Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Small pickups?

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 165,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,629
    Points
    165,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Small pickups?

    Anyone have any suggestions for a smaller pickup. Is there anything I need to stay away? Anything I should look at?

    I need a pickup because I need the ability to haul appliances and doors and so on. I would like something that gets a little better gas mileage since the next closest town is 25 miles away; but it needs to be a pickup and 4x4 will be a huge plus since to get to that town I have to drop 2000 feet at 12% grade. Any pointers would be appreciated.



  2. #2
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Small pickups?

    I had a 2000 Dakota quad cab for about 8 years. Loved it. No problems at all. I think the only mechanical issues was a bad thermostat about year 5 and replaced the water pump in year 8. That was it.

    Mine was 4x2, couldn't tell you about the 4x4.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 165,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,629
    Points
    165,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Small pickups?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I had a 2000 Dakota quad cab for about 8 years. Loved it. No problems at all. I think the only mechanical issues was a bad thermostat about year 5 and replaced the water pump in year 8. That was it.

    Mine was 4x2, couldn't tell you about the 4x4.
    What did it get for mileage?



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 352,746, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,485
    Points
    352,746
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

    Re: Small pickups?

    I would consider myself a pretty big pickup guru. I keep track of what goin on anyway.

    By smaller pickup do you mean a small full size or a compact?

    If you are gonna go with a compact, my grandparents have had two Colorados and both were great vehicles. They get decent mileage and are very comfortable if you arent a very big guy. I have a 09 half ton chevy and I am pretty impressed with it. Last weekend I got 17 mpg driving pretty hard to ames and back in pretty cold weather. It is very comfortable and is very smooth. The new six speed tranny is pretty sweet. For my money, I would go with a 5.3 litre half ton. I think you will ike having more size and power and I don't know the mileage difference is enough to negate the size aspect for what you say you're going to be doing. I would not frown upon a ford or dodge, but I got the highest trim package and Chevy was the best deal and I have always been a chevy guy. If you have any specific questions let me know, I just bought mine a month or so ago so I have recently been through the whole deal.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 41,378, Level: 62
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,163
    Points
    41,378
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 29

    Re: Small pickups?

    I have a Ford Ranger thats a 4x4 and has a 4.0 L V6. Stay away from the Rangers with the smaller engines such as a 3.0 L. I would buy another one and have had very few problems with it.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,236, Level: 79
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Cycofan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,100
    Points
    65,236
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Small pickups?

    Chevy Colorado


    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 116,899, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,363
    Points
    116,899
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

    Re: Small pickups?

    Will get bashed for this....

    I'm surprised with how much I like my Honda Ridgeline. Considering I traded off a Chevy Silverado for it.

    Mine gets up 24 open road. Plenty of power. Front will drive with traction assist. 4 wheel drive at lower speeds. Alot of room if your carrying 4 adults. Room under the bed (yes a trunk).. 3.5 Honda engine.

    Go ahead and laugh, I know it's more of a SUV truck, but it does get better mileage then most and rides better then anything I have drove Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 352,746, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,485
    Points
    352,746
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

    Re: Small pickups?

    Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    Will get bashed for this....

    I'm surprised with how much I like my Honda Ridgeline. Considering I traded off a Chevy Silverado for it.

    Mine gets up 24 open road. Plenty of power. Front will drive with traction assist. 4 wheel drive at lower speeds. Alot of room if your carrying 4 adults. Room under the bed (yes a trunk).. 3.5 Honda engine.

    Go ahead and laugh, I know it's more of a SUV truck, but it does get better mileage then most and rides better then anything I have drove Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.
    You know I would have looked at one of these if they put a real engine in it (snowmobile trips each winter). I just felt I could tow more and carry the same amount of people with mine and it cost less. DO you pay an SUV road tax on that and is insurance higher?

    I do understand buying one, just not for me I guess.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 165,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,629
    Points
    165,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Small pickups?

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I would consider myself a pretty big pickup guru. I keep track of what goin on anyway.

    By smaller pickup do you mean a small full size or a compact?

