Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The perfect coach for Michigan...

or Kentucky/Arizona which are the schools that are prime coaching positions that might be open in the near future. This coachs style fits the big ten to a tee. Be big, strong, and physical. Out rebound and out defend your opponent.

Billy Gillispie. This is the time Acie Law is a Senior and he has taking this school from an 0-16 season(in the 03-04 season) to where they are now. Michigan is begging for a coach like this and that program hasn't been in the NCAA tournament for about 10 years. That should never happen, Mr. Gillispie will change that, there is no coach out their that will fit what they need. This would give them instant credibility and put them in the top 5 of the Big 10+1 for years to come.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 89

Re: The perfect coach for Michigan...

I think Lowery from Southern Illinois would fit in there perfectly.

I've heard Gillespie wouldn't leave A&M for any job, but maybe Illinois if it ever opened up.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

Why Would Gillespie Take a Step Down?

How is Michigan or Arizona a better job than A&M? Kentucky has great tradition, but going forward is it a better job than A&M?

Gillespie can build A&M to the same level that Barnes built Texas- a consistent national top 10 program. Texas HS basketball kicks out tons of awesome talent every year. Texas HS basketball is what FL, CA & TX are to HS football.

Plus Gillespie is from Texas- I would think he's glad to be home. Also A&M has got a pretty big athletic budget so they can pay Gillespie some serious coin- something AZ & UK may find it tough to do.

IMO Michigan will follow Illinois & Ohio State's lead and hire a mid-major who's had some success like Lowry, Butlers Coach or Miller(Xavier).

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think there are two factors in any decision he would make to leave. One, is money, and A & M can pay him whatever he needs.

The second factor, and possibly most important, is that he is single. Now I have been to College Station, and Bryan, and there are some nice young ladies in those towns. However, they are all in their early 20's, and I don't see Gillespie pulling a Rick Hartzell, and dating a girl who is in college (in his defense he did marry her, McDermott was his best man).

I think that he stays at A & M for awhile, but I don't know what his expectations are.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Gillepsie is good, but I'm not convinced he the next Roy Williams yet. Yeah the guy has done a great job, but as we all know that's a combination of coaching and great players. He loses some good ones this year, so next year will be a good test. I keep thinking back to the the Larry Eustachy years and how after a couple very good years, we went down the drain.

I think Mr. Gillepsie can find a nice lady most anywhere he wants. With the salary he commands he can go anywhere in the country.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 42

If I were a coach I'd probably prefer being single. Less responsibility, more time to focus on the sport. Kind of lonely in the offseason though. :(

If a guy can turn A&M into a national power in 3 years, I'm convinced he is elite. That would be like Chizik coming here and getting us into the Holiday or Cotton Bowl year 3.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    If I were a coach I'd probably prefer being single. Less responsibility, more time to focus on the sport. Kind of lonely in the offseason though. :(

If a guy can turn A&M into a national power in 3 years, I'm convinced he is elite. That would be like Chizik coming here and getting us into the Holiday or Cotton Bowl year 3.
    Well then you better put Larry Eustachy on the throne...

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 42

I get what you say about Larry, no doubt they are similar circumstances. However, atleast Larry walked into a program who was a perenial NCAA tournament team in the 90s and only 2 years removed from the Sweet 16. Poor Gillepsi walks into a team on rock bottom, although he did inherit a couple nice players. I think you are right, next year is a big year for him to solidify all doubters.

Looking at their incoming recruiting class, they have a 5 star(7 footer) and three 3 stars. I can't see Texas A&M crash landing like we did the year after Tinsley left.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    or Kentucky/Arizona which are the schools that are prime coaching positions that might be open in the near future. This coachs style fits the big ten to a tee. Be big, strong, and physical. Out rebound and out defend your opponent.

Billy Gillispie. This is the time Acie Law is a Senior and he has taking this school from an 0-16 season(in the 03-04 season) to where they are now. Michigan is begging for a coach like this and that program hasn't been in the NCAA tournament for about 10 years. That should never happen, Mr. Gillispie will change that, there is no coach out their that will fit what they need. This would give them instant credibility and put them in the top 5 of the Big 10+1 for years to come.
    Why on earth would BG leave A&M now? They adore him there. A&M will pay him anything he wants, he's got a fairly new state-of-the-art arena to play in, a huge talent pool right in his back yard (which is only going to get bigger as the population continues to shift to states like Texas that have favorable business conditions), and nice, relatively temperate winters. What can Michigan offer him that he can't get at A&M? His style is a perfect fit for the Big 12.

If you are a UM fan or alum, you might consider barkin' up another tree. UM isn't the hot MBB job that it used to be, and the Big 10 isn't the elite conference that the press (led by the Big 10 mouthpiece ESPN) makes them out to be. UM MBB has been playing second fiddle to Tom Izzo for quite some time, and probably will for some time to come...