Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 101

Apologies to those who leave early in Hilton

It used to drive me nuts when people would leave at the last time out in the basketball game. But after yesterday, I totally understand.

With about 3:20 seconds left ISU went into its hold the ball offense and was only able to muster up some really bad shots. I personally think that can be the most fun time of the game, when the other team is jacking threes and letting a chance for you to run with the ball or get easy buckets.

I would rather watch back ups attempt to run up and down the court with a 25 point lead vs just holding the ball with the starters.

(it still bothers me when these people leave when the game is tied or close)

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Apologies to those who leave early in Hilton

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    It used to drive me nuts when people would leave at the last time out in the basketball game. But after yesterday, I totally understand.

With about 3:20 seconds left ISU went into its hold the ball offense and was only able to muster up some really bad shots. I personally think that can be the most fun time of the game, when the other team is jacking threes and letting a chance for you to run with the ball or get easy buckets.

I would rather watch back ups attempt to run up and down the court with a 25 point lead vs just holding the ball with the starters.

(it still bothers me when these people leave when the game is tied or close)
    Agree with everything, particularly the bolded. I get leaving early when the score is +/- 20 points, but when one team is a three away from winning or sending it to OT...

Out of curiosity, wasn't there something in the Facility Master Plan a couple of years ago about putting suites in Hilton that would obstruct the view from the concourse? I think one of the biggest contributors to people getting a "head start" is being able to go to the top of the stairs, turn around, and still see the game if it's close.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Last years game against Kansas was pathetic by our fans!

We were down 10 to 15 and everybody was filling out. Nevermind we had a player named Craig Brackins who had put up over 40+ points! It was very unfortunate we didn't have a full house to applaud him when Greg took him out at the end of the game

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Agree with everything, particularly the bolded. I get leaving early when the score is +/- 20 points, but when one team is a three away from winning or sending it to OT...

Out of curiosity, wasn't there something in the Facility Master Plan a couple of years ago about putting suites in Hilton that would obstruct the view from the concourse? I think one of the biggest contributors to people getting a "head start" is being able to go to the top of the stairs, turn around, and still see the game if it's close.
    I don't know why everyone worries about the people who are leaving early in close games. Sometimes people HAVE to get going for something else going on in their lives other than an ISU game. Shouldn't we be happy they came, paid good money and cheered while they were there?

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    I don't know why everyone worries about the people who are leaving early in close games. Sometimes people HAVE to get going for something else going on in their lives other than an ISU game. Shouldn't we be happy they came, paid good money and cheered while they were there?

True, but it does sadden me a bit. I understand they have places to go, I personally just like a full house, but I wont slash their tires if they go.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Certainly there are occasions where there are extenuating circumstances, but I find it hard to believe that 1/4 to 1/2 of the crowd has something "going on" that they have to get to immediately (that wouldn't require them skipping the game altogether).

What scares me is a situation where it's close, everybody leaves, the game goes into overtime, and Hilton goes flat. Pressure's off the opponent, they're able to pull off a win. Granted, from what I've heard so far on here, it sounds like Hilton is quiet enough on average that it wouldn't matter...so maybe it's a moot point.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This isn't true. While SOME fans may have to go somewhere else, it isn't a coincidence that 25% of the fans leave at EXACTLY the same time. We get down 10 with 2 mintues to go and people are flying out the door

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 40

The 'drive home forecast' seems to be a lot of people's cue to head for the concourse.

I think part of it is a symptom of the mess that goes on in the lots afterwards, that a lot of people want to avoid.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

Everyone has their own things going on, and sometimes leaving early is a necessity. But I can't be sold on the fact that all of the people that leave early or stand at the top of the parquet have to leave. Fans know what they are signing up for when they get tickets, but it is their choice.

However, it is everyon else's business when the fans leaving early or stand up top because it affects the atmosphere of Hilton. I remember a game a few years ago when the inside concourse was full at the end of the game, and the game actually got closer so then many of them filed back into their seats. I'm guessing they didn't have another commitment they needed to get to.

