Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 541

Google Producing Its Own Phone...

and not just the software that runs a phone. This phone will be sold independent of the major cell companies. Will this phone be more expensive then due to the fact that it won't tie you into a contract with a carrier?

Google phone looks 'supersharp' | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 999
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 0

Re: Google Producing Its Own Phone...

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    and not just the software that runs a phone. This phone will be sold independent of the major cell companies. Will this phone be more expensive then due to the fact that it won't tie you into a contract with a carrier?

Google phone looks 'supersharp' | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs
    Just because google sells an unlocked phone doesn't mean that a carrier will let you get service without a contract. If they can get the carriers on board with this then maybe this will work. This is essentially the same model that Apple used with the iphone, but the plans through AT&T were more expensive than getting a phone from them directly. I wouldn't count on this lowering your bill at all.

If you are able to get carriers to drop contracts there is still the problem of different carriers using different signals. You can't, for example, go from AT&T to Verizon with the same phone because one runs on GSM and another on CDMA. I think that google is planning on selling two versions which will allow you to move around from certain companies depending on which version you buy, but you can't get any carrier.

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    Just because google sells an unlocked phone doesn't mean that a carrier will let you get service without a contract. If they can get the carriers on board with this then maybe this will work. This is essentially the same model that Apple used with the iphone, but the plans through AT&T were more expensive than getting a phone from them directly. I wouldn't count on this lowering your bill at all.

If you are able to get carriers to drop contracts there is still the problem of different carriers using different signals. You can't, for example, go from AT&T to Verizon with the same phone because one runs on GSM and another on CDMA. I think that google is planning on selling two versions which will allow you to move around from certain companies depending on which version you buy, but you can't get any carrier.

GSM bands go through a large range of carriers, i believe the main 2 that couldnt be used is us cellular and verizon, other than that, everything is fair game for that phone

i personally only buy unlocked phones, simply for the fact. If one company pisses me off, i switch. It also pushes the carriers to be more helpful. I once told at&t that i wanted to switch carriers because the service is horrible with my outdated sony ericsson, so to keep me in they gave me a free razr when it just came out a few months ago

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post

Verizon claims that they will allow open access to their network.

Who knows how well this will work, but it's a huge win for consumers if it forces a change in the marketplace to allow more open access.

The only real downside is that data plans will probably end up costing more for heavy data users (i.e. people with smartphones), but that's somewhat inevitable anyway, IMO.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Marc936 View Post
    GSM bands go through a large range of carriers, i believe the main 2 that couldnt be used is us cellular and verizon, other than that, everything is fair game for that phone

i personally only buy unlocked phones, simply for the fact. If one company pisses me off, i switch. It also pushes the carriers to be more helpful. I once told at&t that i wanted to switch carriers because the service is horrible with my outdated sony ericsson, so to keep me in they gave me a free razr when it just came out a few months ago
    There are only 2 "nationwide" GSM carriers in the US - AT&T and T-Mobile. Everyone else in the US is CDMA.

Cell phones in the US almost all operate on either (or combinations of) the 850, 900, 1900 or 2100 bands.

So you not only need a phone with the appropriate technology for the carrier you want to use (CDMA for Sprint, verizon, US Cellular etc, GSM for AT&T or T-Mobile), but also the appropriate band (1900 for T-Mobile, 850 and 1900 for AT&T, 1900 and 2100 for Sprint, 800 1900 and 2100 for Verizon).

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 999
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117

So if you want Verizon, Sprint, or USCellular then you get the CDMA version
    If you want AT&T or T-Mobile you get the GSM version

You are still going to be restricted into one of the two groups. Eventually, you'll just see a merger between the companies within each group and you'll be in the same situation that we have right now.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    There are only 2 "nationwide" GSM carriers in the US - AT&T and T-Mobile. Everyone else in the US is CDMA.

Cell phones in the US almost all operate on either (or combinations of) the 850, 900, 1900 or 2100 bands.

So you not only need a phone with the appropriate technology for the carrier you want to use (CDMA for Sprint, verizon, US Cellular etc, GSM for AT&T or T-Mobile), but also the appropriate band (1900 for T-Mobile, 850 and 1900 for AT&T, 1900 and 2100 for Sprint, 800 1900 and 2100 for Verizon).

almost all unlocked phones have all the bands for GSM carriers

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

almost all unlocked phones have all the bands for GSM carriers
    They all do.

What I'm saying is that there's a difference between an unlocked GSM phone and an unlocked CDMA phone. You can't take an unlocked CDMA phone to AT&T even if it has the same bands (and it does...all US phones have 1900, and most of them have 800/850 (technically the same) and 2100 as well.

CDMA is also a bit more tricky to switch between since there are somewhat carrier-specific modifications to networking. It's not quite as simple as swapping a SIM card, though there's no real reason it shouldn't be.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    They all do.

What I'm saying is that there's a difference between an unlocked GSM phone and an unlocked CDMA phone. You can't take an unlocked CDMA phone to AT&T even if it has the same bands (and it does...all US phones have 1900, and most of them have 800/850 (technically the same) and 2100 as well.

CDMA is also a bit more tricky to switch between since there are somewhat carrier-specific modifications to networking. It's not quite as simple as swapping a SIM card, though there's no real reason it shouldn't be.

ah ok, my mistake. I've only used GSM phones so i thought you were talking about that