Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Amanda Zimmerman

    Does anyone know why Coach BF is all over Amanda? I watched the replay of the ISU - Iowa game last night and she can barely breathe before he rips her or pulls her out of a game. She took a wide open 3 point shot, which everyone has for the past 10 plus years and she gets yanked. She travelled on a position and she got yanked. She through a hard pass to a wing, didn't turn it over and got yanked. You can see BF storm up the bench on all 3 of these.

    She's only a freshman and will learn through battling failures. I just don't recall BF going this nuts on anyone for missing shots, having a turnover, etc. I would think she's afraid to do anything on the court for failure she will get pulled. We are going to need another big so I hope this was a 1 game exception.

    I believe Amanda also played with one of his top 2011 recruits. I'm sure they still talk and this can't look good for the recruit.

    We already had Arlen transfer last year, we don't need another big to leave after their freshman year.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,838, Level: 80
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,923
    Points
    67,838
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    He talked her up in the postgame. He said that Stuckey didn't score and Z didn't score, but without doing what they did in the game maybe we don't win.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 178,619, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,051
    Points
    178,619
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 0

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by Toby4ISU View Post
    Does anyone know why Coach BF is all over Amanda? I watched the replay of the ISU - Iowa game last night and she can barely breathe before he rips her or pulls her out of a game. She took a wide open 3 point shot, which everyone has for the past 10 plus years and she gets yanked. She travelled on a position and she got yanked. She through a hard pass to a wing, didn't turn it over and got yanked. You can see BF storm up the bench on all 3 of these.

    She's only a freshman and will learn through battling failures. I just don't recall BF going this nuts on anyone for missing shots, having a turnover, etc. I would think she's afraid to do anything on the court for failure she will get pulled. We are going to need another big so I hope this was a 1 game exception.

    I believe Amanda also played with one of his top 2011 recruits. I'm sure they still talk and this can't look good for the recruit.

    We already had Arlen transfer last year, we don't need another big to leave after their freshman year.
    Ohhhh, I don't know.... maybe because he wants her to be the best possible basketball player she can be? BF is a no nonsense kind of guy, that's for sure. But he makes these girls the best possible players they can be. He coddles nobody.

    If parents want their young daughters to be coddled and spoiled to death, then don't send them to ISU. If you want them to become the best, then send them to ISU. BF has high expectations for everyone in his program.



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    I thought she played hard and well, that's why I was surprised watching the replay that she got treated like that. I've not seen BF do that in the past on girls making mistakes.

    I'm a huge BF fan and 99% of the time agree when he jumps on the players but there were a couple times with Amanda that I didn't see why he got in such an uproar.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 134,688, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    joefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    6,483
    Points
    134,688
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 332

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    A lot of times coaches demand more out of their favorite players and those that they expect the most out of. I suspect that is what is happening here. I think BF has earned some patience here.


    "Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 82,624, Level: 89
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tigershoops31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    5,399
    Points
    82,624
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 58

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    I'm guessing it was probably something that they have discussed that she knows she was or was not supposed to do. For example, I've yanked players and chewed on them right after they made a 3 because they were the designated "get-back" person and the other team came down and scored a layup when they didn't sprint back after the shot. To the average fan they can't tell whose fault it was on the layup and I'm sure it looks like I'm upset over nothing, but when it's something simple like this that has been discussed previously and laid out clearly and it doesn't get done it's automatic that they're going to come out to talk about it. I would venture to guess it was something similar with Zimmerman...



    “I’m just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard,” Eustachy joked. “If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, he’ll be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.”

    http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 27,335, Level: 50
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyco2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    Points
    27,335
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by Toby4ISU View Post
    I thought she played hard and well, that's why I was surprised watching the replay that she got treated like that. I've not seen BF do that in the past on girls making mistakes.

