Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    <span style="font-family:Arial"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Man Fired For Drinking Ethanol Fuel Denied Unemployment </span></span>

<span style="font-family:Times"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">DES MOINES, Iowa -- </span></span><span style="font-family:Times"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">A man who claimed discrimination after being fired from an ethanol plant for drinking "automobile fuel&#39;&#39; has been denied unemployment benefits. Cory Neddermeyer was dismissed by Amaizing Energy in April. The Denison-based company produces ethanol fuel for vehicles. </span></span>

<span style="font-family:Times"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">The formula that includes a high concentration of alcohol. According to Neddermeyer, he showed up for work on April 21 and saw that there had been a spill of fuel alcohol. The liquid, which was 190-proof, had not been blended with gasoline. </span></span>

<span style="font-family:Times"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Neddermayer, a recovering alcoholic, said he was curious about its effects and taste. He said he drank between two and three ounces. </span></span>

<span style="font-family:Times"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Records show that Neddermeyer was later found by co-workers in an incoherent state. He was taken to the hospital, where his blood-alcohol level, according to state records, was reported at 0.72. That&#39;s almost twice the level considered potentially fatal for many adults. </span></span>

URBCLONE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,373
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 99
    That is hilarious&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Where was this article? the rag

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3
    Note to self: drinking anything 190 proof is really bad for you.

www.drivethelane.com/bask - A great college basketball simulation. Give it a try, it's FREE, not to mention addicting.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyclonesrule91 &#064; 07&#045;11&#045;06 3&#58;21 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> That is hilarious&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Where was this article? the rag [/b][/quote]

Kcci.com. Man, can you say "drinking problem". First you have to go on hands and knees to lap up grain alcohol. Then your co-workers find you "incoherent" and you decide to go for unemployment benefits????

This guy should win some kind of Lifetime Achievement Award from Deace&#39;s Loser of the Week.

URBCLONE

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 177
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(URBCLONE &#064; 07&#045;11&#045;06 3&#58;27 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Kcci.com. Man, can you say "drinking problem". First you have to go on hands and knees to lap up grain alcohol. Then your co-workers find you "incoherent" and you decide to go for unemployment benefits????

This guy should win some kind of Lifetime Achievement Award from Deace&#39;s Loser of the Week.

[/b][/quote]

I have a problem believeing that his BAC was this high after just 2-3 ounces. He had to have alot more then that, or came into work already trashed.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    super funny but yet oh so sad

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goonies_89 &#064; 07&#045;11&#045;06 3&#58;37 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> super funny but yet oh so sad [/b][/quote]

Totally agree. Stupid, sad, and hilarious all in one.

URBCLONE

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    This kinda pisses me off&#33; I asked them not to reveal my name&#33;

God Bless America

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1
    [quote name=&#39;chuckd4735&#39; date=&#39;07-11-06 3:32 pm&#39; post=&#39;13609&#39;]
    I have a problem believeing that his BAC was this high after just 2-3 ounces. He had to have alot more then that, or came into work already trashed. /quote]

There was a slightly longer version in the paper I read. It mentioned that the guy said he had just a few ounces, but also mentioned thay found a couple empty bottles with traces of alcohol in the bottom.

They could have some great garbage can punch parties at that factory. Would give new definition to FACing.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Yeah, Everclear is 180 proof (I think). If anyone could approach .7 BAC from just a few shots, it definitely wouldn&#39;t be legal. Maybe a fifth of Everclear could get you to .7, I don&#39;t know.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    This story actually made a morning radio show down here in Phoenix. They have a daily story called the "Freak du Jour" and this guy won for today. They read quote from the guy where he said he drank 2 or 3 ounces and the next thing he remembers is waking up in the hospital. I nearly drove off the road laughing.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    The Register went into more details:
    Man fired for getting gassed on spilled ethanol at work</h1>
    CLARKKAUFFMAN
    REGISTER STAFF WRITER

An Iowa judge has denied unemployment benefits to a man who claimed discrimination after being fired from an ethanol plant for drinking "automobile fuel" produced by the company.

Cory Neddermeyer, 42, was fired in April from Amaizing Energy in Denison, where he worked as a maintenance technician. The company produces ethanol fuel for vehicles in a formula that includes a high concentration of alcohol.

Neddermeyer was fired after an April 21 incident at the Denison plant. According to Neddermeyer, he showed up for work that morning and saw that there had been a spill of fuel alcohol. Hundreds of gallons of 190-proof alcohol were contained in a 6-inch-deep holding pond that was about 30 feet by 24 feet.

It proved to be too much to resist, Neddermeyer said.

"I am a recovering alcoholic, and I thought about the availability of this alcohol throughout the day," he wrote in a statement later provided to state officials. "Curious about the taste and its effects, I dipped into this lake of liquor and drank what I considered to be 2 to 3 ounces. The next thing I remember is waking up in Crawford County Memorial Hospital."

Neddermeyer had been found by his co-workers in an incoherent state, unable to say his name or the day of the week.

He was taken to a hospital, where his blood-alcohol level, according to state records, was reported at 0.72 - nine times the legal limit for driving, and almost double the level that is considered potentially fatal for many adults.

He was briefly hospitalized for acute alcohol intoxication, during which time his employer searched his work area and allegedly found three empty pop bottles that contained trace amounts of the fuel.

At a subsequent state hearing on Neddermeyer&#39;s request for unemployment benefits, plant manager Jeff Bruck expressed shock at Neddermeyer&#39;s actions.

"This is a fuel alcohol," Bruck testified. "This is an explosive product."

The liquid had not been blended with gasoline.

At the hearing, Administrative Law Judge Teresa Hillary asked Neddermeyer, "Why would you drink fuel?"

"I don&#39;t have a good explanation for that," he replied. "Curiosity?"

Neddermeyer argued that his employer shared in the responsibility for the incident because the spill at the plant provided an "opportunity" for him to drink.

He also argued that Amaizing Energy was discriminating against him due to his "disease of alcoholism."

He asked Hillary whether the protections afforded him under the Americans with Disabilities Act could be applied to his request for unemployment benefits.

"The fact that you&#39;re an alcoholic does not excuse your behavior," Hillary replied. "You&#39;re not allowed to come into an unemployment hearing and say, &#39;I&#39;m an alcoholic so I don&#39;t have to live with the misconduct standards.&#39; "

Hillary denied the request for benefits, saying Neddermeyer had committed job-related misconduct that could have resulted in his death.

"The employer has a right to expect employees not to drink the fuel," Hillary ruled. "Just because some of the ethanol leaked onto the floor is not a good reason for the claimant to drink automobile fuel."

Court records indicate Neddermeyer has twice been convicted of driving while intoxicated.

Neddermeyer said Thursday that he has been struggling with alcohol for at least 10 years and is now getting additional help.

"Things were going pretty well until that day at work," he said.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs...=73250371260775

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard