Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

option in the nfl

I think it would be a good experiment. Most people would say that it doesn't work. But if your offensive line is good enough and with proper execution, anything can work.

The Giants have a really good Offensive Line so I think they would be a good fit for it. While Eli isn't an option QB they could run a formation like this:

Jacobs is the QB, and Manning is the flanker. Manning will always be sent in motion to keep them guessing and on plays when Jacobs runs the ball he will be used as a blocker. If they want to throw the ball Jacobs either pitches or hands off to Manning and then he throws.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Re: option in the nfl

Quote Originally Posted by AntiSnob View Post
    I think it would be a good experiment. Most people would say that it doesn't work. But if your offensive line is good enough and with proper execution, anything can work.

The Giants have a really good Offensive Line so I think they would be a good fit for it. While Eli isn't an option QB they could run a formation like this:

Jacobs is the QB, and Manning is the flanker. Manning will always be sent in motion to keep them guessing and on plays when Jacobs runs the ball he will be used as a blocker. If they want to throw the ball Jacobs either pitches or hands off to Manning and then he throws.

i dont see eli manning being able to block anyone for jacobs...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 15

Not gonna happen. Linebackers fly to the ball WAY too fast, and the point is to keep your QB from taking hits, not running him into them. Notice how the wildcat and knock offs aren't working. It doesn't take long for teams to figure gimmicky stuff out. The option will never work in the NFL.

And the Giants would be an AWFUL team for the option. The guy taking the snaps better be able to throw the ball, or the ends just keep contain and you have no pass offense. 99% of the quarterbacks who go through the option at lower levels can't throw to save their lives. That doesn't work in the NFL.

Last edited by IcSyU; 12-12-2009 at 01:50 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Notice how the wildcat and knock offs aren't working. It doesn't take long for teams to figure gimmicky stuff out.
    I disagree. The Dolphins won 10 games last year, and are in the playoff hunt again. The reason the wildcat doesn't work for a lot of teams is because they play it exactly like that, as a gimmick. The Dolphins run the Wildcat as a legit form of offense, and have produced results with it. Will it stay for the long term? Who knows. Every offense is a gimmick. Five wide, I form, wildcat, whatever. The whole point is to keep the defense from knowing what is happening, and the wildcat, if used with the right personnel, can do that.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    I disagree. The Dolphins won 10 games last year, and are in the playoff hunt again. The reason the wildcat doesn't work for a lot of teams is because they play it exactly like that, as a gimmick. The Dolphins run the Wildcat as a legit form of offense, and have produced results with it. Will it stay for the long term? Who knows. Every offense is a gimmick. Five wide, I form, wildcat, whatever. The whole point is to keep the defense from knowing what is happening, and the wildcat, if used with the right personnel, can do that.
    It isn't working even close to the same effectiveness it did. Teams now pack 8 into the box as soon as they see someone other than the QB back there and dare teams to try and beat them through the air.

And there's a huge difference between a base offense (I-form, 5 wide, shotgun, etc.) and wildcat.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    It isn't working even close to the same effectiveness it did. Teams now pack 8 into the box as soon as they see someone other than the QB back there and dare teams to try and beat them through the air.

And there's a huge difference between a base offense (I-form, 5 wide, shotgun, etc.) and wildcat.
    Is there really anything less gimmicky about a spread offense than a wildcat? I submit that there is not.

The Dolphins have won a couple games specifically because of the 8 man box strategy. If you have the right QB, I firmly believe that the Wildcat can be successful.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

By the way, I just looked this up, Miami is currently 12th in the NFL in points scored. Last season, when they went 11-5, they were 21st. It doesn't seem that their offense is struggling.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,078
    Given: 574

Your quarterback would be squashed like a bug by game 2, and the option wouldn't go any where.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 587
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I see your point, but the defenses are just way too fast, not just linebackers, but imagine Polamalu and Sanders getting a head of steam towards your QB....not good

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 77

There is way too much defensive speed to even consider running the option. Trust me, as a Bears fan I had to watch Kordell Stewart try to run it and it was an epic fail to put it lightly.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 13

I have pondered this debate for quite some time. I think the general consensus is that the QB would get injured too often for it to be effective, and defenses are way too fast.

Here is my arguement for that:

1. QB's don't run the ball in "option" football nearly as much as people think they do. Most of the time, it's fullback dive or handoff to the running back. If your QB carried the ball 12 times every game, he wouldn't be at that high of a risk of being injured. Keep in mind, a team who would utilize this offense would have to have a running/durable QB to begin with.

2. Defenses are always defending multiple options. The "option" is really the quadruple option. First, fullback dive, then QB keep, then pitch, or pass. that is 4 ways the option for the defense. there is no way- even fast linebackers can cover all of those. Don't you think Georgia tech faces realively faster defenses like florida state, clemson, miami, georgia..?

3. The option was designed to overcome a skill mismatch. In college, teams who were at a disadvatage talent wise could utilize multiple ball fakes and blocking angles to gain advantages on the defense. Why couldn't this be used in the nfl?

I just don't think it can totally be ruled out. It would be a unique challenge for any nfl team just because of the popular negative perspective of the offense. thoughts?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 27

Linebackers and ends are WAY too fast in the NFL. QB's would get killed. This is one of the reasons hardly anyone does it in college anymore, the game has passed the option by.

Speed kills the option.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    Wildcat is not working for Miami anymore as much.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 41

The NFL doesn't allow the roster space for the depth necessary to run the option.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Most teams are having success with a more traditional offense and have no incentive to attempt anything different. Miami had nothing to lose last season. They were coming off a 1-15 season where NOTHING worked.

Having a traditional QB prospect pan out is longshot enough. No one is going to take a chance on recruiting a one dimensional QB for a one dimensional offensive set and give it a whole hearted effort on every down. It will continue to show up a handful of times for a handful of teams against a handful of specific defenses.