Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

why wouldn't ISU be considered for the big 11?

everyone always says that it would never happen but i don't know why mizzou would be a better choice than us.

i really just don't understand any of this situation, so if someone could fill me in that would be great.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,300
    Given: 1,130

Re: why wouldn't ISU be considered for the big 11?

Mizzou has that whole St. Louis/Kansas City thing going (though maybe St. Louis has some Illini presence already. Not sure there), which are two top 30ish markets. Plenty of people and money.

We don't really offer anything near that from a TV standpoint, or a prominence standpoint.

I think I"d love to do the Big 10 thing, but I don't see any way where we're on their top 5.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 19

Simply put, they already have the "Iowa" market because of the Hawks. Nothing really gained in terms of revenue generating fans with the addition of ISU.

That said, we qualify academically and regionally, but it's a LOOOOONG shot at best.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Mizzou has that whole St. Louis/Kansas City thing going (though maybe St. Louis has some Illini presence already. Not sure there), which are two top 30ish markets. Plenty of people and money.

We don't really offer anything near that from a TV standpoint, or a prominence standpoint.

I think I"d love to do the Big 10 thing, but I don't see any way where we're on their top 5.
    Exactly. Good post.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I think it is more of an option than some suggest. The big ten does not want to add an upper echelon team. Why would they? Money? They have plenty of money right now and that will not change regardless of what team they add.

In my opinion the big ten is more concerned with finding a good fit for their conference so they can add a championship game. That will bring money to the conference all by itself and the current powers will see no threat to adding an Iowa State.

And the big ten does not already have all the Iowa TV sets. The entire southwest corner gets Nebraska programming. I don't know if that would change though.

I think ISU is a better fit for the Big ten than Missouri based on everything but money. Missouri obviously would bring in more TV sets.

I don't see the big ten looking at Nebraska. Nebraska has half the population of Iowa. Many people either don't know that or forget to mention it. Nebraska is a bad fit academically as well.

Geographically, ISU is a great fit for the big ten. It would also meet the academic requirements (for the most part) and the big ten powers feel zero threat from adding an ISU.

I would rather stay in the big 12 especially if they finally share revenue equally, but I think people suggesting the big 10 would not look at ISU are crazy and just don't get what some of the upper echelon schools are primarily concerned with and that is winning.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by D UP Clones View Post
    And the big ten does not already have all the Iowa TV sets. The entire southwest corner gets Nebraska programming. I don't know if that would change though.

I think ISU is a better fit for the Big ten than Missouri based on everything but money. Missouri obviously would bring in more TV sets.

I don't see the big ten looking at Nebraska. Nebraska has half the population of Iowa. Many people either don't know that or forget to mention it. Nebraska is a bad fit academically as well.

Geographically, ISU is a great fit for the big ten. It would also meet the academic requirements (for the most part) and the big ten powers feel zero threat from adding an ISU.

I would rather stay in the big 12 especially if they finally share revenue equally, but I think people suggesting the big 10 would not look at ISU are crazy and just don't get what some of the upper echelon schools are primarily concerned with and that is winning.
    There are a lot of ISU fans in SW Iowa. Most fans in Nebraska are Neb FB fans and they love their team, it would bring eyes to TVs and open up a new market for the Big whatever. Why is Nebraskas fit adademically any different than ISU's?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324
    I think it is more of an option than some suggest. The big ten does not want to add an upper echelon team. Why would they? Money? They have plenty of money right now and that will not change regardless of what team they add.

In my opinion the big ten is more concerned with finding a good fit for their conference so they can add a championship game. That will bring money to the conference all by itself and the current powers will see no threat to adding an Iowa State.

This might be one of the most na´ve posts I have ever seen. "The Big 10 isn't interested in expanding their market because they already have plenty of money"? Seriously? That would be like saying that large corporation A would have no interest in expanding their market share and making more money in buying out smaller competitor B because A already has plenty of assets and money. It's a ridiculous statement.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    There are a lot of ISU fans in SW Iowa. Most fans in Nebraska are Neb FB fans and they love their team, it would bring eyes to TVs and open up a new market for the Big whatever. Why is Nebraskas fit adademically any different than ISU's?
    Because by adding Nebraska to the Big 10 they'd be adding the entire population of Nebraska plus SW Iowa plus whatever Husker fans there are nationally. What would Iowa State bring? A couple hundred thousand fans, mostly located in central Iowa, a market that is also covered by Iowa? Yeah, ISU is a more logical choice in the eyes of Big 10 administrators than Nebraska...

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Ah, yes, as ridiculous as not catching the statement of why the big ten wants to expand.

They want to expand so they can add a championship game which does bring in a lot of money for the conference. I don't agree that the primary reason they want to expand is to add TV sets which is what you evidently are suggesting.

Maybe you just struggle with reading comprehension.

And your corporation analogy may be the dumbest attempt to make a point. No corporation would ever add a competitor, period. They would only add a business if they can control it. Penn State has no control over a new team. What a stupid comparison.

Try again.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Ah, yes, as ridiculous as not catching the statement of why the big ten wants to expand.

They want to expand so they can add a championship game which does bring in a lot of money for the conference. I don't agree that the primary reason they want to expand is to add TV sets which is what you evidently are suggesting.

Maybe you just struggle with reading comprehension.

And your corporation analogy may be the dumbest attempt to make a point. No corporation would ever add a competitor, period. They would only add a business if they can control it. Penn State has no control over a new team. What a stupid comparison.

Try again.
    No corporation would ever add a competitor? Explain Exxon-Mobil. Explain banks buying each other out.

You try again.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Because by adding Nebraska to the Big 10 they'd be adding the entire population of Nebraska plus SW Iowa plus whatever Husker fans there are nationally. What would Iowa State bring? A couple hundred thousand fans, mostly located in central Iowa, a market that is also covered by Iowa? Yeah, ISU is a more logical choice in the eyes of Big 10 administrators than Nebraska...
    Isnt that what I said.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well I guess if they ignore that nebraskas has HALF the population of Iowa and that Nebraska is inferior academically, you may have a point.

Oh, and not to mention that Nebraska is not very good anymore. 9-7 See you, husker fan.

Anyone without blinders on knows that Nebraska is about half of what every Nebraska fan believes them to be. I don't care how many businesses they get to buy out their stadium to keep their "sell out" streak in tact.

Huskers, small state, no TV sets, on the downward slide, lower academic standards, no go

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,300
    Given: 1,130

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    No corporation would ever add a competitor? Explain Exxon-Mobil. Explain banks buying each other out.

You try again.
    Exactly.

Not sure what motive there is for anyone to say that the conference would have a reason past $/

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/