Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 44

Tecmo Bowl:Top 10 named games.

For the old schoolers here.....we've played well over 300 games of the original Tecmo(from 1989) and chronicled much about them in our day. Came across an old email with the top 10 named games. Its a long read.

List is comprised based off relevance and/or lasting impressions.

10. "The Mecklenberg Interception". A battle of the 2nd circuit players between Jeff(Miami) and Eric(Denver) saw this cellar dweller game take long lasting meaning with one of the most bone-headed foul-ups ive ever seen.

Miami had a 15-3 lead late in the 3rd when Denver started to chip away. Denver settled for a questionable FG late in the 3rd. Questionable on account of the limited time remaining and the need for touchdowns. Denver then drove down for a TD late in the 4th to get within 2 with little time remaining.

From there all Miami needed to do was run out the clock and get the win. On a 3rd down play Denver dialed up a play pick and Jeff inexplicably dropped back further and further then threw to a covered receiver. That defender was Karl Mecklenberg and he had virtually no time to get out of bounds for a Fg attempt and was 40 yards from the endzone. It was touchdown or bust. He weaved through the Miami players from one side to the other collecting blockers as needed and finally made his way into the endzone for one of the most unexpected comebacks I'd ever seen.

That lives on as the most infamous interception of all time.

9. "I got you". Finger pointing is advised. Nate and Minnesota took an unblemished record into a big game with Dallas. That game saw the Dallas defense repeatedly shut down Minnesota. Late in the game Brad's defender broke off from Anthony Carter as it looked like Kramer was about to run for a crucial 1st down. A moment later Kramer fired a laser into Carters awaiting arms that proved to be the catalyst for the game winning drive. Nate simply laughed, pointed and proclaimed "I got you". A phrase he uses repeatedly.

8. "Playpicked out of the stadium(on accident)". In a huge rivalry game with all the division title marbles on the line, Miami traveled to New york for the season finale. Trailing midway in the 4th qtr by a 9-6 score, Miami found itself inside the 5 yardline with a 1st down and posied to win the game.

What lie ahead was the greatest redzone ambush of all time. Nate knew all too well that his only option now was to let Miami score as soon as possible, block the pat then get a FG in the final seconds to take it overtime. He decided to choose the play least likely to be choosen by Brad. Instead he lucked into back to back playpicks. From there, Nate decided 2 more playpicks wins the damn game, and lo and behold, rolled snake eyes to playpick Miami out of the stadium.

NY got the ball back inside the 10 and used a long Landeta punt in the final seconds to win the game. Miami got the last laugh and did claim the championship that season, but not without some severe dramatics from the LT and his cronies.

7. "The Al Michaels game". This game pitted a dominant Chicago team against the hapless Cowboys squad lead by Moose Johnston and Aikman. The no-name Dallas defense proved home field advantage is strong and Dallas played the defensive game of their lives. CHI held a slim 7-6 lead midway in the 4th after a Dallas FG. At this point Nate is believing like no other that he can win this completely lopsided game with far inferior talent. The "You gotta believe" chants had started to flow a little in the 2nd qtr, and now were becoming louder and louder with each passing minute.

Then Green took the kickoff to the house and ended Dallas' day in the sun. Chicago prevailed 14-6. It was a phenomenal effort by Nate and Dallas in a game he had no business losing by less than 17.

6. "The original" punt sack game. NY was placing a sound beatdown on Seattle leading at halftime 14-0. Seattle mounted a couple scoring drives and pulled it to 14-13 midway in the 4th. The defense held NY one more time and appeared to force a 3 and out in a crazed attempt to get the ball back one last time.

Then unforeseen terror struck. As Nate let the meter cycle through a few extra times to burn more clock getting ready to punt, a Seattle defender broke free and tackled Landeta before he could punt. Overtaken by the unexpected chain of events and quick surge in momentum Nate and NYG surrendered a quick TD and the game looked to be over as Seattle led 20-14. It was the most insane turn-around we'd ever witnessed in a game of tecmo!

However, Dave Meggett would have none of it and returned the kickoff to the house to help NY claim a late victory over Seattle by a score of 21-20 despite the massive punting gaffe.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Tecmo Bowl:Top 10 named games.

