Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 27

Rebounding

Is it just me or do we show little to no presence on the glass.....it seems like the shot is put up and all 5 guys bolt down the court before the ball rattles off the rim and hits the floor? It just seemed like too many times that UNI had uncontested rebounds after an ISU miss...I don't ever remember this happening with players like Homan, Vroman, Fizer, Cato and so on, where they'd just not even contest for an offensive board...

Last edited by bostrem00; 12-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 605

Re: Rebounding

Wow....

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Its coaching......coach not getting to these players and getting the hammer down

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

I believe this has been touched on in one or a bunch of the many post game threads but yes there are many times we only have 1 or 2 guys hitting the boards and everybody else is sprinting down the court. Doesn't matter if it's when we are on offense or defense, happens on both ends. I think defensively we should have 5 guys hitting the glass but think our emphasis on transition gets the guys out before a rebound is secured.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

My problem with rebounding is on the defensive end. We cannot let the other team get those offensive rebounds. We need to box out and show some physical play to get those defensive rebounds. I don't care how many offensive rebounds we get, but the defensive ones we need to get 95% of the time (5% for the unlucky ones that hit the back iron and bounce to the 3 point line)

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 26

If we don't make teams pay for offensive rebounding via fast break and transition scoring opportunities, every team is going to crash the offensive boards with five players. We haven't shown we can do that against quality competition.

"It's just another gym" -- Jamaal Tinsley, on playing at Phog Allen Fieldhouse

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by bostrem00 View Post
    Is it just me or do we show little to no presence on the glass.....it seems like the shot is put up and all 5 guys bolt down the court before the ball rattles off the rim and hits the floor? It just seemed like too many times that UNI had uncontested rebounds after an ISU miss...I don't ever remember this happening with players like Homan, Vroman, Fizer, Cato and so on, where they'd just not even contest for an offensive board...

it depends if you base an opinion on just the last two games or the entire tenure under McDermott. For this season we are 4th in the Big12 in defensive rebound %. Last year we were first in the league for defensive rebound % and the prior two years ranked 4th and 5th for total number of defensive rebounds.

I do agree though, we have given up too many offensive rebounds at the wrong time this year in our losses and even in some of our wins. This is what is maddening, the previous three years we have done very well in finishing off the the defensive possession by grabbing the rebound. So we know it is an emphasis for McDermott, why the guys aren't executing that fundamental as well yet this year is puzzling. History would suggest it will be fixed.

Now we haven't ranked so well under Mac for rebound margin in the previous three years, but that is because we lacked severely in offensive rebounds. Because of our lack of offense-ranking towards the bottom in shooting, the premium was placed on getting back and preventing the cheap baskets, as we didn't have the offensive firepower to keep up. That has changed this year with natural rebounders like Gilstrap and Dendy to go along with Brackins and Boozer crashing the offensive glass more. Mac also felt we have more offense this year to be able to uptempo the game more.