Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Hate?

  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,843, Level: 72
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,792
    Points
    54,843
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 8

    Hate?

    I am relatively new to this but I've already noticed a trend. It seems a common response that some of you post to anyone that criticizes our coaching staff or our teams play goes something like this: "I know you hate McDermott and the team so just shut up."

    I am critical of our coaching staff and I have been critical of our team's play. However, that criticism is not rooted in hate. It is rooted in LOVE for my alma mater. I want the very best for her and will criticize anyone or anything that stands in the way of excellence for her.

    I think Coach McDermott is a good man and an honorable man.

    I also think he is a good example of the Peter Principle and has been promoted to his level of incompetence. I also sense that the level of expectations for our program have been lowered by fans, the administration, and coaching staff. Somehow not making the NCAA is the new normal and to be expected. Our goals for this program need to be more in line with these three.

    1. Iowa State should expect to be in the NCAA every year.
    2. NIT berths should be as disappointing to us as they would be to Kansas.
    3. We should compete for the Big 12 title every year.

    Those goals might seem lofty. All I know is when Lynn Nance was our coach we never dared even dream of such goals. We turned it around then and we can turn this around now.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 27,127, Level: 50
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,926
    Points
    27,127
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Hate?

    I don't know about hate, but there are some guys that just want to see Mac fired.

    I don't think expectations have been lowered and I think your expectations are nice, but not realistic.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 23,431, Level: 46
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Swanson10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,859
    Points
    23,431
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

    Re: Hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    I don't know about hate, but there are some guys that just want to see Mac fired.

    I don't think expectations have been lowered and I think your expectations are nice, but not realistic.
    What's not realistic about demanding we have a coach that can earn a winning record?


    NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 7,720, Level: 26
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    68
    Points
    7,720
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Hate?

    If we set goals to be in the NCAA every year, we should be competing for conference titles at times. So I see where he's coming from.

    I don't think those expectations are unrealistic. I wouldn't call an NIT bid a disspointment, but our program should be a bubble team on a consistent basis.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 27,127, Level: 50
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,926
    Points
    27,127
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson10 View Post
    What's not realistic about demanding we have a coach that can earn a winning record?
    KU and Texas can recruit such that every single year they will be in the big dance. None of the other Big 12 teams can.

    ISU isn't going to get McD's All Americans every year and has to spend time developing kids.

    Saying we will always make the big dance and we will look down on making the NIT just isn't happening; so it's not realistic.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 42,956, Level: 64
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,294
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,401
    Points
    42,956
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 29

    Re: Hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by HititHard View Post
    I am relatively new to this but I've already noticed a trend. It seems a common response that some of you post to anyone that criticizes our coaching staff or our teams play goes something like this: "I know you hate McDermott and the team so just shut up."

    I am critical of our coaching staff and I have been critical of our team's play. However, that criticism is not rooted in hate. It is rooted in LOVE for my alma mater. I want the very best for her and will criticize anyone or anything that stands in the way of excellence for her.

    I think Coach McDermott is a good man and an honorable man.

    I also think he is a good example of the Peter Principle and has been promoted to his level of incompetence. I also sense that the level of expectations for our program have been lowered by fans, the administration, and coaching staff. Somehow not making the NCAA is the new normal and to be expected. Our goals for this program need to be more in line with these three.

    1. Iowa State should expect to be in the NCAA every year.
    2. NIT berths should be as disappointing to us as they would be to Kansas.
    3. We should compete for the Big 12 title every year.

    Those goals might seem lofty. All I know is when Lynn Nance was our coach we never dared even dream of such goals. We turned it around then and we can turn this around now.
    Most can understand (maybe not agree with), but understand frustration after tough losses. When the same people are ******** up a storm after a 10 point win (which we easily controlled throughout), it's pretty annoying.


    I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 864,258, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,864
    Points
    864,258
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,809
    Given: 1,515

    Re: Hate?

    It's not the idea of criticizing, because we still have things we can do better. It's more that we've all caught on that certain posters only criticize the coach and players. Certain ones have made it clear that that's really the only reason they post.

