Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

A few things about KU

Now that Mangino's gone, i'm only afraid that KU brings in someone better:

Possible Coaching replacements:
    Gus Malzahn - could already be sick of Chizik.
    Randy Edsall - KU AD hired Edsall at UConn so natural connection and comfort level.Will Muschamp - How long will Mack stick around?
    Phillip Fulmer - Could do really well at KU in my mind.
    Skip Holtz - East Carolina HC could covet this job....not sure if he's ready for it or not, EC has not been overpowering of late.
    Tommy Tuberville - Another coach who got a raw deal - his OC is important!!!
    John Harbaugh - he may want to get back to the midwest and get away from Stanfords academic requirements!!!!Turner Gil - don't think so, not after the year they've had and the fact he's on record as saying he would rather not coach in the Big 12 North division unless it was at UN.
    Kevin Sumlin - Has turned Houston into a serious winner, perfect offense for the Big 12.

Commitments we would love to steal:
    Jaqwaylin Arps - DE
    Jaqwaylin Arps - Yahoo! Sports

Geneo Grissom - DE
    Geneo Grissom - Yahoo! Sports

Dave Clark - JUCO DB
    Dave Clark - Yahoo! Sports

Wonder if any of these three guys might be inclined to transfer, because they were all seriously considering ISU before choosing KU - especially Beshears who was an ISU commit at one time:
    Kevin Young - DE, DJ Beshears - WR, DJ Marshall - DE

Now lastly the coaches....
    This is nothing against any of our coaches, i like all of them. But, when a top tier guy becomes available, do you go out and improve your staff, or stay with your guy? To me, as a coach, your going to have staff leave for advancements or other reasons, and you might have to let coaches go that may not be getting the job done. I thought of our team, the WR definitely underachieved the most this year.
    David Beaty - WR Coach at Rice with Herman and at KU. The Wide Receivers at KU have been beastly the past couple of years under Beaty. Plus he is very connected with the recruiting circuit in texas and he's an excellent recruiter just look at the number of quality commitments he has received over the past three years.

Coaching changes suck for both the players and the coaches, but, there is talent out there and their loss could be our gain!!!!!

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 12-04-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Re: A few things about KU

KU is on their way back to the bottom of the North. I have no fear of them being competitive anytime soon.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 317

If a current assistant coach is underperforming it is the head coach's obligation to address it. Ultimately it's his program.

Legend
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Randy Edsall - KU AD hired Edsall at UConn so natural connection and comfort level.Will Muschamp - How long will Mack stick around?
    Skip Holtz - East Carolina HC could covet this job....not sure if he's ready for it or not, EC has not been overpowering of late.
    John Harbaugh - he may want to get back to the midwest and get away from Stanfords academic requirements!!!!Turner Gil - don't think so, not after the year they've had and the fact he's on record as saying he would rather not coach in the Big 12 North division unless it was at UN.
    Kevin Sumlin - Has turned Houston into a serious winner, perfect offense for the Big 12.
    Commitments we would love to steal:
    Jaqwaylin Arps - DE
    Jaqwaylin Arps - Yahoo! Sports
    Geneo Grissom - DE
    Geneo Grissom - Yahoo! Sports
    Dave Clark - JUCO DB
    Dave Clark - Yahoo! Sports
    Wonder if any of these three guys might be inclined to transfer, because they were all seriously considering ISU before choosing KU - especially Beshears who was an ISU commit at one time:
    Kevin Young - DE, DJ Beshears - WR, DJ Marshall - DE
    Now lastly the coaches....
    This is nothing against any of our coaches, i like all of them. But, when a top tier guy becomes available, do you go out and improve your staff, or stay with your guy? To me, as a coach, your going to have staff leave for advancements or other reasons, and you might have to let coaches go that may not be getting the job done. I thought of our team, the WR definitely underachieved the most this year.
    David Beaty - WR Coach at Rice with Herman and at KU. The Wide Receivers at KU have been beastly the past couple of years under Beaty. Plus he is very connected with the recruiting circuit in texas and he's an excellent recruiter just look at the number of quality commitments he has received over the past three years.

Coaching changes suck for both the players and the coaches, but, there is talent out there and their loss could be our gain!!!!!
    Nice post. Lots of good info. Here are my opinions:
    Malzahn - I don't think he will be a great HC for some reason. If it hurts both KU and Chizik, then I hope KU goes after him.
    Edsall - I think he is the frontrunner. A lot of guys might turn KU down, but I would think he would say yes. His lack of Big12 recruiting ties will hurt him.
    Muschamp - No way he gives up teh best arguably the best job in the country to possibly struggle at KU. He is basically being paid HC money now at 900K.
    Fullmer - Almost 60, and he had trouble winning with some of the best talent and tons of money at Tenn. Bad fit for KU I think.
    Skip Holtz - I would think he is holding out for an ACC or SEC job inthe future. As Lou's son, he might have a shot at ND (especially if a lot of coaches turn them down.)
    Tubberville - Not sure how he would fit. Known as kind of a jerk and might not be open to a step down in position prestige. No ties that I know of to B12 or Midwest.
    Harbaugh - I honestly think that he likes the higher academic standards. He ripped Michigan about their poor standards in the past. I think Stanford, even though they may not pay better than KU, is a better place to wait it out for a much better job. I think he might have a shot at ND.
    Gill - I too think he would not be happy trying to beat NU yearly. He's a possibility though and would be a good choice if he wants it.
    Sumlin - WOuld be a great choice. He would be smart to wait it out and see what other posistions open up after the ND hiring. OU would be a better job for him if Stoops bolts.