    If you are gonna go with a compact, my grandparents have had two Colorados and both were great vehicles. They get decent mileage and are very comfortable if you arent a very big guy. I have a 09 half ton chevy and I am pretty impressed with it. Last weekend I got 17 mpg driving pretty hard to ames and back in pretty cold weather. It is very comfortable and is very smooth. The new six speed tranny is pretty sweet. For my money, I would go with a 5.3 litre half ton. I think you will ike having more size and power and I don't know the mileage difference is enough to negate the size aspect for what you say you're going to be doing. I would not frown upon a ford or dodge, but I got the highest trim package and Chevy was the best deal and I have always been a chevy guy. If you have any specific questions let me know, I just bought mine a month or so ago so I have recently been through the whole deal.
    Possibly either. It will depend a little on what I can get. I'm going to be looking at a good used pickup so a mechanical sound truck will be a huge positive. Probably won't be pulling a lot with it since I don't even have a trailer right now and the heaviest load I might put in the back is probably going to be a stove or possibly some landscape rocks or something along that line. Mileage is important, it is 50 miles round trip to the bank and 120 miles round trip to everything else and gas out here is much higher than Iowa.


    Last edited by jaretac; 12-21-2009 at 09:12 PM.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 352,746, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,485
    Points
    352,746
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

    Re: Small pickups?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycofan1 View Post
    Chevy Colorado
    If you buy one of these please don't get that color.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 38,851, Level: 60
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,602
    Points
    38,851
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: Small pickups?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    What did it get for mileage?
    I had a Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab w/ the Magnum V-8
    avg between 15 and 17 mostly in town
    Did about 22 on trips.

    More room in the back seat than some full size trucks.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 352,746, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,485
    Points
    352,746
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

    Re: Small pickups?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    Possibly either. It will depend a little on what I can get. I'm going to be looking at a good used pickup so a mechanical sound truck will be a huge positive. Probably won't be pulling a lot with it since I don't even have a trailer right now and the heaviest load I might put in the back is probably going to be a stove or possibly some landscape rocks or something along that line. Mileage is important, it is 50 miles round trip to the bank and 120 miles round trip to everything else.
    Well, if it is just for work, check out the carry over 09 stuff if it is in your price range. They have some real deals right now because they need to unload those things. I would guess you could get something to fit those needs for well under 20,000 brand new. Also keep in ming that mileage will decrease at a higher rate with a small pickup than with a full size. What I mean is you might get 21 compared to seventeen when not loaded however you may gett knocked down to 15 with the small one and still get 15 with the full size.

    Just don't buy something you don't want or that isn't right. That is the best advice I can give you. I bought a car a year ago and got rid of it a couple months ago. Luckily I didn't lose my ***.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,236, Level: 79
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Cycofan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,100
    Points
    65,236
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Small pickups?

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    If you buy one of these please don't get that color.
    Ya that was just the color of the best pic I could find.

    We have this one:



    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 116,899, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,363
    Points
    116,899
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

    Re: Small pickups?

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    You know I would have looked at one of these if they put a real engine in it (snowmobile trips each winter). I just felt I could tow more and carry the same amount of people with mine and it cost less. DO you pay an SUV road tax on that and is insurance higher?

    I do understand buying one, just not for me I guess.
    Well... Suv cost for road tax. Insurance was lower though because high safetly rating.

    The motor isn't terrible in all honesty. 5000 lb towing capacity which is comparable to the top towing weight of the Colorado with the V-8.

    Although I just noticed the new Ridgelines can haul more and more responsive motor and different gear ratios for towing, but gas mileage decreased over older models.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 165,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,629
    Points
    165,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Small pickups?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    I had a Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab w/ the Magnum V-8
    avg between 15 and 17 mostly in town
    Did about 22 on trips.

    More room in the back seat than some full size trucks.
    This is along the lines I was hoping for. I can stand 22 highway (that would be only about 8 MPG less than my Toyota POS deathtrap that I'm driving now), would like to stay away from anything much less than that if I can. I've looked at Dakota's some, also have looked at some small Toyota's and Nissan's.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM