Thread: monkeybrow?

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I need a great answer, so I look to the crafty veteran for this one. What is your definiton of a die hard fan? First thing I think of when I hear die hard fan is a fan sitting in the rain for 3 hours as your team is getting slaughtered. I also envision Red Sox, Eagles, Manchester United fans. They see one way and that way is there teams way.

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goonies_89 &#064; 07&#045;12&#045;06 1&#58;32 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> I need a great answer, so I look to the crafty veteran for this one. What is your definiton of a die hard fan? First thing I think of when I hear die hard fan is a fan sitting in the rain for 3 hours as your team is getting slaughtered. I also envision Red Sox, Eagles, Manchester United fans. They see one way and that way is there teams way. [/b][/quote]

That is very difficult to answer...I believe the term "Die Hard" fan morphs into different variations as the individual grows older...but I suppose supporting the team/university in thick and thin would cover it. "die hard" does not mean one has to "hate" on other schools/or get to the point of brawling to win the day. It is a game in the end...and even those wearing those "pretend" Steeler outfits are no different from you or I. :-)

p.s. Most would say that I&#39;m a "sly twit" then a "crafty veteran"

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Monkey,

I am very intrigued. I read your whole reply, and nowhere did I see a single blurb about your love kitten Nancy. Is your passion wavering? Trouble in paradise? If so, please let us know, as you are one fortunate soul to have pure, undiluted lust for your saucy vixen. If your romance was to fade, Nancy would have many suitors, and fellow gentlemen would have a glimmer of hope.

Respectfully,

Tech

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goonies_89 &#064; 07&#045;12&#045;06 2&#58;32 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>First thing I think of when I hear die hard fan is a fan sitting in the rain for 3 hours as your team is getting slaughtered. [/b][/quote]

Oh, you mean like the Iowa game in 2003? It wasn&#39;t a downpour, yet it wasn&#39;t fun weather either.

Or maybe the debacle that was UConn vs. ISU to end the 2002 regular season?

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(techfire &#064; 07&#045;12&#045;06 3&#58;30 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Monkey,

I am very intrigued. I read your whole reply, and nowhere did I see a single blurb about your love kitten Nancy. Is your passion wavering? Trouble in paradise? If so, please let us know, as you are one fortunate soul to have pure, undiluted lust for your saucy vixen. If your romance was to fade, Nancy would have many suitors, and fellow gentlemen would have a glimmer of hope.

Respectfully,

Tech

[/b][/quote]

Thank you for the observation. The quivering mass is now lying next to me and wishes to inform you that ....no...sweet Nancy is not on the market. We just wish to tone down our "intense" relationship and keep it out of the Des Moines gossip rags (Juice..Register). However...we are of open mind and she is most willing to consider you as a side snack...a biscut..if you desire. Please be sure to be in tip-top physical shape prior to any rendevous with my Nancy. This hot little number will drain all the extra fluids from your frail body and toss you to the side. Voluptious Nancy would have killed me weeks ago if it were not for my prior Seal-training and martial-arts workouts at Farrells.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    I would also add that a die hard, to me, is someone that puts Cyclone games at the forefront when plannning things. Wedding? Well, is there an ISU game that weekend? Vacation? Nope, that&#39;s the Nebraska game weekend, can&#39;t do it.

Also, die hards have to know some concrete facts. Starters, statistics, record, chances of making which bowl, NCAA tourney, etc.

I would add those two for sure.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(excytin &#064; 07&#045;12&#045;06 6&#58;27 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Also, die hards have to know some concrete facts. Starters, statistics, record, chances of making which bowl, NCAA tourney, etc.[/b][/quote] I respectfully disagree- strongly. I consider myself a die-hard fan. I go crazy at the games, cheering on the Cyclones or lamenting the other team&#39;s successful plays. I watch every away football game that is televised even though I don&#39;t have the means to actually travel to them; I watch every basketball game- home or away- that I can. I religiously read what the papers and the internet have to say about my teams and their opponents and my school in general. Hell, I joined this board and am pretty active in the middle of the summer, when there&#39;s NOTHING going on to fuel my interest from the outside.

And yet, I don&#39;t think I know a single statistic. I would be hard pressed to name more than three starters on our football team, and I don&#39;t think I could break a half-dozen in total. I have a moderately basic understanding of the rules in football, and I picked up practically everything that I know during this past Cyclone season. I know that there are five basketball players on the court at a time, and that&#39;s about it. I know the football team&#39;s record only because it matters for our bowl chances, and I know our bowl chances only because the marching band gets a free trip to wherever our bowl is, and we like to try and predict as does everyone else.

Now, I&#39;m sure not saying that I wouldn&#39;t care about sports if I weren&#39;t in the band, but it sure helps a lot. I like cheering and yelling at the top of my lungs in fervent support of whichever of my Cyclone teams is playing, and I don&#39;t see that being able to recite off the height/weight/hometown/elementary school of an entire team will enhance my enjoyment of the game or appreciation of the sport. If stats are your thing, that&#39;s great. We need you guys around to combat the loudmouth stat-knowers from the other team. But I don&#39;t do it, and I don&#39;t see how that makes me any less of a fan.

[/rant]

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349
    A Hawkeye fan who only goes to the Iowa State game each year. They sure do die hard when they lose.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.