Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 10

Re: Regents Approve $100 Tuition Surcharge

Im glad im done with ISU bending me over after this term, this is STUPID

@TedFlintKansas

Men want to have fun, women want to take fun out to the middle of the woods and shoot it in the head.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,894
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by 2forISU View Post
    No, don't raise taxes on the people of Iowa.
    but don't make any cuts either. or just make the cuts in the areas I want cuts in. RIGHT.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    I think the point was they shouldn't be in a position to need to do either.
    Yeah, in a perfect world you would be right.

But everybody is in this position right now. We are in the midst of an enormous correction in our economy and it is hitting state govt's hard.

Don't expect it to get better anytime soon. The booming economy was based on people spending well beyond their means, living on debt. That has been going on for a couple decades. Wages did not raise for middle class Americans in the early 2000s, but necessary expenses (energy, health care, housing, food) went up steeply (and a whole lot of people racked up debt on unneccessary things as well). The economy kept humming along while people racked up debt. More spending than people could afford to repay kept it going awhile, but it had to end sometime. It won't get better quickly as people now are making less money and have less credit to use.

Good news for Iowans is it is better in Iowa than most places.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    but don't make any cuts either. or just make the cuts in the areas I want cuts in. RIGHT.
    $100 dollars here $100 dollars there...I don't understand how anybody thinks this is a good idea. We all know it's not going to be one time charge. Sorry, college kids you have to pay the piper Uncle Sam can't run a state without more money.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Is the fee for the new rec center going to get added on here soon too? Wasn't that something close to $125 a semester?

Tax revenues went down, budget deficits went up, cuts had to be made. I personally think it makes more sense to have the consumer (students) pay for the shortfall than the taxpayers (me).

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by maui6651 View Post
    Is the fee for the new rec center going to get added on here soon too? Wasn't that something close to $125 a semester?

Tax revenues went down, budget deficits went up, cuts had to be made. I personally think it makes more sense to have the consumer (students) pay for the shortfall than the taxpayers (me).
    The rec fee will be added when it opens. Right now $20 was added for construction at Leid. I don't remember what the total was, since I was heavily involved with this, but the bids for the construction were below the 32 million they thought it would cost. I'm not sure but how much but they said in the end they would save 2 million. I think the bids were in the 28 million range. They are not sure what they are going to do with the extra money though as they are going to hold on to it until construction is done in case material costs increase.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,467
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 14

I don't feel that college students should be the ones making up for the 10% loss nor, do I think the people of Iowa should be the ones making up for the loss.
    Uhhh.......... Maybe we should ask Santa for some money in our stocking.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Uhhh.......... Maybe we should ask Santa for some money in our stocking.
    Maybe...let me guess you want a hand out too.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Maybe...let me guess you want a hand out too.
    Doubtful, probably just wants to know where you think they can get the money? Or maybe some ways to solve the problem? I mean you do seem soo smart about it.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 23

It may be hard for some to believe, but Iowa is one of the best run states in the country. When you have lived around the country as much as I have, you come to appreciate and miss it. Just the other day, I was meeting with some academic dept. chairs in the University of Wisconsin system who were saying how much they wish Wisconsin was run like Iowa. That Iowa elects and hires educated people, where WI and IL are controlled by union politics, where people have no understanding of the value of education.

I'm all for keeping tuition low, but as a student, I would much rather pay a $100 surcharge then see my academic program cut, a favorite teacher let go, or access to facilities and resources cut.

Many younglings on this board may not understand this economic time, but it is very similar to the late 70s and early 80s that many of us have lived through. You have to make tough choices and decisions, and there are a lot of gov't people who are working 70 plus hours and losing sleep over the life altering decisions they are making. Give'm a break.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by maui6651 View Post

The students are the ones already getting ripped off the worst with the ridiculous tuition increases each year. Taxpayers should be helping pay for it when they're supposed to be paying for it anyways. A lot of people forget taxpayers and students overlap a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SCNCY View Post
    The rec fee will be added when it opens. Right now $20 was added for construction at Leid. I don't remember what the total was, since I was heavily involved with this, but the bids for the construction were below the 32 million they thought it would cost. I'm not sure but how much but they said in the end they would save 2 million. I think the bids were in the 28 million range. They are not sure what they are going to do with the extra money though as they are going to hold on to it until construction is done in case material costs increase.
    Rec fee has already started. It just skyrockets in 2011 when the stuff opens. And I'da sworn the project was a lot more than $30 million. I thought it was something like $50 million.

The total project budget is estimated to be $52.8 million, and it's expected to be completed in Fall 2011.
    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~saff/...s.php?id=about

Student fees will fund the recreation renovation project. Fees would be assessed in a phased progression. Once the renovation and construction begin, student fees for this phase of the project would be $20 per semester for the first two years. In year three of the project, student fees would increase to the full amount of $107 per semester. As is the case at almost all state-supported universities, nonacademic facilities at ISU are funded by student fees.

Last edited by IcSyU; 12-10-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    It's not an issue of Iowa State being unable to budget their money correctly. The issue is that the state legislature has chosen to reduce every year the amount of state appropriations that go to Iowa State. It's to the point where Iowa State receives less than half of his budget from state appropriations (they received almost 75% of their budget from state appropriations several years ago). This year, the state chose to reduce their appropriation in the MIDDLE of the year (i.e., the state had already given the money to Iowa State and is now requiring that 10% be given back).

So if you're frustrated about this, you should contact your legislator.
    You can blame your legislators I will agree with that....to a point. But you can't talk about a public university and not think about how much WASTE of money is being spent across the board. What is the average salary for professors currently? Across the board average salaries for professors, tenured, non-tenured, whatever. I bet you'll find the are making FAR more than educators in the private sector or any other hard working people in the private sector. Professors have TA's, and easy summers, and loose schedules.

I believe Ray Stantz said it best in Ghostbusters when being kicked out of their university....

"Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

As I said earlier, tenure is the devil.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    As I said earlier, tenure is the devil.
    I agree.

Tuition is going to get so high here that people will find it easier to either:
    A) not go to college and get a 2-year degree (money is the same most of the time...)
    B) go out of state because they would rather see a better education for bit more money

Never tax the educated or the wealthy. They are the backbone and the workhorse of your country.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by jpete24 View Post
    You can blame your legislators I will agree with that....to a point. But you can't talk about a public university and not think about how much WASTE of money is being spent across the board. What is the average salary for professors currently? Across the board average salaries for professors, tenured, non-tenured, whatever. I bet you'll find the are making FAR more than educators in the private sector or any other hard working people in the private sector. Professors have TA's, and easy summers, and loose schedules.

I believe Ray Stantz said it best in Ghostbusters when being kicked out of their university....

"Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*."
    Whatever, most tenured profs. are expected to produce --- books. One a year or more. Yes, let's cut the salary of professors at ISU, then we can watch the academic standards and rankings go by the wayside. You want the best academic programs, then the name professors and top researchers go where the money is.