Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 18,956, Level: 42
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 894
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    552
    Points
    18,956
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Spent the week-end in St. Louis. Its a "Pro Town", all about the Cardinals. Mizzou is an after thought dependant upon the current win totals of whatever sport is in season. Kansas City, on the other hand, is split between the Chiefs and KU basketball (Lawrence is considered a suburb of KC). The St. Louis media and the powers-that-be (UM Pres., Guv, etc.) strongly state that Mizzou needs to take a serious look at the Big 10, which surprised me greatly. What I read between the lines was that IF the Big 10 would let Mizzou in they should jump at the opportunity.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 136,735, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    herbicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    8,639
    Points
    136,735
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Doesn't surprise me. Face it, the Big 10 has a better bowl package, TV, etc. Than the Big 12.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 63,489, Level: 78
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,361
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    5,378
    Points
    63,489
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 175

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    The Big 10 has a lot of things that the Big 12 does not, good revenue sharing, good TV contract, good media coverage, and it has some teams that are very beatable. (not as bad as the Big 12 North this year, but still a lot of average teams)



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 474,748, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,553
    Points
    474,748
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 812
    Given: 200

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Pretty much anyone in the Big 12 North (sans Nebraska) would be bat **** crazy to not join the Big 10 if offered. Personally I think Mizzou has a WAY better shot than Pitt (honestly, Pitt adds nothing more than ISU except a more prestigious program) and are probably a wash w/Rutgers (NYC just doesn't care about CFB).


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 43,352, Level: 64
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    TheHelgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,794
    Points
    43,352
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 55

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    I live in STL, and when college sports are discussed, it is primarily Mizzou with Illinois a distant (but relevant) second. i imagine some of the thought about the big 10 in this area stems from the desire to have the 2 primarily represented teams in the area be in the same conference. it would make their 'rivalry' that much more relevant.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 70,962, Level: 82
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,574
    Points
    70,962
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 51

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by swiacy View Post
    Spent the week-end in St. Louis. Its a "Pro Town", all about the Cardinals. Mizzou is an after thought dependant upon the current win totals of whatever sport is in season. Kansas City, on the other hand, is split between the Chiefs and KU basketball (Lawrence is considered a suburb of KC). The St. Louis media and the powers-that-be (UM Pres., Guv, etc.) strongly state that Mizzou needs to take a serious look at the Big 10, which surprised me greatly. What I read between the lines was that IF the Big 10 would let Mizzou in they should jump at the opportunity.
    This may work to ISU's favor. Hopefully, the threat of MU dropping the Big 12 will force the conference to adopt revenue sharing to intice MU to stay.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 28,551, Level: 51
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ahaselhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boone, IA
    Posts
    1,839
    Points
    28,551
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 88

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    This may work to ISU's favor. Hopefully, the threat of MU dropping the Big 12 will force the conference to adopt revenue sharing to intice MU to stay.
    I agree somewhat, but I think its just as likely that the Big XII powers that be wouldn't mind dropping most of the north teams in favor of more Texas teams, such as TCU and Houston.

    I really don't think they'd get too concerned unless Nebraska (football) or Kansas (basketball) wanted to leave.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 224,613, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18,384
    Points
    224,613
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,191
    Given: 796

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Any Big 12 North team would be wise to jump at the opportunity to join the Big 10, where they revenue share and care about the welfare of all of their schools, not just enriching Texas.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 904,886, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    60,343
    Points
    904,886
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,805
    Given: 3,949

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post
    I agree somewhat, but I think its just as likely that the Big XII powers that be wouldn't mind dropping most of the north teams in favor of more Texas teams, such as TCU and Houston.

    I really don't think they'd get too concerned unless Nebraska (football) or Kansas (basketball) wanted to leave.
    I agree. I don't want to, but I don't think they care much about the teams in the conference that welcomed them in.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 208,680, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    11,317
    Points
    208,680
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 357

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    This may work to ISU's favor. Hopefully, the threat of MU dropping the Big 12 will force the conference to adopt revenue sharing to intice MU to stay.
    Presently, the Big 12 equally splits around 82% of the conference generated revenue. The other 18% is awarded according to TV appearances (at least that's how the numbers worked out in 2007-2008).

    Although the distribution numbers have not been published yet for 2008-2009, MU may have actually have gotten less money if the Big 12 equally split all of the revenue, since MU was on TV quite a bit due to the success of their FB and MBB programs.


    Last edited by jbhtexas; 12-22-2009 at 09:33 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 208,680, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    11,317
    Points
    208,680
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 357

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Any Big 12 North team would be wise to jump at the opportunity to join the Big 10, where they revenue share and care about the welfare of all of their schools, not just enriching Texas.
    The athletic directors and presidents of the Big 12 schools are the ones who make the decisions for the conference. This is made quite clear in the conference by-laws. Could you explain why the presidents and ADs of the other 11 schools would willingly sacrifice the well being of their own schools to enrich Texas?


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 21,263, Level: 44
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Crete, NE
    Posts
    1,425
    Points
    21,263
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Don't count out the Academic Aspects. The Big 10 presidents will push for Pitt over Mizzou in that regard. Everyone laughs that off, but it is a big deal. I believe Pitt would fit nicely in the Big 10 where as Mizzou would be lagging a little bit.

    I would hate to see Mizzou go, but this could result in change for the Big 12 policies that Improve the TV package and Increase Revenue Sharing.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 21,263, Level: 44
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Crete, NE
    Posts
    1,425
    Points
    21,263
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Presently, the Big 12 equally splits around 82% of the conference generated revenue. The other 18% is awarded according to TV appearances (at least that's how the numbers worked out in 2007-2008).

    Although the distribution numbers have not been published yet for 2008-2009, MU may have actually have gotten less money if the Big 12 equally split all of the revenue, since MU was on TV quite a bit due to the success of their FB and MBB programs.
    The Mizzou games with Baylor and Iowa State were not Televised, there is probably another one or two that I can't remember.

    Winning has nothing to do with being on TV. ISU and MU were both Bowl Eligible and not Televised. The Big 12 TV package is a joke.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 218,333, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    11,154
    Points
    218,333
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 812
    Given: 545

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    The athletic directors and presidents of the Big 12 schools are the ones who make the decisions for the conference. This is made quite clear in the conference by-laws. Could you explain why the presidents and ADs of the other 11 schools would willingly sacrifice the well being of their own schools to enrich Texas?
    poor foresight in the initial formation of the conference?



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 474,748, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,553
    Points
    474,748
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 812
    Given: 200

    Re: St. Louis attitude: MU to Big 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    Don't count out the Academic Aspects. The Big 10 presidents will push for Pitt over Mizzou in that regard. Everyone laughs that off, but it is a big deal. I believe Pitt would fit nicely in the Big 10 where as Mizzou would be lagging a little bit.

    I would hate to see Mizzou go, but this could result in change for the Big 12 policies that Improve the TV package and Increase Revenue Sharing.
    This is important, but at the end of the day, Mizzou brings many more TV sets than Pitt. Most of the sets Pitt brings, already have an eye on PSU. It's like adding Iowa State. They make great sense in the fact that they already have a rival in the Big 10, and they have strong academics, but TV revenues are big. That's why Rutgers is the most likely Big East school, and I think Mizzou is the most likely school period.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM