Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: A lot of hoops still to be played...

Can't say I've given up on the season, but you can bet your bottom dollar, serious doubts have crossed into my mind about McD and his ability to get the job done here. His record along with 2-8 vs. the MVC is what's disheartening!

He's had bad luck, I'll be the first to admit, but ISU fans can only be patient for so long regardless of what unfortunate circumstances have surrounded this program. In year 4 of his tenure, it's time to win, and it's time to win NOW!!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    This is not a Garrett problem. Why is he taking more shots now? Because no one else is moving in the offense, therefore there isn't anywhere to go with the basketball.

Someone has to shoot it.
    I agree with you 100% 22, this isn't Garrett or Brackins problem, its a problem with the offense that has been there since Mac took over. There is absolutely NO MOVEMENT WITHOUT THE BALL. What happens when guys don't move? It makes it alot easier to defend, especially now that teams have figured out to lay off Garrett and stop the dribble penetration. When Garrett's guy sags off, he can't get to the lane, which was the only semblance of movement this offense had against the early creampuffs. When he got to the lane, people had to help, causing somebody to be open. With no movement, it makes it easier for the defense to know where their guy is, where the ball is, and most importantly to them, where Brackins is.

Get some movement without the ball and things start to open up, guys lose track of Brackins making the entry pass easier and making it harder to double. Set some screens away from the ball. Lucca should NEVER stop moving. Anybody remember Sullivan? He looked like he was running around like a chicken with his head cut off most times, running off screens, running the baseline, up the key, trying to get open, our guys stand and wait.

I wouldn't say I am "melting down" after a loss. I am just sick of seeing the same things over and over cost us ball games.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    100% wrong. This team has everything you need to win big games on the road, and at home for that matter. If they didn't, people wouldn't be as upset about the last two losses as they are.
    This. We're upset because we know the talent is there to do better. It's also why I still hold out hope for an improvement.

Yes, Brackins needs to attack the rim and stop with the jump shots and fades. I saw this early on against the scrubs we played and didn't like it. Everyone is correct that he should be imposing his will on the opponent if he wants/expects to be a lottery pick.

Yep, Garrett shooting that much is s problem. It may be that he has no choice and needs to put something up...that's on the other guys not getting open.

Fanatic #25

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

Agreed. I was livid Wednesday night, I went nuts after that missed shot by Dendy and made 3. I'm not sure I've ever been so mad at an ISU event (except for the Banks PF penalties in football).

And I would not have been so upset if I didn't feel this team was capable of much more. I'd just shrug, give an "oh well" and move on - including not attending many more games.

That's not the case, these guys can do much, much, much, much better.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thats my fault, McDermott said in reference to the possession after the game. I have got to get a timeout before Diante can ever let go of that pass. Again, its learning how to win and understanding time and score. Your point guards need to understand it. Your front line guys need to understand it.
    Nice job sticking up for coach here Chris. I agree, GMac is falling on the sword for one of his kids. But his reasoning IS dead wrong. Calling a timeout there, IMO, is about the second dumbest thing they could do - second only to taking a shot with an eternity on the shot clock.

Burn the TO you might need. Stop the clock, which up to the shot was your ally. Give UNI an opportunity to steal an inbound pass (a process I think we aren't particularly adept at).

That was a BBall 101 play. We screwed up. It's over. Better on a Wednesday night in December in non-conference, than in March. Every guy on the team learned a HUGE lesson that night. GMac won't even need to take the timeout next time.

On to Saturday...

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Garrett for his career is 23-99 on 3 pointers.
    Staiger this year has made 28 3's, 2 2's, and 2 free throws.
    Hamilton who is shooting 16-19, had 5 field goal attempts in 48 min the past 3 games.
    Gilstrap has 20 turnovers and 9 assists this year.

We have a point guard that can't shoot the 3, an off guard who can't shoot anything but the 3, a center who is shooting 84% who can't get the ball, and a small forward who isn't a good ball handler.

