Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 14

Re: Steelers staff likely to get changed this offseason

Play calling has been poor. Arians has not developed Ben. Ben cannot read a corner blitz, and he and the WRs are not on the same page to take advantage of reading coverages. Ben is overrated, and I am one of the biggest Steelers fans out there. Ben is not willing to throw the ball away and would rather take a sack. Holding the ball and shedding would be sackers has led to some big plays, but the number of sacks he takes is more detrimental.

Don't know how the Browns got to the edge in the running game last Thursday. Don't know if one person missed their gap assignment, or if outside containment wasn't getting upfield enough. Obviously, Polamalu not playing has been a big hit to the D, but Gay @ CB has not played well, and Tyrone Carter and other safeties have not played sound. Needless to say, the D has held up better than the offensive side, but we are used to the defense winning games when the offense sputters.

Special teams - yikes! A change needed to happen long before, or the special teams personnel needs upgrades.

There. My rant is done. Hopefully we add more to the nucleus of this team through the draft and a free agent pick up (or two). Kind of like what happened after winning with the Bus.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Let's see. How long has Cowher been gone....?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,531
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 132

Quote Originally Posted by BigLame View Post
    Play calling has been poor. Arians has not developed Ben. Ben cannot read a corner blitz, and he and the WRs are not on the same page to take advantage of reading coverages. Ben is overrated, and I am one of the biggest Steelers fans out there. Ben is not willing to throw the ball away and would rather take a sack. Holding the ball and shedding would be sackers has led to some big plays, but the number of sacks he takes is more detrimental.

Don't know how the Browns got to the edge in the running game last Thursday. Don't know if one person missed their gap assignment, or if outside containment wasn't getting upfield enough. Obviously, Polamalu not playing has been a big hit to the D, but Gay @ CB has not played well, and Tyrone Carter and other safeties have not played sound. Needless to say, the D has held up better than the offensive side, but we are used to the defense winning games when the offense sputters.

Special teams - yikes! A change needed to happen long before, or the special teams personnel needs upgrades.

There. My rant is done. Hopefully we add more to the nucleus of this team through the draft and a free agent pick up (or two). Kind of like what happened after winning with the Bus.
    Biggest need is a high-quality O lineman...and younger D lineman need to be brought in (partially addressed last year by drafting Ziggy Hood in the 1st round)!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What changes were made to the staff after the Super Bowl last year? I assume not all of the same coaches from that staff are there this year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A difficult thing for the NFL is that teams with poor records are rewarded in the following draft...so while the Steelers won't try and lose any games...now that we are out of the playoffs it would be beneficial to lose out! I know that won't happen...but it would put us in a better position in April!

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

+1000

Browns brought a corner blitz leaving a quick pass to the slot WR wide open and yet Ben never looked at him. How does an NFL QB not pick that up and make the simple throw. I use to be a big Ben fan but now I think he is terribly overrated and just not making the right reads

Play calling was pathetic the other night as well. 1st and 2nd down they run the ball for 9 yards. So you have a 3rd and 1 and you go to a shotgun pass?!?! Dumb!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    +1000

Browns brought a corner blitz leaving a quick pass to the slot WR wide open and yet Ben never looked at him. How does an NFL QB not pick that up and make the simple throw. I use to be a big Ben fan but now I think he is terribly overrated and just not making the right reads

Play calling was pathetic the other night as well. 1st and 2nd down they run the ball for 9 yards. So you have a 3rd and 1 and you go to a shotgun pass?!?! Dumb!
    I am still a Ben-believer...but I have always thought he was a drama-queen! Always claiming to be hurt (certainly at times he has been, other times...seems like excuses)! He needs a better O line in front of him for 1 thing...how that line got them a Super Bowl trophy I have no idea! Wait...yeah I do...DEFENSE!

Legend
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 441

If they don't draft a decent O-Lineman or at least pick up a quality free agent, I am going to be soooo ticked off. Ben is a pretty good QB (though I agree, slightly overrated) but he is going to end up retired in a few years with all the big hits he takes.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,431
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 16

IMO, if Tomlin didn't have that Super Bowl victory, he'd likely be out. Best thing for them is to keep him for another year or two

Addict
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 149

Kudos to you, a Steeler fan of all for saying this. I've been saying it for YEARS. I usually get nothing but stupid rebuttals about it, but that team has been stacked with talent for quite sometime now and all he has to do is not blow the game basically. If 50% of the QB's in the league took over the Steelers wouldn't be any worse, possibly better. and if you put Ben on a middle of the road or subpar team they would really suffer.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    I am still a Ben-believer...but I have always thought he was a drama-queen! Always claiming to be hurt (certainly at times he has been, other times...seems like excuses)! He needs a better O line in front of him for 1 thing...how that line got them a Super Bowl trophy I have no idea! Wait...yeah I do...DEFENSE!
    They need O-line help big time.

Ben is like Meyer was for ISU his Jr. and Sr. years. After a while, all the free shots on you results in you making mistakes you shouldn't.

That is not a knock on Meyer, he was a very good QB and gave his all for us. But the hits add up, no matter how tough you are.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 967
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

Ben gets sacked mostly b/c he holds onto the ball way too long.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mcblogerson View Post
    Ben gets sacked mostly b/c he holds onto the ball way too long.
    I thought that too...until the injuries to their OL recently. I do agree with you...some of the sacks are due to Ben extending the play. But lately he hasn't even had time to extend the play...the OL has been atrocious!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm not overly upset. Can't get around it, losing 5 in a row and to the drudges of the league - isn't a good thing.

But have to keep in mind that the team has had some key, key injuries. Polomalu is the heart and soul of the D. Without him EVERYTHING is different. Biggest X factor in the league. O line has been hurting, and not good to begin with. Kimeatu out, another lineman (name escapes me) is out for the season, Ward out, Aaron Smith out.

Ben is Ben. A QB you take have to take the bad with the good. Not as good, but not unlike Favre. He can make something spectacular happen one play, then kill you the next.

I agree that we need a line pick or signee. Special teams coach? Thanks for your time.

2 titles in the last 5 seaons. All is not lost. Hopefully they stick to the Rooney way and don't get crazy in the free agent market looking for the quick fix. For whatever reason, some people in the media think this might happen. Cripes, I head some guys talking about Larry Johnson getting signed by the Steelers a couple weeks back when he was released by the Chiefs - and I nearly crashed the car. And zero chance of Tomlin's seat even at room temp. Rooneys don't do that.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 12-15-2009 at 08:55 AM.