB score. The way the Sixburgh defense has been playing, if they kick it deep, GB goes down the field and kicks the fieldgoal with no time left on the clock. GREAT CALL (although my wife wasn't happy that her Packers lost)!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I get why he did it. We were getting torched on the big play all game. And let's not pretend our kickoff coverage is anything special. Hell, they might have returned it to the onside location anyway - if not further (how many kickoff TD's have the Steelers given up this season?)

Despite all that, I think the right call would be to kick it deep and count on your D.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I get why he did it. We were getting torched on the big play all game. And let's not pretend our kickoff coverage is anything special. Hell, they might have returned it to the onside location anyway - if not further (how many kickoff TD's have the Steelers given up this season?)

Despite all that, I think the right call would be to kick it deep and count on your D.
    Aren't you worried that Tomlin is killing what the Steelers are?

I know that sounds really dumb coming of a Super Bowl year but the Steelers are known for defense and running the ball. No other coach before him would have made that call. They would have kicked it deep and told their defense to do what they do best. They are also throwing the ball 1,000 times a game. Even after they get 9 yards on 1st/2nd down and it is 3rd and 1. Every other year the Steelers line up and run it down your throat. Tomlin drops into a shotgun and throws the ball. More times than not it has been negative this year

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Not in the least.

This team doesn't fit "the mold" of the old Steelers. But is that Tomlin's fault. The line isn't very good - hence you're not going to over power on the run. The stength on O (which isn't much of one, but still...) is the passing game with a top 5-10 QB and a solid set of receivers and better than average TEs. Who's the runner on the squad? Mendenhal maybe. But we're hurting up front. I've always thought Parker was a flash in the pan player - and won't be back next year. God strike me dead for saying this - but I would've LOVED to have a player like Shonn Greene.

The D isn't up to par. I've said it several times - it's a different squad without Polamalu. That was obvious for all to see on Sunday.

Injuries and lack of good Oline play (and a QB who doesn't seem to know that he can throw the ball away on occassion) is what's wrong with the team. Not the HC.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 12-23-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Not in the least.

This team doesn't fit "the mold" of the old Steelers. But is that Tomlin's fault. The line isn't very good - hence you're not going to over power on the run. The stength on O (which isn't much of one, but still...) is the passing game with a top 5-10 QB and a solid set of receivers and better than average TEs. Who's the runner on the squad? Mendenhal maybe. But we're hurting up front. I've always thought Parker was a flash in the pan player - and won't be back next year. God strike me dead for saying this - but I would've LOVED to have a player like Shonn Greene.

The D isn't up to par. I've said it several times - it's a different squad without Polamalu. That was obvious for all to see on Sunday.

Injuries and lack of good Oline play (and a QB who doesn't seem to know that he can throw the ball away on occassion) is what's wrong with the team. Not the HC.
    Gotcha. I was just wondering after watching that Browns game in which I thought it was very poorly coaches throughout. I haven't seen or paid attention to the Steelers enough to notice everything. I do know that Polamalu being out kills their defense

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    It was a moronic call that he got away with. No other way of stating it.

the steelers has one of the worst special team coverages in the league.

green bay was destroying them on the offensive side.

the defense was inept to gb's passing.

given it was an unorthodox call, he had a reasoning behind it.

its the same thing as people calling belichecks 4th and 2 being a moronic call. Think of it this way, which do you trust more, your offense to win it for you, or your defense that hasn't been up to par the entire night?

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Aren't you worried that Tomlin is killing what the Steelers are?

I know that sounds really dumb coming of a Super Bowl year but the Steelers are known for defense and running the ball. No other coach before him would have made that call. They would have kicked it deep and told their defense to do what they do best. They are also throwing the ball 1,000 times a game. Even after they get 9 yards on 1st/2nd down and it is 3rd and 1. Every other year the Steelers line up and run it down your throat. Tomlin drops into a shotgun and throws the ball. More times than not it has been negative this year

the bears are known for defense and running, but if it starts to suck, what choice do you have ? pass