Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,060
    Given: 280

My Thoughts on Beebe's Comments

Here are my thoughts on Dan Beebe's comments from today's Star. I also threw in a couple of my favorite Fanatic posts from today...

Williams: Big 12 comments were out of line | Cyclone Fanatic

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: My Thoughts on Beebe's Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Here are my thoughts on Dan Beebe's comments from today's Star. I also threw in a couple of my favorite Fanatic posts from today...

Williams: Big 12 comments were out of line | Cyclone Fanatic
    Here are JPs thoughts:

“Iowa State University is honored to be under consideration for several bowls, including the Insight Bowl. It speaks volumes about the respect that Insight Bowl officials have for our football program and our school’s reputation for bowl travel based largely upon our trip to Phoenix in 2000. We understand Commissioner Bebee’s comments about the University of Missouri and its candidacy for the Insight Bowl. If the roles were reversed, our institution and fans would fully expect the Commissioner to share the same concern for Iowa State University. The selection process for bowl games, much like television decisions, is entirely up to the respective bowl partners. Our bowl partners have guaranteed our conference membership a significant amount of money in turn for the right to select whichever schools they desire for their games. We look forward to participating in whatever Big 12 bowl game invites the Cyclones.”

Legend
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 357

My question would be this. What if Iowa State was 8-4 and they were looking at a 6-6 Missouri team. Would this guy feel like he needed to make public comments saying we are getting hosed. Probably not because honestly he probably does not care aobut ISU.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 759
    Given: 1,578

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    My question would be this. What if Iowa State was 8-4 and they were looking at a 6-6 Missouri team. Would this guy feel like he needed to make public comments saying we are getting hosed. Probably not because honestly he probably does not care aobut ISU.
    No, but there would be an unbelievable amount of ******** on this board about us getting hosed.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    Here are JPs thoughts:

“Iowa State University is honored to be under consideration for several bowls, including the Insight Bowl. It speaks volumes about the respect that Insight Bowl officials have for our football program and our school’s reputation for bowl travel based largely upon our trip to Phoenix in 2000. We understand Commissioner Bebee’s comments about the University of Missouri and its candidacy for the Insight Bowl. If the roles were reversed, our institution and fans would fully expect the Commissioner to share the same concern for Iowa State University. The selection process for bowl games, much like television decisions, is entirely up to the respective bowl partners. Our bowl partners have guaranteed our conference membership a significant amount of money in turn for the right to select whichever schools they desire for their games. We look forward to participating in whatever Big 12 bowl game invites the Cyclones.”
    Where did that come from?

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 82

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Where did that come from?
    E-mail.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

I bet he would. I was somewhat surprised he stuck up for Missouri. I doubt the Big 12 shows anymore favoritism to Missouri than to ISU. Nevertheless, the comments should not be made at all.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 74

I don't want to go that far. I think, as a fanbase, we feel that anything done by anyone with authority that does not further our program is involved in some sort of conspiracy. I can certainly understand the commissioners feelings but at the same time, they claim not be involved in bowl selection. If you want to be involved, set up the rules to do what you want to do.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 633
    Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    No, but there would be an unbelievable amount of ******** on this board about us getting hosed.
    That's not the point - all of us AGREE that Mizzou is getting hosed. What we're all upset about is Bebee coming to Mizzou's defense when he likeky wouldn't give two ***** if the roles were reversed.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    Here are JPs thoughts:

That is a pretty weak statement, IMO..but it is all that JP can say. He has to be the bigger man in this situation and not get into that mess (which will hopefully hit Beebe hard).

Certainly I can understand Mizzou's standpoint in this issue, and I would be angry if we were on the other side of it...but this is bigger than that. Mizzou has no reason to be angry at us, and they should actually feel dirty that the Big12 commissioner had to step in and say such a partial statement like that. It is insulting to the operations as a conference. If anything they should be more angry, considering the logic of Beebe, that a 7-5 Oklahoma team is getting picked over them.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 338

I guarantee you that commish beebee doesnt care about iowa state...hellsbells nobody in the hq in dallas cares about ISU...

All we are is an afterthought for these jerks...a way to fill out the schedules of texas-oklahoma and nebraska...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I don't want to go that far. I think, as a fanbase, we feel that anything done by anyone with authority that does not further our program is involved in some sort of conspiracy. I can certainly understand the commissioners feelings but at the same time, they claim not be involved in bowl selection. If you want to be involved, set up the rules to do what you want to do.
    Allowing a 6-6 team to go over an 8-4 team sets a bad precedent --- wait until we are 8-4 and an OU or NU is 6-6 and we get skipped over -- there are serious long term implications here --- JP took the high road and the right road.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,121
    Given: 229

I guess I don't see his comments so much as anti-ISU, as much as being pro-Missouri, maybe not a big difference to some, but to me I'm not exactly outraged. I think JP's comment is right on point, if we were 8-4 and Missouri were 6-6 we'd want him to say the same thing about us. And as far as I know there isn't anything that would suggest that he wouldn't say the same thing about us is there? Letting bowls select teams with less wins over teams with more wins kind of sours the whole thing in my opinion. Even though the bowl system already sucks.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,060
    Given: 280

I think that Beebe's opinion is right.

But I think that if you want to do something about it, as the league, you need to do it behind closed doors. Not publicly.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It's the "this isn't over" that bothers me. And the "head to head" thing gets me a bit too.

Comes off as the Big XII is really fighting for Mizzou in that bowl. I feel if that Big XII wants the 6th team to go to the bowl, that's what it should be contracted as. But it's the 6th pick (or whatever number). If they're going to leave it open to discussion, then discussions are going to happen. And as I said elsewhere, the bowl needs to make money off these games as well as the schools/conference.

I don't care to look it up and see if it's proveable. But don't we generally accept that we'd get passed over for a Texas school or OU for any of the Texas bowls?