5. "Tim Mckyer phenomenon." In a back and forth battle Denver(trailing by 4) drove down to the SF 5 with a 2 seconds remaining in the game. Nate had been exclusively using Lott and Michael Carter on defense all game long. This signaled that a run play to the top if not called by the defense would result in Nate's defender having to make a spectacular diving tackle on Dorsett to prevent the TD. However a moment before snapping the ball, Nate switched to Tim McKyer(bottom DB) who would inevitably not be blocked on this play and stuffed Dorsett at the 2 yard line. Game over. Cat and mouse was previously used to an extent a this point, but this game was the springboard for more complex defensive surprises.

4. "LT's suicide kamikaze blitz." The 1st game of Tecmo pitting Nate vs Brad. Miami(Brad) was driving late in the 3rd up 13-3 and looking to end the game. Inside the 5 Nate decided a suicide blitz with LT was his only recourse at a desperate time of the game. The rushing LT forced Marino to panic and he threw an ill-advised pass to a covered WR resulting in an INT giving New York new life. Miami eventually won the game, but it set the stage for years and years of furious tecmo action featuring all sorts of unpredictable surprises.

3. "Why you livin' in the past?" Brad was just minutes removed from claiming the 2004 tecmo title with Seattle when an exhibition game got set up with Seattle and Minnesota. Anthony Carter returned a kickoff for a TD late and MIN(controlled by Nate) toppled SEA. Ecstatic over the victory, Nate was adamant about claiming Brad was resting on his laurels of a past championship (some 20 minutes ago) and asked repeatedly in a loud and brash tone "Why you livin' in the past? Why you livin' in the past?"

Interesting enough there is a back story to this sage. Early in the playoffs Nate proclaimed if his Minnesota squad and Seattle would meet up, Minnesota would win that match-up and end Brad's magical season with the Seahawks. However a playoff loss by Minnesota to Cleveland ended that speculation. After the championship game was concluded, Nate petitioned for the phantom Seattle/Minnesota match-up. Minnesota played strong defense and just when it looked like Seattle had the game in hand with a late TD, Carter's kick return antics sealed it.

2. "Bo Jackson will not beat me." In 2004 the marquee match-up was considered SF/LA. The most prolific offenses facing off in wild and crazy games. SF had won 4 consecutive games in this heated rivalry with Nates simple defensive gameplan: Stop Bo Jackson at all costs. Call Bo's run 1 play 99% of the game and use Ronnie Lott to force Schroeder to shoulder the load in the passing game. Simply put, the scheme was centered on Jay eventually throwing an INT or 2 a game and SF would use those turnovers to come out on top.

In a playoff meeting with time running down LA was driving, trying to get in field goal range for a late field goal attempt. Knowing all too well what SF had been calling all game, LA gambled and called Bo's run 1. At the same time with SF in a panic on defense and in fear of surrendering the game wining field goal, Nate had switched up his call on that play to stop the pass. Bo Jackson promptly gouged the 9er defense for a long run. A couple plays later Matt Bahr hit a long game winning field goal at the gun to claim a 9-7 LA victory. It took 5 games but Bo finally beat him.

1. "The Denver Ref crew" game. This signaled the beginnings of what Nate would claim is continual shoddy officiating thats plagued his games. This particular game saw Denver as the beneficiary of a couple huge/questionable calls regarding ruled INT's and TD's against SF. This was also the only blatant forfeit in our Tecmo history(the nintendo was given a swift kick by Nate and it reset). To this day, its believed the referee crew still holds a grudge against Nate for his mid/post game outbursts.

Best of the rest

The Comeback
    Seattle faced off with San Fran on the road in an early season divisional game. SF rolled through Seattle for a 14-0 lead at halftime. Seattle was utterly dominated that half. From there, Seattle's defense held SF scoreless the rest of the way and the seahawks mounted a couple scoring drives to take it into OT.

In OT Seattle won the toss but was unable to move the ball. After a punt and succesful defensive stand Krieg and co regained possesion. Facing a forth and short at their 45, Seattle opted to go for it. Figuring the defense couldnt keep stopping SF's potent offense much longer. a conversion ensued. A few plays later John L williams broke a long run for the game winning TD in the 2nd greatest comeback of all time.

