Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My take

First off, I thought the game really great. Fun game to watch, a good in-state rivalry game.

I think it was pretty clear that this game was won by UNI's depth and experience. UNI made all the big plays, and made the big shots. Experience and playing together as a team is super important in basketball and that is something that we have at UNI right now, as they have great chemistry. And that is something that ISU does not have right now. You guys have a bunch of new players that play significant minutes in important roles. It takes time to develop as a team before you start seeing the success. I have no doubt that ISU will contend for an NCAA spot, and will beat plenty of good teams this year. They just havent come together yet.

As far as coaching, I thought that was one of Coach Jake's best games in a while. He really just dictated the game last night. We had a great gameplan, and really executed it. We made proper adjustments and really didn't let Brackins beat us. I thought Ali did a great job when he guarded Staiger, and he was a non-factor. Coach Mac kind of seems like he doesn't really know what type of team he has right now IMO. It looks like it should be a running team, but he doesn't really feel comfortable coaching that stye? Idk, but I think he is still trying to figure it out, and I think he will be successful. He is just tying to figure out what type of team/players he has right now IMO.

I was relly surprised how well Jordan did against ISU's athleticism. He usually stuggles against those types of teams, and was a liability in last years game, but last night he went for 20 and 14, and really did well against big athletic guys like Brackins and Gilstrap. Koch may have been the best player on the floor last night, and Kwadzo and Ali hit the clutch shots and FTs down the stretch.

I wish the Cyclones luck the rest of the year. Don't panic, as it is a good team, and will have success this year. Plus, we need you to win for RPI purposes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Re: My take

I think Iowa State still has a chance to be a much better team than UNI, at the end of the season. I'm just not sure if they'll get there?

If Greg had coached this team to play better defense, rebound better or take better shot selection (any one of the three) then I think we win by 10+.

You're right though, UNI has chemistry and Iowa State does not. I guess, how can you not expect that when you bring in Gilstrap, Christopherson, Dendy and Colvin in one year?

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

UNI was in a similar situation last year. Lots of freshman, and first year players loaded our roster last year, and we really stumbled out of the gate to like 6-6 or 6-7. But once we figured out what we had, and found the right way to play and good lineups, we went on a roll and made the NCAA's.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 6

I thought the game was a showcase of some pretty poor basketball all around.

the better team one.

but the game was **** poor to watch

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Walk On
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

It is true that UNI struggled out of the gate last year with some younger guys but they finish the season playing vs teams in the MVC (which there are quite a few cupcakes). So it was easier to get to a pretty high number of wins.

ISU really can't struggle out of the gate because our schedule cranks it up about another hundred notches once the Big 12 play starts. Going 9-7 in conference at this point would seems awesome. But if we don't win enough non-conf games it's going to be very hard to get into the NCAA's with less than 20 some wins

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 762
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

That was actually a pretty sensible and accurate write up. It is true you have to stay away from CF for a little while after a loss...the whole place is lit up with intense heat, can't even get near it.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My take: ISU should never lose to UNI.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by justgetcy View Post
    It is true that UNI struggled out of the gate last year with some younger guys but they finish the season playing vs teams in the MVC (which there are quite a few cupcakes). So it was easier to get to a pretty high number of wins.

ISU really can't struggle out of the gate because our schedule cranks it up about another hundred notches once the Big 12 play starts. Going 9-7 in conference at this point would seems awesome. But if we don't win enough non-conf games it's going to be very hard to get into the NCAA's with less than 20 some wins
    Yeah, ISU sure knows alot about those MVC "cupcakes"...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 4

If ISU stumbles to 6-7 like UNI did last year they won't be able to make it up. Big 12 way too difficult.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    If ISU stumbles to 6-7 like UNI did last year they won't be able to make it up. Big 12 way too difficult.
    Yes, they can make it up. They will still have opportunities to beat teams like KU, Texas, Oklahoma, K-State, etc...

UNI needs to win early season non-con games to be in at-large contention. We weren't going to make the tournament last year unless we won the MVC tourny, which luckily we did. Iowa State still has plenty of chances for great wins for the rusume.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 617
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 46

[QUOTE=2forISU;1393754]You hit the nail right on the head...Coach Mac doesn't know how to coach a run and gun offense. He is half court coach and believes in motion offense with a lot of pick the picker or slip cuts.QUOTE]

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 600
    Given: 303

Quote Originally Posted by 06Panther View Post
    Yeah, ISU sure knows alot about those MVC "cupcakes"...
    Look at it this way. UNI is picked to finish first in the MVC. ISU is picked to finish 8th in the Big 12. UNI barely squeaked by ISU last night, that could have easily gone either way.
    If you read into that, the best team in the MVC barely beat the 8th best team in the Big 12. Take it for what it worth.

That being said, I know its a bad example of comparing conferences. Yes, I know the MVC is good, but not to the level of the Big 12.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by 06Panther View Post
    First off, I thought the game really great. Fun game to watch, a good in-state rivalry game.

I think it was pretty clear that this game was won by UNI's depth and experience. UNI made all the big plays, and made the big shots. Experience and playing together as a team is super important in basketball and that is something that we have at UNI right now, as they have great chemistry. And that is something that ISU does not have right now. You guys have a bunch of new players that play significant minutes in important roles. It takes time to develop as a team before you start seeing the success. I have no doubt that ISU will contend for an NCAA spot, and will beat plenty of good teams this year. They just havent come together yet.

As far as coaching, I thought that was one of Coach Jake's best games in a while. He really just dictated the game last night. We had a great gameplan, and really executed it. We made proper adjustments and really didn't let Brackins beat us. I thought Ali did a great job when he guarded Staiger, and he was a non-factor. Coach Mac kind of seems like he doesn't really know what type of team he has right now IMO. It looks like it should be a running team, but he doesn't really feel comfortable coaching that style? Idk, but I think he is still trying to figure it out, and I think he will be successful. He is just tying to figure out what type of team/players he has right now IMO.

I was relly surprised how well Jordan did against ISU's athleticism. He usually stuggles against those types of teams, and was a liability in last years game, but last night he went for 20 and 14, and really did well against big athletic guys like Brackins and Gilstrap. Koch may have been the best player on the floor last night, and Kwadzo and Ali hit the clutch shots and FTs down the stretch.

I wish the Cyclones luck the rest of the year. Don't panic, as it is a good team, and will have success this year. Plus, we need you to win for RPI purposes.

If true......then I think it's high time he looks for another job. We have payed him too much........and are too far into his tenure to have him all of a sudden realize he has no idea, and isn't comfortable.

Prospect
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    My take: ISU should never lose to UNI.
    I wouldn't go this far. I will say that ISU shouldn't be 1-3 vs. UNI the past 4 years. Nor should ISU be 2-8 vs. the MVC during the last 4 years. 2-2 and 5-3 would be more appropriate. UNI and Drake have had some good teams recently.

Year 4 or a coach and we're starting off slow once again. With more players back and an influx of athletic talent, we SHOULD be better but we're not. It's still early, still a lot of time to right the ship, but Mac is losing supporters quickly and rightfully so. He needs to win, or do ISU a favor and resign.

I have one question for the Panther fan that started this thread. Would you like McDermott back? I'm sure there are plenty of fans on here today that would let you have him.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I'd take him back. If Jake could still be his lead assistant...