Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Monkeybrow's recent "Off-Topic" movie review post got me to thinking – do ISU sports and the cinema have to be unrelated? Is what we see on the screen really so different than what we see, say, on the football field? Both can put you on the edge of a seat or rip your heart in half. So, in the spirit of mixed metaphors and media hype, I present ISU's 2006-07 Football Season: Blockbuster or Bankrupter?

Superman Returns (10-12 wins) – Nearly invincible. Sure, we had our kryptonite (road games at Texas and Oklahoma) and our showdown with Lex Luthor (Sept. 19th), but we came out of it none the worse for wear. The quiet, unassuming State college doesn't find a phone booth to change into superhero form – it finds a football field. McCarney saves the day – and his job, for many more years.
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (7-9 wins) – By all rights a quality movie. Not the best season we could have sailed through, but it certainly got people coming to see it in droves. Even though we sprung a leak here or there, we're good enough to warrant a sequel (i.e., solid bowl game/contract extension).
    X-Men 3: The Last Stand (4-6 wins) – Good, but certainly not great. Expectations fell short once again. We had some great battles, but took some unexpected losses along the way. The subtitle of the film may turn out to be unfortunately poetic for the coaching staff.
    Clerks II (0-3 wins) – Laugh out loud funny by the time it ends. There are definitely highlights, but for the most part, we end up looking like a couple stoners in the parking lot. After some games, Dan(te) McCarney can be heard uttering "I'm not even supposed to be here today."

So which one will it be? Just curious on y'alls thoughts. Feel free to elaborate on a separate sheet of paper…

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239
    Hmmm, not a bad way to put it.

I'd say we'll fall under the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (7-9 wins) category. Lets hope it's the 9 wins also, I'd be pleased with that.

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ISUFan22 &#064; 07&#045;11&#045;06 9&#58;00 am) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Hmmm, not a bad way to put it.

I&#39;d say we&#39;ll fall under the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man&#39;s Chest (7-9 wins) category. Lets hope it&#39;s the 9 wins also, I&#39;d be pleased with that. [/b][/quote]

I tend to agree with this sentiment...

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 21
    I expect Pirates but I am hoping for Superman.

a dream would be Aquaman on Entourage and going 14-0 and a National title.

Quote from Vince Chase

"We just took down spidy let&#39;s go get some toys."

Kyle S. Flander

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Whats so bad about X-men 3???That movie was great&#33;

God Bless America

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    perhaps the Hawks will turn out to be this year&#39;s blockbuster "Godzilla". jeez....that was an abomination.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Oh, and side note, none of the above movie parallels are meant to be personal reviews (clone33, i agree, i liked X-Men 3, although Juggernaut was never a mutant - ahem, excuse, the comic book nerd in me coming out there). After all, Clerks II isn&#39;t even out yet. Just trying to find some related possibilities we might - or might not - look forward to this season. We&#39;re talking plot lines, criticisms, ticket sales. Maybe there are some other correllations - You, Me, & Stevee, the story of Stevie Hicks rejoining his old friends, the football team, after some time apart; Nacho Zebra, a comedy about a referee needing to resort to a secret life of mask-wearing after several bad calls.

Take it, make it your child.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(monkeybrow &#064; 07&#045;11&#045;06 11&#58;36 am) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> perhaps the Hawks will turn out to be this year&#39;s blockbuster "Godzilla". jeez....that was an abomination. [/b][/quote]

All sfx, no story. A season that turns out to be a remake too many. I like.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cojo &#064; 07&#045;11&#045;06 12&#58;50 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Nacho Zebra, a comedy about a referee needing to resort to a secret life of mask-wearing after several bad calls.
    [/b][/quote]

That could seriously be a hit movie, that plot of course.

Adam Sander/Will Farrel/Jack Black/Steve Carell/etc - one of those as the referee. I think I&#39;d take Steve Carell just because he could look like a ref the most and play the "dumb ref" part to the hilt.

Martin Lawrence is one of the main football players out to get him, star player of a team that lost a Super Bowl due to Carell&#39;s bad call. Lawrence goes completely crazy, placing death threats toward Carell - causing him to seek help and hide from Lawrence. The girlfriend of Lawrence, having dumped him for losing the big game, somehow find herself in an awkward romance with Carell - furthering Lawrence&#39;s rage.

Cameos such as Bradshaw, LT, Ditka, the Cowboy cheerleaders and more make this film a hit&#33;

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 116
    I would agree that the Cyclones will match the Pirates movie and hope it is closer to 9 wins than 7. I think we are going to surprise some people this year...

As for EIU, I am not a huge movie buff, but I think correlating their season would be the kind of movie where a movie has been made with some huge stars cast( big stars in their own eyes that its), all kinds of media attention trying to build a lot of hype into the film and of course sparing no coin in the making. Then as the opening date approaches, there are a few screenings and reviews from movie watchers is that it was way overhyped and was not worth their time spent to see it. As a result, releasing the movie on the big screen is cancelled and the filmmakers resort to making the movie into a DVD in a futile attempt to recupe their costs by selling the movie in the back aisles of second rate movie chains.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyclonesrule91 &#064; 07&#045;11&#045;06 1&#58;10 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> I would agree that the Cyclones will match the Pirates movie and hope it is closer to 9 wins than 7. I think we are going to surprise some people this year...

As for EIU, I am not a huge movie buff, but I think correlating their season would be the kind of movie where a movie has been made with some huge stars cast( big stars in their own eyes that its), all kinds of media attention trying to build a lot of hype into the film and of course sparing no coin in the making. Then as the opening date approaches, there are a few screenings and reviews from movie watchers is that it was way overhyped and was not worth their time spent to see it. As a result, releasing the movie on the big screen is cancelled and the filmmakers resort to making the movie into a DVD in a futile attempt to recupe their costs by selling the movie in the back aisles of second rate movie chains. [/b][/quote]

Definately a Tom Cruise film.

God Bless America

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 116
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone33 &#064; 07&#045;11&#045;06 1&#58;36 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Definately a Tom Cruise film.

[/b][/quote]

Boy do we agree on him. As far as I&#39;m concerned, he hasn&#39;t done a movie worth crap since Days of Thunder. He had some good movies before but none since.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    I believe the season will turn out like the movie the goonies

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Superman Returns was one of the worst movies I have seen in recent years. So long and boring.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyclonesrule91 &#064; 07&#045;11&#045;06 1&#58;47 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Boy do we agree on him. As far as I&#39;m concerned, he hasn&#39;t done a movie worth crap since Days of Thunder. He had some good movies before but none since.

[/b][/quote]

Top Gun is a classic and Jerry McQuire wasnt bad but other than those his movies blow.

God Bless America