    I'm a huge BF fan and 99% of the time agree when he jumps on the players but there were a couple times with Amanda that I didn't see why he got in such an uproar.
    If you haven't seen BF do that to other gals in the past, you probably haven't watched much ISU WBB. BF is intense, and singles out a couple of girls or two each year that he rides--usually the ones he sees with the most potential. I can remember him yelling at Tracy Gahan so much that I was nervous in the crowd. Some kids don't like it (see Arlen), but some take it for what it's worth and become great players (Gahan).

    Although, my wife thinks BF has gotten worse (not coaching, but with the yelling) in the past couple of years. I just think it is because we now have kids, and she looks at those things differently.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 16,612, Level: 39
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cdekovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,023
    Points
    16,612
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    That's the "Fennelly Way" and it has worked for years. It's a style that works for some but not for others as demonstrated by recent transfers. But look at the successes over the years...


    Hit it hard, every yard

  9. #9
    Prospect
    Points: 3,987, Level: 18
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    Points
    3,987
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    If you haven't seen coach fenn yell at girls in the past then you clearly haven't watched much womens basketball.. He used to yell at nikki weiben so much that I thought she was gonna cry a few times. As her carreer went on she learned to take it in stride. He does it because he loves those girls and expects alot out of them. With amanda growing up 5 mins from campus, I'm pretty sure she knew what to expect when she came to ISU...



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 24,751, Level: 48
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    isugcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waverly
    Posts
    1,603
    Points
    24,751
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 81

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    Riding a fine line (see mangino), but I totally agree with the 'no coddling' strategy. I think a good coach adjusts to the personality of the individual, however, as was said before, if the player has a misque for something that was reviewed I'd hope the coach would get all over their case. BF's results speak for itself.



  11. #11
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    I agree with other posters above, if you have not seen this before, you have not watched many games very closely. WW last year, Bolte the year before, so on and so forth.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,342, Level: 76
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    BoxsterCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,721
    Points
    61,342
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 484
    Given: 420

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by cyups View Post
    If you haven't seen coach fenn yell at girls in the past then you clearly haven't watched much womens basketball.. He used to yell at nikki weiben so much that I thought she was gonna cry a few times. As her carreer went on she learned to take it in stride. He does it because he loves those girls and expects alot out of them. With amanda growing up 5 mins from campus, I'm pretty sure she knew what to expect when she came to ISU...
    A couple of years ago I was at a gamewatch and let out an uncensored bleep word (I think it was an f-bomb). I did a quick apology to those around me. One of those at the table was an alumnae from one of Bill’s team. She told ne it was okay as long as I wasn’t grabbing her jersey and swearing AT her!




  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 117,660, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,417
    Points
    117,660
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 29

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    I think Bill rides the girls hard with the language, but I don't believe he degrades them. Mangino degraded his players along with swearing. There is a fine line.

    Some people can't handle it at all and transfer. Some people get angry and do better overall.

    Larry Estachy abosolutely rode Tinsley and Fizer hard during their Elite 8 run. Did anyone complain then or feel bad for them?? No.... Then again, they are part of the mens team. Turn it around to BF and the ladies team, and it's completely wrong in some of your eyes.

    Women want to be treated the same as men, they earn their scholarships just like the men. Then lets not create a double standard on how coaches coach and motivate their team.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 21,265, Level: 44
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,401
    Points
    21,265
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 31

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    A couple of years ago I was at a gamewatch and let out an uncensored bleep word (I think it was an f-bomb). I did a quick apology to those around me. One of those at the table was an alumnae from one of Bill’s team. She told ne it was okay as long as I wasn’t grabbing her jersey and swearing AT her!

    I guess I'm not getting your point. Did she reply that way because BF did, or did not grab jerseys and swear in her face. And if he did, and she didn't like it, I don't understand the smiley.



  15. #15
    Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Amanda Zimmerman

    I've seen plenty of games and have seen him yell. In fact, I thought they were always justified when the players weren't playing hard. I just don't remember him yelling and yanking players for taking a wide open 3 and throwing a pass to the wing on offense.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM