Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Let's talk about Coach K........

He, more or less like his teams, is normally a love him or hate him type of guy. For a long time (I'm almost 21, so you can decide what a long time means) I was a guy that despised his success and his notoriety, yet respected what he has done with that program and his popularity

Don't get me wrong, I always cheered for Duke to lose, but there was that amount of respect for them that is hard to explain, but you know it when it is there. Very close you jealousy, but not quite there yet.

Until I started reading about it, I never realized Mikey was so "political" or "Hayden Fry-ish" about things. Only, he is more at the national level than Haydne Fry was. From the sounds of it, if you are not going to, or haven't in the past, favored Duke, he won't talk to you. Unless he is forced to by the ACC or NCAA, of course. Then comes off as a peach. Following are links to truthaboutduke.com and an ACC site that lets you know about Coach K.

truthaboutduke.com quotes

Coach K: No room for media

And don't even get me started on the recruiting advantages Coach K has for the credit card commercials DURING THE NON-RECRUITING TIMES!!!! Seriously, that is better recruiting Coach K gets than AE gets for business.......

Anywho, I'm sure I'll hear a lot of the same opinions I share, but it is a slow time, so I thought I'd throw this out there....

Last edited by Jeremy; 03-15-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 594
    Given: 365

Re: Let's talk about Coach K........

I can't stand Duke yet have a great deal of respect for Coach K. Brilliant coach that knows how to motivate his team.

I listened to an interview on ESPN Radio a few weeks ago with Coach K. by Dan Patrick. One of the more captivating, informative, entertaining interviews I've heard in a long time.

The man knows his stuff.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

He's a Bobby Knight protoge. Great coach, but I don't know much about the guy.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Rumor has it that during the ISU coaching hunt that landed Jonny Orr, one of the other leading candidates was Coack K then at Army.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I never heard that he was a leading candidate when we hired Johnny. The reason we called Johnny was to ask about his top assistant Bill Frieder who was a candidate. After Orr heard about the job he said he was interested. Personally, I'm glad we hired Johnny (even if Coach K was a candidate). I think Johnny deserves a lot more respect and credit from both the Athletic Department and fans than he gets.

As for Coach K and Duke, I like how they run their program...it is a quality program. Coach K can both recruit and coach...there is a relatively short list of guys that can do both of these things at a high level.

I used to actively cheer for them when I had no other interest in the game back in the late 80s and early 90s. However, like anything that is overexposed you get sick of hearing about it. Frankly, I am sick of seeing nearly every Duke game on TV, seeing Duke dominate highlights, seeing Duke here, seeing Duke there, and seeing Duke everywhere!

I like to eat lobster tails but if I had to eat them every day I would eventually get sick of lobster tails...and so it is with Duke...I am sick of them!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by scubapohl1 View Post
    Rumor has it that during the ISU coaching hunt that landed Jonny Orr, one of the other leading candidates was Coack K then at Army.
    This is true. Coach K was the leading candidate right out of the shoot when Lynn Nance was let go. Not sure how or why, he didn't take the job as it was offered to him. However, Lou's fall back of Johnny Orr wasn't too bad and yes, the initial call was actually made to inquire about Frieder.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    I never heard that he was a leading candidate when we hired Johnny. The reason we called Johnny was to ask about his top assistant Bill Frieder who was a candidate. After Orr heard about the job he said he was interested. Personally, I'm glad we hired Johnny (even if Coach K was a candidate). I think Johnny deserves a lot more respect and credit from both the Athletic Department and fans than he gets.
    Not to stray too much from the topic, but I think Johnny Orr gets plenty of credit particuarly from the fans who were around to watch him. Fact of the matter is he retired a long time ago now and most folks have moved on or the new kids just don't remember what it was like when Johnny Orr was in town or more importantly what it was like before he came to Ames.

He absolutely laid the foundation for our success since then and the respect Hilton garners now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,227
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 199

That is a fact. Coach K. was a finalist for the ISU job when we hired Orr. In fact, it was down to Orr and Coach K. but Coach K. didn't have the experience that Orr had.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Cymaster View Post
    This one cracked me up as I remember looking up 5 or 6 of the Colorado team's phone numbers on the CU website and chanting them out/putting them on posters and having everybody leave messages for them when they had the Harrisons.
    "But the information about his girlfriend and her pet name for him was false, planted by a person who wished for the Cameron Crazies to embarrass themselves. If the Cameron Crazies had chanted 'Myra Piggy,' it would have sounded like 'Myron Piggie,' the name of a former basketball coach and crack cocaine dealer who pleaded guilty to giving money to college basketball players, including former Blue Devil Corey Maggette, in one of Duke's scandals.

The prank worked, conceded Duke senior Stephen Rawson, the student in charge of controlling student admission to games and passing out the cheer sheets.

'We got hoodwinked on that,' he said. 'Somebody pulled a fast one on us.'

"

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 68

Anybody hear the commentator say that Duke hasn't been knocked out in the first round for a couple of centuries? Didn't realize it had been that long

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Not to stray too much from the topic, but I think Johnny Orr gets plenty of credit particuarly from the fans who were around to watch him. Fact of the matter is he retired a long time ago now and most folks have moved on or the new kids just don't remember what it was like when Johnny Orr was in town or more importantly what it was like before he came to Ames.

He absolutely laid the foundation for our success since then and the respect Hilton garners now.
    So, why do we not name our court after Johnny like so many other schools are doing...Mizzou-Stewart, Syracuse-Boeheim, Duke-Coach K, etc. I don't live in Iowa anymore but I'm just not seeing the respect being given in correlation to the impact he made to our program!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

We need money -how about Barilla Homecourt? USDA Research Lab Court? Sunstrand Harmony Court? When we start winning big, the court exposure would be good for bucks - like Toy for Boig Tots.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.