Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 14

NBA draft age restriction

This nba draft age restriction has to be lifted, this rule is making it harder and harder to have consistent winning seasons unless your name is huge, ie KU, Duke, UNC etc....Its almost making a mockery of college basketball, these players don't really play defense or hustle, as well as seem to play for the name on the back of the jersey as opposed to one on the front. To be honest, I'd rather have a team full of Jared Homan's, Jake Sullivan's and Rahshon Clark's than Michael Beasley's and Kevin Durant's for a single year.....This rule is only hurting the college game by recruiting these players....when everyone knows that they aren't even going to be on campus at the end of the season....Why can't college basketball imitate what is happening in football; players cannot leave for the NFL unless they've been in school for 3 yrs....

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 35

Re: NBA draft age restriction

or change the rule to 21 and bring college basketball back to what it used to be.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 41

I think an MLB type rule would be best for college basketball.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 37

I have said this since they instituted the rule. Either you do it like football or don't do anything. A kids can simply pass 6 credits his first semester and he doesn't even have to show up to a class the second and is eligible to play the season. What good is that?

I do somewhat disagree with the OP. I think it may make it easier for smaller schools to succeed. The big name guys are getting the "one and dones" while smaller schools get the less talented kids. When they get those it let's those kids play together longer therefor build chemistry and actually become a better team. That's just my little theory.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

If anything they need to bump the NBA age limit up 1 more year like the NFL has. Must be at least 2 years removed from HS to enter the draft. I think these kids need at least 1 year of college because not only do they develop as a player but also mature some as a human being. For every Kobe and Lebron there are a handful of Johnathan Bender, Leon Smith, and Kwame Brown types of busts that were 1st round picks out of HS that were not ready for the pros.

Go Cubs Go!

Walk On
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I like the baseball rule.

Come out of high school or go to college, but if you go to college you have to stay for three years...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
    I like the baseball rule.

Come out of high school or go to college, but if you go to college you have to stay for three years...
    That would work.

Or so I have read.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 678

If NBA teams weren't drafting HS players based solely on potential, it wouldn't have been a problem anyway. Guys like Jermaine O'Neal who sit the bench for 3 years and then explode on another team. I don't see the appeal to drafting someone with potential in the NBA when there is only a 3 year guarantee. Either they bust, or you groom them with the possibility of them leaving. Occasionally you hit the jackpot, but the pro teams made their own bed on this one.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 980
    Given: 520

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I have said this since they instituted the rule. Either you do it like football or don't do anything. A kids can simply pass 6 credits his first semester and he doesn't even have to show up to a class the second and is eligible to play the season. What good is that?

I do somewhat disagree with the OP. I think it may make it easier for smaller schools to succeed. The big name guys are getting the "one and dones" while smaller schools get the less talented kids. When they get those it let's those kids play together longer therefor build chemistry and actually become a better team. That's just my little theory.
    I agree. The top schools end up with some very talented freshman and sophomores, but the rest of the schools can counter with some experienced juniors and seniors who have had time to develop, and also have learned to play the game as a team.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 817
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    If anything they need to bump the NBA age limit up 1 more year like the NFL has. Must be at least 2 years removed from HS to enter the draft. I think these kids need at least 1 year of college because not only do they develop as a player but also mature some as a human being. For every Kobe and Lebron there are a handful of Johnathan Bender, Leon Smith, and Kwame Brown types of busts that were 1st round picks out of HS that were not ready for the pros.
    NFL is actually 3 years.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    If NBA teams weren't drafting HS players based solely on potential, it wouldn't have been a problem anyway. Guys like Jermaine O'Neal who sit the bench for 3 years and then explode on another team. I don't see the appeal to drafting someone with potential in the NBA when there is only a 3 year guarantee. Either they bust, or you groom them with the possibility of them leaving. Occasionally you hit the jackpot, but the pro teams made their own bed on this one.
    I understand it. If you ar epicking high, and most kids out of HS went highly, you aren''t a good team. You try to get a guy that can be "that guy." If you miss, you don't lose much, but if you hit, you have a LeBron or a Kobe or a Garnett or a McGrady type talent. Look what each did for their teams. LeBron turned Cleveland into a team that competes. Kobe, Garnett, and McGrady also turned a bad team into a team that can compete. The fact is that anyone can bust. Why not take the kid with the most upside.

Don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying, I am just giving a little different perspective.

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Name two other cases in which somebody has sat on the bench for three years, went to another team, and became a great player.
    I think the rule is fine as it is. It gets the Kevin Durants and Derrick Roses in college for at least a year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    Name two other cases in which somebody has sat on the bench for three years, went to another team, and became a great player.
    I think the rule is fine as it is. It gets the Kevin Durants and Derrick Roses in college for at least a year.
    Do you think they got a lot out of college though? I am not saying the rule hurts, I am just saying it doesn't do much since all they have to do is pass 6 credits their first semester. IMO it is just useless.

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Do you think they got a lot out of college though? I am not saying the rule hurts, I am just saying it doesn't do much since all they have to do is pass 6 credits their first semester. IMO it is just useless.
    The NBA might say they do it for educational purposes but really they're doing it so NBA teams get a longer look at these guys before taking them out of high school. I'm guessing at least 30 % of the guys that would come out of HS now go to at least 2 years of college. There aren't as many one and dones as some think and the rule does help to weed out the guys who would have been busts.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I understand it. If you ar epicking high, and most kids out of HS went highly, you aren''t a good team. You try to get a guy that can be "that guy." If you miss, you don't lose much, but if you hit, you have a LeBron or a Kobe or a Garnett or a McGrady type talent. Look what each did for their teams. LeBron turned Cleveland into a team that competes. Kobe, Garnett, and McGrady also turned a bad team into a team that can compete. The fact is that anyone can bust. Why not take the kid with the most upside.
    You provided four of the best examples of high school talent. Moses Malone would be a good addition to that list. But Garnett didn't accomplish much for the T-Wolves, and McGrady did nothing for the Raptors and not much more for either the Magic or the Rockets (what, one playoff series win?). And how many bad high school picks were made in that time? You'd have a hard time making a list because most of them don't stick around to have their names remembered, but the list would be pretty lengthy.