Key to the city game
    Nate tried repeatedly with Chicago to topple SF one night. After his 3rd attempt(which was a 31-6 blowout loss), Nate proclaimed he he had "the key to beating SF". He came close but some late game heroics by Montana sunk his hopes and reams for that night.

Everything was in the endzone but his Butt
    A rugged NY vs Washington game saw Nate and NY lead 3-0 late in the 4th qtr. Washington marched down the field and facing a 4th and goal from the 4 decided to go for the glory of the win with only a few seconds left. A pass to Didier(the TE) looked like it would produce the wining score, but LT stuffed him short at the goal line. It was a very questionable call by the refs as it even appeared to Nate that "everything was in the endzone but his butt."

Reggie Roby ain't white?
    Reggie caught the ball to punt and I noticed he was white. I commented on it then he turned black as he kicked the ball. Damnedest thing i ever saw.

I had 1 guy open, and Ronnie Lott was covering him.
    During SF's title run a few years back in a game against Nate and Cleveland, the computer game me some magical additional coverage and Nate in a disgusted tone utter these words. it was a season long nod to SF's dominance that year.

Last edited by Omaha Cy; 12-15-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 243

You can't post crap on Techmo Bowl and not even mention Bo Jackson and Lawrence Taylor. The two greatest video game players ever.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Legend
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 243

O.K. so you posted the top 5 while I was typing. This thread is now o.k.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    You can't post crap on Techmo Bowl and not even mention Bo Jackson and Lawrence Taylor. The two greatest video game players ever.
    A lot of effort is used to stop Bo Jackson. His highlights are few and far between now.

LT on the other hand.....

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Awesome!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

are you talking tecmo super bowl? that game was better than the first tecmo bowl. and bo 'knows' jackson was better in the 2nd than the first. i always hated playing san fran. they could always beat me no matter what i did.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by agronclone View Post
    are you talking tecmo super bowl? that game was better than the first tecmo bowl. and bo 'knows' jackson was better in the 2nd than the first. i always hated playing san fran. they could always beat me no matter what i did.
    I'm talking about the original Tecmo that only had 12 teams. TSB was filled with witchcraft! All those fumbles and randomly completed deep jump balls...witchcraft I say!

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 5

Oh how i miss that game...I can hear the hutt hutt hutt hutt now...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

No mention of the unstoppable Miami slot route.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

I actually like the original better. Maybe it is because we spent SO much time playing it...it was the first real FB game out there that was even halfway decent.

I assume that the SF pass (to Taylor?) that was unstoppable and the Chicago pass (to Boso?) are illegal in your tourney?

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    Oh how i miss that game...I can hear the hutt hutt hutt hutt now...
    Miss no more. You can play Tecmo Bowl along with tons of other games at vNES. Just find the game in the upper right hand corner under the "T" tab.

vNES

Enjoy!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I assume that the SF pass (to Taylor?) that was unstoppable and the Chicago pass (to Boso?) are illegal in your tourney?
    That's a great question. Its our #1 rule that you don't throw to a curling receiver if he is being covered by computer or human defender. many years ago we decided to outlaw that all-together.

The Giants, Dolphins, Redskins have those routes in their playbook. Herschel Walker runs a curl as well. That is completely unstoppable so we remove it from game play. Throw somewhere else, or run with the QB. Simple as that.

The Cap Boso or Roger Craig slant...I can intercept those all day long. Its a little tricky to get in the right area, but very feasible to pick those off most of the time.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 74

A good buddy of mine could elude all would be sackers at will. You would call the same play, your defenders would crash in there, and even if he had Bernie Kosar, he could juke around all the guys flying around and get positive yardage. He was the best Tecmo-Bowler ever. However, he could not match his expertise to Super Tecmo on Super Nintendo.

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by cyinne View Post
    Miss no more. You can play Tecmo Bowl along with tons of other games at vNES. Just find the game in the upper right hand corner under the "T" tab.

vNES

Enjoy!
    You just had to do it to me...right in the middle of finals. I definitely will enjoy, but probably will flunk out of law school now.