Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Amanda Zimmerman

Does anyone know why Coach BF is all over Amanda? I watched the replay of the ISU - Iowa game last night and she can barely breathe before he rips her or pulls her out of a game. She took a wide open 3 point shot, which everyone has for the past 10 plus years and she gets yanked. She travelled on a position and she got yanked. She through a hard pass to a wing, didn't turn it over and got yanked. You can see BF storm up the bench on all 3 of these.

She's only a freshman and will learn through battling failures. I just don't recall BF going this nuts on anyone for missing shots, having a turnover, etc. I would think she's afraid to do anything on the court for failure she will get pulled. We are going to need another big so I hope this was a 1 game exception.

I believe Amanda also played with one of his top 2011 recruits. I'm sure they still talk and this can't look good for the recruit.

We already had Arlen transfer last year, we don't need another big to leave after their freshman year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

Re: Amanda Zimmerman

He talked her up in the postgame. He said that Stuckey didn't score and Z didn't score, but without doing what they did in the game maybe we don't win.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303

Quote Originally Posted by Toby4ISU View Post
    Does anyone know why Coach BF is all over Amanda? I watched the replay of the ISU - Iowa game last night and she can barely breathe before he rips her or pulls her out of a game. She took a wide open 3 point shot, which everyone has for the past 10 plus years and she gets yanked. She travelled on a position and she got yanked. She through a hard pass to a wing, didn't turn it over and got yanked. You can see BF storm up the bench on all 3 of these.

She's only a freshman and will learn through battling failures. I just don't recall BF going this nuts on anyone for missing shots, having a turnover, etc. I would think she's afraid to do anything on the court for failure she will get pulled. We are going to need another big so I hope this was a 1 game exception.

I believe Amanda also played with one of his top 2011 recruits. I'm sure they still talk and this can't look good for the recruit.

We already had Arlen transfer last year, we don't need another big to leave after their freshman year.
    Ohhhh, I don't know.... maybe because he wants her to be the best possible basketball player she can be? BF is a no nonsense kind of guy, that's for sure. But he makes these girls the best possible players they can be. He coddles nobody.

If parents want their young daughters to be coddled and spoiled to death, then don't send them to ISU. If you want them to become the best, then send them to ISU. BF has high expectations for everyone in his program.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

I thought she played hard and well, that's why I was surprised watching the replay that she got treated like that. I've not seen BF do that in the past on girls making mistakes.

I'm a huge BF fan and 99% of the time agree when he jumps on the players but there were a couple times with Amanda that I didn't see why he got in such an uproar.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 332

A lot of times coaches demand more out of their favorite players and those that they expect the most out of. I suspect that is what is happening here. I think BF has earned some patience here.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 58

I'm guessing it was probably something that they have discussed that she knows she was or was not supposed to do. For example, I've yanked players and chewed on them right after they made a 3 because they were the designated "get-back" person and the other team came down and scored a layup when they didn't sprint back after the shot. To the average fan they can't tell whose fault it was on the layup and I'm sure it looks like I'm upset over nothing, but when it's something simple like this that has been discussed previously and laid out clearly and it doesn't get done it's automatic that they're going to come out to talk about it. I would venture to guess it was something similar with Zimmerman...

“I’m just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard,” Eustachy joked. “If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, he’ll be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.”

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Toby4ISU View Post
    I thought she played hard and well, that's why I was surprised watching the replay that she got treated like that. I've not seen BF do that in the past on girls making mistakes.

I'm a huge BF fan and 99% of the time agree when he jumps on the players but there were a couple times with Amanda that I didn't see why he got in such an uproar.
    If you haven't seen BF do that to other gals in the past, you probably haven't watched much ISU WBB. BF is intense, and singles out a couple of girls or two each year that he rides--usually the ones he sees with the most potential. I can remember him yelling at Tracy Gahan so much that I was nervous in the crowd. Some kids don't like it (see Arlen), but some take it for what it's worth and become great players (Gahan).

Although, my wife thinks BF has gotten worse (not coaching, but with the yelling) in the past couple of years. I just think it is because we now have kids, and she looks at those things differently.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

That's the "Fennelly Way" and it has worked for years. It's a style that works for some but not for others as demonstrated by recent transfers. But look at the successes over the years...

Hit it hard, every yard

Prospect
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

If you haven't seen coach fenn yell at girls in the past then you clearly haven't watched much womens basketball.. He used to yell at nikki weiben so much that I thought she was gonna cry a few times. As her carreer went on she learned to take it in stride. He does it because he loves those girls and expects alot out of them. With amanda growing up 5 mins from campus, I'm pretty sure she knew what to expect when she came to ISU...

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 81

Riding a fine line (see mangino), but I totally agree with the 'no coddling' strategy. I think a good coach adjusts to the personality of the individual, however, as was said before, if the player has a misque for something that was reviewed I'd hope the coach would get all over their case. BF's results speak for itself.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I agree with other posters above, if you have not seen this before, you have not watched many games very closely. WW last year, Bolte the year before, so on and so forth.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 484
    Given: 420

Quote Originally Posted by cyups View Post
    If you haven't seen coach fenn yell at girls in the past then you clearly haven't watched much womens basketball.. He used to yell at nikki weiben so much that I thought she was gonna cry a few times. As her carreer went on she learned to take it in stride. He does it because he loves those girls and expects alot out of them. With amanda growing up 5 mins from campus, I'm pretty sure she knew what to expect when she came to ISU...
    A couple of years ago I was at a gamewatch and let out an uncensored bleep word (I think it was an f-bomb). I did a quick apology to those around me. One of those at the table was an alumnae from one of Bill’s team. She told ne it was okay as long as I wasn’t grabbing her jersey and swearing AT her!

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 29

I think Bill rides the girls hard with the language, but I don't believe he degrades them. Mangino degraded his players along with swearing. There is a fine line.

Some people can't handle it at all and transfer. Some people get angry and do better overall.

Larry Estachy abosolutely rode Tinsley and Fizer hard during their Elite 8 run. Did anyone complain then or feel bad for them?? No.... Then again, they are part of the mens team. Turn it around to BF and the ladies team, and it's completely wrong in some of your eyes.

Women want to be treated the same as men, they earn their scholarships just like the men. Then lets not create a double standard on how coaches coach and motivate their team.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    A couple of years ago I was at a gamewatch and let out an uncensored bleep word (I think it was an f-bomb). I did a quick apology to those around me. One of those at the table was an alumnae from one of Bill’s team. She told ne it was okay as long as I wasn’t grabbing her jersey and swearing AT her!

I guess I'm not getting your point. Did she reply that way because BF did, or did not grab jerseys and swear in her face. And if he did, and she didn't like it, I don't understand the smiley.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

I've seen plenty of games and have seen him yell. In fact, I thought they were always justified when the players weren't playing hard. I just don't remember him yelling and yanking players for taking a wide open 3 and throwing a pass to the wing on offense.