I guess that makes us an easy team to guard for teams that have some talent and a good coach.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

I don't understand the DG hate. He was 2-6 from 3 with a couple of those with less than 3 seconds on the shot clock because no one was moving around. 33% isn't a horrible percentage.

Why don't people get made when Brackins shoots a 3? he was under 25% last year.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Dendy was actually in good position...he was just too tentative with the ball. If he had taken a dribble or two forward he could have got a much better look or - the defense converges and he hits someone else that was hopefully running the lane.
    I agree totally, and think that for as bad as our offense looked the last 10 minutes of that game, a 12 footer by Dendy very well could have been the best shot we were going to get, even if we pulled the ball out and set up a play.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We just plain need to get more shots close to the hoop. If Hamilton is the only guy who has the size to do that, then he needs more minutes. Brackins and Gilstrap need to fly to the boards and get some rebounds.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

I think the problem I keep having is how Mac's teams continualy get beat in the 2nd half. Not just this years team (NW, UNI) but last years team and the ones before them. Is it coaching adjustments? Conditioning? What? Why do we keep losing leads in the 2nd half..especially to teams we shouldn't be losing to?

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I agree totally, and think that for as bad as our offense looked the last 10 minutes of that game, a 12 footer by Dendy very well could have been the best shot we were going to get, even if we pulled the ball out and set up a play.

Doesn't matter. Better off not even taking a shot. Give UNI the ball back, under Iowa State's basket, with about 5 or 6 seconds left in the game. I will take my chances with that.

Mac nailed it in his post game presser. This team lacks toughness right now. They better find it soon, because things only get tougher from here on out.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 559
    Given: 524

I think 22 is the early runner for Poster of the Day (in a good way ).

If this team is moving on the offensive end, I don't see much trouble scoring, and we can go back to being the high-scoring Cyclones.

One thing that I wish I'd seen, and mentioned to my mother (who was with me, since revkah was kidnapped by preschoolers), was the full-court press. UNI doesn't like running. They pushed it hard on one possession, and it was a chaotic mess. I just can't help believing that the full-court press would have taken them out of their comfort zone, and started moving the game into a pace that favors us strongly.

I have seen a lot of posts that mention that we need to control the tempo, and I fully agree with that. It is time to go assert the style that we want to play, and make someone play our game, instead of vice versa.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    I think the problem I keep having is how Mac's teams continualy get beat in the 2nd half. Not just this years team (NW, UNI) but last years team and the ones before them. Is it coaching adjustments? Conditioning? What? Why do we keep losing leads in the 2nd half..especially to teams we shouldn't be losing to?

These have been my thoughts for 2 years. Why don't we ever press? Why can't we ever gamble and trap a guard around the half court line when we need to change tempo? We NEVER change anything that we do.

Swallow your pride coach...you have to make some sort of change in your coaching style....not just man-it-up all the time. (He says that we have a deep bench this year....then put some "energy guys" in like Boozer to press/or trap from time to time.)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 559
    Given: 524

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    These have been my thoughts for 2 years. Why don't we ever press? Why can't we ever gamble and trap a guard around the half court line when we need to change tempo? We NEVER change anything that we do.

Swallow your pride coach...you have to make some sort of change in your coaching style....not just man-it-up all the time. (He says that we have a deep bench this year....then put some "energy guys" in like Boozer to press/or trap from time to time.)
    For folks that cry out for Boozer, that would probably be his best usage. 2-3 minutes of pressing, so he isn't always in the halfcourt man-to-man, and maybe gets a couple of exciting and easy shots (which gets the crowd rolling along).

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    Hamilton who is shooting 16-19, had 5 field goal attempts in 48 min the past 3 games.

We have... a center who is shooting 84% who can't get the ball...
    The reason why Hamilton is shooting 84% is because of the 19 shot attempts. He's shooting all the layups, dunks, and put-back he can. If you get him more intentional touches, that shooting percentage is going to come down.