I hadn't thought much about tranfers. Not sure if many will transfer within the Big12 though.

I too think Beaty would be a great hire. I wonder if Herman will make a puch to go get him? He would be an excelent candidate to take over as OC if Herman ever bolts.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Doubt any transfer to ISU as they would sit out (2) yrs instead of (1) if they transfer to different conference.

Who ever KU brings in will be Good, they are good school and Manginio has done well recruiting. There is no guarentee that the new coach will be sucessfull. My hope is that KU goes back to the Terry Allan days and slips back into the Abyss.

Its been (5) longs years since ISU has beaten KU so it can't get any worse.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post

You think he will leave the Baltimore Ravens for Kansas?

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Fullmer - Almost 60, and he had trouble winning with some of the best talent and tons of money at Tenn. Bad fit for KU I think.
    Had trouble winning? He was 152-50 in 11 years, in the toughest conference in America. He won a National Championship and 6 SEC East Titles

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    Doubt any transfer to ISU as they would sit out (2) yrs instead of (1) if they transfer to different conference.

Who ever KU brings in will be Good, they are good school and Manginio has done well recruiting. There is no guarentee that the new coach will be sucessfull. My hope is that KU goes back to the Terry Allan days and slips back into the Abyss.

I think the OP was referring to verbal commits & uncommitted recruits that KU has been after. They haven't signed yet, so they won't face any penalties (loss of eligibility) if they switch their commitment to ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post

We can freely go after the recruits that haven't signed a LOI.

There is no evidence to show that KU will bring in anyone "good". They may bring in someone perceived as "kinda good", but look at the Gene Chizik situation. IMO there are very few candidates out there that consider KU a dream job, and that is what they need. Possibly Cromwell from A&M...I've heard his name thrown around. That is more likely I think. The Southern Mississippi coach is being mentioned as well, but I doubt they get him. My bet is on Cromwell.

Player attrition will be there, because of the situation that Mangino was forced out. I think this gets ugly. KU might get a decent coach, but it will be awhile before they get back to where they were.

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    You think he will leave the Baltimore Ravens for Kansas?
    lol. I was about to post the same thing. Surprised more people didn't notice.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 108

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Had trouble winning? He was 152-50 in 11 years, in the toughest conference in America. He won a National Championship and 6 SEC East Titles
    Fullmer would be a huge hire for them...and bad for us. He did NOT have trouble winning there.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 1

Gus Malzahn - Maybe in a couple years, but not now.
    Randy Edsall - A distinct possibilty, but he is also on Notre Dame's radar
    Will Muschamp - Not gonna happen. You do not go from head coach-in-waiting at Texas to head coach at Kansas. Besides, if Texas wins annother national title, I could see Mack riding off into the sunset
    Phillip Fulmer - He does want to coach again, but no ties to the region
    Skip Holtz - He's probably going to wait for the right SEC job to open (cough, cough, SOUTH CAROLINA,cough)
    Tommy Tuberville - Does he want to coach again? And again, no ties to the region
    John Harbaugh -Well John should still be coach of the Ravens But Jim, longshot. More likely winds up at Notre Dame
    Kevin Sumlin - Probably one of the front runners. Knows the area & has connections from his time at OU.

Other possibles:

Larry Fedora, Southern Miss HC (fromer Okalhoma State DC)
    Nolan Campbell, Texas A&M OC (Former Jayhwak QB in the early '80's)
    Brent Venables, Oklahoma DC (Kansas native & former K-State player & coach)

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 56

I think Tuberville, Fulmer, and JIM Harbaugh will all be looking for more prestigious jobs than Kansas. Kansas is and will always be a basketball school.

Muschamp will wait for a better offer than Kansas if he doesn't actually want to wait for the Texas job.

I think Edsall would be a great hire. He's done a tremendous job with a football program that was 1-AA not that long ago.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Someone said it earlier in a different thread...but Frank Solich would be a great hire, knows the BIGXII and is having a great year at Ohio

Legend
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    He was a great coach, but to go 5-6 and 5-7 in 2 of his last four years, with as much talent as he had, shows that he had some issues toward the end. At 60, I just don't think he would want to start over at KU.

I also think that, after Mangino, KU will want to go after a "sexier" hire than Fullmer. They want a "face of the program" kind of guy that Mangino, with weight and anger issues, was certainly not.