Personally, I never leave early. But I understand that others have their own criteria.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    This isn't true. While SOME fans may have to go somewhere else, it isn't a coincidence that 25% of the fans leave at EXACTLY the same time. We get down 10 with 2 mintues to go and people are flying out the door
    I thought we were talking about close games.
    If they're down 10 with two minutes left and have shown no signs of life, people leaving is a good way to show your athletic administration something needs changing.

The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.

GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Starter
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

Our fans are pathetic - even if it's close there's a good percentage that stand on the concourse with one foot out the door. People think they'll get out of the parking lots faster if they run out before the game is over. Those are the people that act like ****** in the parking lots, almost running over pedestrians and making sure nobody gets in in front of them so they can get out 10 seconds faster.

I would love if they put suites in so the inner concourse would be gone. If you are going to leave - get out, don't hang around clogging up the concourse. /end rant

read this post quickly - it might not last long

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 47

I stayed this whole game even though it was a blowout. I was just relaxing and enjoying it. Sometimes I have to bail a little early if it's a blowout because I have stuff to do. Not quite sure why anyone cares when people leave during a blowout. What is the point of sitting there and watching.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    The 'drive home forecast' seems to be a lot of people's cue to head for the concourse.

I think part of it is a symptom of the mess that goes on in the lots afterwards, that a lot of people want to avoid.
    Disagree. That's the 8 minute media. It's when the fight song starts at the 4 minute media that people get up and leave.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by superfan
    Yes, there was a plan to put suites along the north and south sides, but it wasn't at concourse level. They were in the upper deck, and would take the place of the first 12(?) rows of seats on both sides, for almost the full length of the side. There was an artists' rendering from the architect floating around out there, but I haven't seen it for years. It was at the same time they were discussing widening the main (exterior) concourse by putting those massive all-glass exterior walls on the north and south sides. Same project. (There's a drawing of that, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Not quite sure why anyone cares when people leave during a blowout. What is the point of sitting there and watching.
    Supporting your team is the point, win or lose. That's something that our fan base has been noted for in the past: cheering on the teams regardless of the outcome of the game, or the point spread. That rarely happens at other schools, so finding fans that do it consistently is noteworthy and reflects VERY highly on us. Leaving early removes you from that.

I have never left a Cyclone sporting event early in the five years I've gone to school here. I've stayed until the end (sometimes the extremely bitter end) for every single game, match, and meet, to cheer on the Cyclones as they head to the locker room- to remind them that I appreciate their efforts win or lose, and inspire them to work hard in practice and come out next time and knock their next opponent out of the park. Having an arena full of screaming, cheering fans is WAY more important after a loss- especially a blowout- than it is after a win. Our athletes need to remember that their fans support them, and staying all the way until the end is the only real way to do that.

Unless you're one of those pansy-*** fair-weather bandwagon fans who only comes to games when we're amazing. You can get the **** out.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    Yes, there was a plan to put suites along the north and south sides, but it wasn't at concourse level. They were in the upper deck, and would take the place of the first 12(?) rows of seats on both sides, for almost the full length of the side. There was an artists' rendering from the architect floating around out there, but I haven't seen it for years. It was at the same time they were discussing widening the main (exterior) concourse by putting those massive all-glass exterior walls on the north and south sides. Same project. (There's a drawing of that, too.)

Supporting your team is the point, win or lose. That's something that our fan base has been noted for in the past: cheering on the teams regardless of the outcome of the game, or the point spread. That rarely happens at other schools, so finding fans that do it consistently is noteworthy and reflects VERY highly on us. Leaving early removes you from that.

I have never left a Cyclone sporting event early in the five years I've gone to school here. I've stayed until the end (sometimes the extremely bitter end) for every single game, match, and meet, to cheer on the Cyclones as they head to the locker room- to remind them that I appreciate their efforts win or lose, and inspire them to work hard in practice and come out next time and knock their next opponent out of the park. Having an arena full of screaming, cheering fans is WAY more important after a loss- especially a blowout- than it is after a win. Our athletes need to remember that their fans support them, and staying all the way until the end is the only real way to do that.

Unless you're one of those pansy-*** fair-weather bandwagon fans who only comes to games when we're amazing. You can get the **** out.
    Because ISU is world-renowned for their bandwagon fans.