    Wait until our next loss (and I think it's safe to assume that we end with more than 3 losses on the year), and just watch the posts. You'll know who these guys are.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,906, Level: 76
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    aauummm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the road again
    Posts
    3,698
    Points
    60,906
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 555

    Re: Hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    It's not the idea of criticizing, because we still have things we can do better. It's more that we've all caught on that certain posters only criticize the coach and players. Certain ones have made it clear that that's really the only reason they post.

    Wait until our next loss (and I think it's safe to assume that we end with more than 3 losses on the year), and just watch the posts. You'll know who these guys are.
    Yep, it's very evident. They are very consistent. And the "ignore" function is one way to deal with it.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 20,265, Level: 43
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    clone136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ames via Soux City
    Posts
    669
    Points
    20,265
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Hate?

    Its not hate and I am ok with some criticism, but some people question everything and live in the past so much its sickening. It seems as though we can't even enjoy a win anymore without people almost wanting us to lose because they HATE McD. We beat Iowa two days ago and people are mad because they would have done it differently. Or a team meeting is called to address some issues and people call the coach soft. No matter how much talent this team has they still have to learn to win, it takes time and I think we are on the way up...


    Eternal Optimist

  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    Saying we will always make the big dance and we will look down on making the NIT just isn't happening; so it's not realistic.
    Hogwash.

    I'm sure that there were people that would have given a small private school like Gonzaga University even longer odds of having a successful basketball program. Up until 2004 Gonzaga was playing in what was a glorified high school gym. Somehow though Gonzaga developed an obscure BB program into a team that tastes success on an annual basis.

    The high turnover of players that exit for the NBA, puts a premium on good coaching skills and gives schools that don't grab the McDonald All-Americans a chance to compete. Cohesive teams that play together for four years have done very well against the teams that have the one year and done superstars.


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  11. #11
    Publisher
    Points: 793,523, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,220
    Points
    793,523
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 824
    Given: 212

    Re: Hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Hogwash.

    I'm sure that there were people that would have given a small private school like Gonzaga University even longer odds of having a successful basketball program. Up until 2004 Gonzaga was playing in what was a glorified high school gym. Somehow though Gonzaga developed an obscure BB program into a team that tastes success on an annual basis.

    The high turnover of players that exit for the NBA, puts a premium on good coaching skills and gives schools that don't grab the McDonald All-Americans a chance to compete. Cohesive teams that play together for four years have done very well against the teams that have the one year and done superstars.
    Good point but would Gonzaga have developed like they did by playing a Big 12 schedule every single year?



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 12,974, Level: 34
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    fwiw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    388
    Points
    12,974
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

    Re: Hate?

    I sometimes wonder where the program would be if LE hadn't imploded. There's been a lot of mediocrity and lowered expectations since then.

    Even so, ISU fans WANT to believe and had higher expectations for this year. If we hang on against UNI and are more competitive against Cal we probably aren't having this conversation.

    Of course it's too early to panic, but I can understand why some people are frustrated. Let's see where things are at later in January.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Good point but would Gonzaga have developed like they did by playing a Big 12 schedule every single year?
    You don't have to win the Big 12 Conference to make the NCAA tournament.


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 864,258, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,864
    Points
    864,258
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,809
    Given: 1,515

    Re: Hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Good point but would Gonzaga have developed like they did by playing a Big 12 schedule every single year?
    You got your e-mail from the AD right away....

    I wondered that, myself. Their conference had to help in that sense, but they still had to take advantage of their opportunities when they had them.

    I look at MBB as the opportunity sport, where everyone has a chance, due to things like turnover, the 3-point line, differences in style, home court advantage, etc.

    At the same time, because of those same factors, it's hard to have that success every year. It's a sport with countless variables, so yes, we could be an every year team, or not, but there's always a chance.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Prospect
    Points: 7,720, Level: 26
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    68
    Points
    7,720
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Hate?

    For those of you who don't think ISU should be a consistent bubble team, why not? Look no further than Purdue or Marquette. Both are little brothers in their prospective states (Indiana and Wisconsin), both are in premier conferences, both are not schools that recruit McD AA's and both are going to contend for the NCAA on a consistent basis. Purdue will even be in the hunt for the Big Ten title this year.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM