Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 86

What do you do with the Big East?

If a Big East team goes to the Big 10, you have a 7 team football conference. It seems that for whatever reason, teams run from that conference like coaches do. I don't get it, because it seems to provide a lot of opportunity for BCS/National Title appearances, if you get the job done, but that's the reality. Do they take a team from the ACC, like Maryland? I've heard rumors that MD wants out, and they've looked at the Big East. Do they woo Navy? Navy has had good football success recently, and showed they can hang with the big boys in the Shoe this year.

The problem is, they have several quality football programs laying around (assuming Pitt leaves, WVU, Cincy, Louisville, USF, and UConn all have potential), but 7 teams just doesn't cut the mustard. Do the other conferences just have a draft, and dissolve the Big East for football?

If it's Mizzou, of course none of this matters.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Starter
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Re: What do you do with the Big East?

If its true that MD wants out, they should be calling the Big Ten. I think they would be a better option for the Big Ten than any of the Big East schools being mentioned.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

Can't dissolve the Big East without disrupting the BCS and also one of the top basketball conferences. Ideally, Notre Dame would join the Big East since they are already affiliated in the conference for every sport except football.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

I think the ideal team to take from the ACC would be BC. They spread the conference out too thin and the Boston media market and the proximity to ESPN headquarters in Connecticut would be a good thing for the Big 10 to have.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

You remove the Big East from the BCS picture and insert the Mountain West.

There is your answer.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

so disband the independent conference? Why even have two teams in a conference?? If o where do you stick Army and Navy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    If a Big East team goes to the Big 10, you have a 7 team football conference. It seems that for whatever reason, teams run from that conference like coaches do. I don't get it, because it seems to provide a lot of opportunity for BCS/National Title appearances, if you get the job done, but that's the reality. Do they take a team from the ACC, like Maryland? I've heard rumors that MD wants out, and they've looked at the Big East. Do they woo Navy? Navy has had good football success recently, and showed they can hang with the big boys in the Shoe this year.

The problem is, they have several quality football programs laying around (assuming Pitt leaves, WVU, Cincy, Louisville, USF, and UConn all have potential), but 7 teams just doesn't cut the mustard. Do the other conferences just have a draft, and dissolve the Big East for football?

FWIW I think Syracuse and Pitt are the likliest to go to the Big 10. I think a big thing about that conference is that there isn't a ton of money there. I think something to think about on that is that the east is generally a pro region. They will focus more on the Jets, Giants, Patriots, Yanks, Red Sox, etc than they will on college stuff. I think that is a big reason the Big East is not as financially sound as some other conferences.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 335
    Given: 208

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post

Not necessarilly true. The chain reaction still potentially hurts the big east If the big 12 ends up adding Arkansas. I think in that scenario WVU, Louisville or even USF start looking attractive to the SEC. Even if the SEC somehow snagged an ACC defector in that situation, where is the ACC going to look to make up it's loss? The Big East.

The only way the Big East escapes unscathed is if everyone keeps looking west.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    You remove the Big East from the BCS picture and insert the Mountain West.

There is your answer.
    Not happening. As little money as there is in the Big East, there's less in the Mountain West. You still have that problem of how bad the Mountain West gets after the top 3-4 teams. The Big East is a decent league from top to bottom, and the Mountain West has a couple really good teams and a bunch of really bad ones. The Big East is a good coach and program from staying put away from being a powerful football conference.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Not necessarilly true. The chain reaction still potentially hurts the big east If the big 12 ends up adding Arkansas. I think in that scenario WVU, Louisville or even USF start looking attractive to the SEC. Even if the SEC somehow snagged an ACC defector in that situation, where is the ACC going to look to make up it's loss? The Big East.

The only way the Big East escapes unscathed is if everyone keeps looking west.
    That's where we'd go, IMO, if Mizzou leaves. I don't think Arkansas ends up in the Big 12, it's possible, and I think they'd look into it, but TCU or Houston gets there first.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    so disband the independent conference? Why even have two teams in a conference?? If o where do you stick Army and Navy
    Say what? The 'independent conference'? What exactly do you think the independent indicates?

I'd like to assume that you just forgot our good buddy Jimlad, but I just don't know...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like how the Big Ten has suddenly made my plan from last week for the NCAA to mandate all football conferences going to 12 teams not seem so crazy. Maybe I'll have to dig that up again. If the Big Ten expansion goes down, I think some sort of massive restructuring MAY be required to preserve the Big East as a relevant football conference. I don't think the NCAA is prepared to give up on the Northeast as a college football market and to that end it is in there best interest to have the Big East stay somewhat strong.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 56

A very key thing to think about with the Big East is the fact that they already have 16 teams in the basketball Big East. I sure don't see Georgetown, Setan Hall, Villanova, St. Johns, Marguette, Depaul, or Providence joining the football conference anytime soon...

I think in a perfect world they'd love to add a couple schools for football only but I don't know how many would want to do that.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I like how the Big Ten has suddenly made my plan from last week for the NCAA to mandate all football conferences going to 12 teams not seem so crazy. Maybe I'll have to dig that up again. If the Big Ten expansion goes down, I think some sort of massive restructuring MAY be required to preserve the Big East as a relevant football conference. I don't think the NCAA is prepared to give up on the Northeast as a college football market and to that end it is in there best interest to have the Big East stay somewhat strong.
    So 10 conferences with 12 teams each? Interesting.

Why not 12 conferences with 10 teams each? Every conference plays a true round-robin (9 league games) to determine a champion, leaving 3 non-conference games. Conference champions are seeded in a 12-team playoff (top 4 get byes). First two rounds at home sites of the higher seed. Round 1: Dec. 5. Round 2: Dec. 12. Semifinals: Jan. 1 (at two BCS sites). Championship: Jan. 8 (at a third BCS site).

All losers in rounds 1 and 2 go back into the bowl selection pool.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    So 10 conferences with 12 teams each? Interesting.

Why not 12 conferences with 10 teams each? Every conference plays a true round-robin (9 league games) to determine a champion, leaving 3 non-conference games. Conference champions are seeded in a 12-team playoff (top 4 get byes). First two rounds at home sites of the higher seed. Round 1: Dec. 5. Round 2: Dec. 12. Semifinals: Jan. 1 (at two BCS sites). Championship: Jan. 8 (at a third BCS site).

All losers in rounds 1 and 2 go back into the bowl selection pool.
    I had it with 10 conferences with 12 teams each, somewhat preserving the big six conferences and then divying up everyone else geographically. In a playoff system all of the BCS conferences would get a first-round bye with a 10-team playoff. You could either keep the current regular season format + championship games for all teams or go to an 11-game round robin conference schedule +1 warm-up non-conference game for everyone. I'll see if I can dig the thing up.