Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Satellite Radio

Am looking into getting my wife a satellite radio for Christmas. Walmart has a radio for $60. Anybody have one of these? My wife's car does not have satellite radio, so I'm wondering how cumbersome it would be to use an aftermarket radio. Do you plug the radio into the power outlet in the car and set the radio on the seat or dash? We would also want to use it in the house and it looks like you have to buy accessories to do this. Can it be plugged into a pc through a usb cable, or do you just plug it into a wall outlet (guess you would need some sort of speaker system, I assume there is no internal speaker).
    Little help please!

GO CYCLONES!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

Re: Satellite Radio

I looked into buying an aftermarket for my car, but every time I studied them I left empty handed. I guess I'm spoiled, but I really like have volume control and ability to change stations right on my steering wheel. There is no way to do that with an aftermarket model. A pal has one and it's set up in his glove box, which sounded like a pain to me (besides my glove box is full of crap). The pal also said that the reception can be a little wonky because you run it through an unused radio station. I can't comment on that since I've not personally toyed with it.

I don't know if you consider it lucky or not, by that car croaked and when I bought my new-used car, I made sure satellite radio was factory installed. :)

** Post purchase I figured out that while I was told by a certain Nissan dealership in Des Moines that the car had satellite radio, it didn't. There was a button on the radio face - no receiver. After much glaring and silence in the salesman's office, the receiver was installed by the dealership. Of course, before I made them install it, they recommended I just buy an aftermarket satellite receiver and install it in my glove box. I seriously contemplating strangling sthat freaking salesman.

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 102

Have had Sirius for 4 years now and love it. If you get a plug and play, you will need both a car dock and home dock to listen to it at home. Also, if the car does not have an aux input on the radio you will have to rely on the FM transmitter that comes with the car dock which can be very frustrating to get to work good.

I haven't done a real installation for mine, the antenna for the radio is on my dash and I have a suction cup radio dock that is on my window similar to a GPS or radar detector. Only issue has been I have had 2 antennas "wear out" from moving between vehicle to vehicle.

The FM transmitter is vital for in-home listening if you do not intend to hook it up to a stereo receiver or have a MP3 player radio to plug into the aux input in. You can buy a Sirius Boombox for the plug and play unit that acts just like a regular boombox as well. Your signal indoors may be difficult to get if you don't have an external antenna. I have to play around with location when I move it from room to room, but it is so worth it! www.sirius.com may have even better deals with subscriptions, also, www.digitalradiocentral.com is a great message board forum to get feed back on the different radios and XM and Sirius services. I prefer Sirius because they have ISU games on vs. XM, otherwise, there is very little difference anymore since they own both Sirius and XM now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 68

Many models of Xm radio automatically transmit on vacant Fm radio channel. All you do is read instructions, plug in antenna and power cord and select which Fm frequency you will use 88.1 or 88.3 are usually best, maybe in DM you might need 107.1 or higher I mounted magnetic antenna on middle of the car hood on one car, if yours is aluminum, use side pillar and snake wire under the dash over to the radio. Usually has a clip on mount you can wedge in ash tray or different mount to hook on AC vent so you can easily see radio.

I love Xm radio, have in all my autos and a portable unit as well.

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by majorcyfan View Post
    Many models of Xm radio automatically transmit on vacant Fm radio channel. All you do is read instructions, plug in antenna and power cord and select which Fm frequency you will use 88.1 or 88.3 are usually best, maybe in DM you might need 107.1 or higher I mounted magnetic antenna on middle of the car hood on one car, if yours is aluminum, use side pillar and snake wire under the dash over to the radio. Usually has a clip on mount you can wedge in ash tray or different mount to hook on AC vent so you can easily see radio.

I love Xm radio, have in all my autos and a portable unit as well.

My wife would never go for magnetically mounting an antenna on the outside of her car. We would probably use it mostly in the house anyway. I saw some on Amazon that looked like a rectangular box-would that be better for in home use?

GO CYCLONES!!!