Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

The posession that killed us

ISU rebounded a UNI miss with less than a minute in the game and pushed the ball to Dendy who got the ball inside the 3pt line close to the baseline by the ISU bench. He catches the ball, puts up an airball I believe and UNI goes down and hits a transition 3 to take a 2 point lead.
    Why? We had a 1 point lead with less than a minute to go. Why in the hell would you shoot a jump shot without running clock? I believe he should have either a) passed the ball to a better handler to get fouled or b) if you're gonna try to put points on the board take the ball to the rim and get fouled and possibly have a chance for the and one 3 point play. But hey, we only shot 5 free throws the entire game and I think 4 of those took place in the last 3 minutes of the game. Terrible, just absolutely terrible basketball IQ from this team and coaching staff last night.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: The posession that killed us

Quote Originally Posted by akclone View Post
    ISU rebounded a UNI miss with less than a minute in the game and pushed the ball to Dendy who got the ball inside the 3pt line close to the baseline by the ISU bench. He catches the ball, puts up an airball I believe and UNI goes down and hits a transition 3 to take a 2 point lead.
    Why? We had a 1 point lead with less than a minute to go. Why in the hell would you shoot a jump shot without running clock? I believe he should have either a) passed the ball to a better handler to get fouled or b) if you're gonna try to put points on the board take the ball to the rim and get fouled and possibly have a chance for the and one 3 point play. But hey, we only shot 5 free throws the entire game and I think 4 of those took place in the last 3 minutes of the game. Terrible, just absolutely terrible basketball IQ from this team and coaching staff last night.

That's ISU basketball my dear. You don't need much basketball IQ to become our head basketball coach let alone player.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 47

Laron posted on his facebook that he lost the game for us last night because of that shot. Dude feels horrible about it. He also snatched about 3-4 rebounds leading up to that kept us in the game. So you can't blame it on Dendy. To many people should take the blame without putting it on one guy.
    For the record he also states that he is going to dominate Cal this weekend. I like the kids attitude.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 2

I don't know if I would place all the blame on Dendy. He did what was instinctual...you are wide open from 12 feet out, thats a shot he probably makes 60-70 percent of the time. If GMac wanted them to slow it down there, he should have called a time out or communicated that to our PG.

Also, I am not convinced we would have gotten a better shot than that if we would have slowed it down. Our offense had been completely inept up to that pont, and a wide open 12 footer might have been the best shot we were going to get.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 507

That was a bad shot. He likely got carried away as an inexperienced guy. He knew it once he put it up, but by then it's too late.

Maybe just don't pass the ball that direction at that point.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

That shot and the ensuing 3 was the back breaker for us. UNI was keeping us in the game at the end by taking bad shots of their own. I think they had 4 really bad shots in a row when they had a chance to take the lead. I liked how we kept giving it CB down low the final few minutes....that should be what do every single trip down the floor.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 9

It was a boneheaded play, but Dendy didn't lose the game for us. He played hard and put in more effort than some of the guys. It was a lackluster effort all night as well as an inability to establish a half court offense that killed us.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

He most likely lost track of the score, and thought we were down. I would say that is a coaching issue though. McD should have been calling a timeout, slowing this team down and making sure they have clock management. I blame this game COMPLETELY on McD. Games that end that close require coaching. He should know better though.

That being said....this is not the end of the world people. What did you think, we were going to go undefeated? We're going to be fine this year. Let's just hope for some luck and beat a tough Cal and Duke team in the national spotlight.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Laron posted on his facebook that he lost the game for us last night because of that shot. Dude feels horrible about it. He also snatched about 3-4 rebounds leading up to that kept us in the game. So you can't blame it on Dendy. To many people should take the blame without putting it on one guy.
    For the record he also states that he is going to dominate Cal this weekend. I like the kids attitude.
    Its good that he is aware of the mistake and it will make him a better player going forward. Players need to be aware of the game situation at all times.

The only difference between his poor decision and all the other poor decisions made last night is ISU ran out of time before they could recover. His just happened last.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

I saw the second half and was struck by the same thing that got me in our loss to Northwestern. It's all about the lane. We seemingly can't get it in there and we sure as hell can't keep the other team out. That's grade-school level philosophy but applicable.

I'll readily admit I haven't seen much Cyclone basketball this year, but had read on here that Garrett had much better command of the game. That's not what I see; frankly Colvin created more in his few minutes than Garrett did in the half. Diante should not be chucking up threes - I don't care if he did rattle two home...

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We need CB taking those shots at the end of games.

Right now this team is mentally weak, Mac needs to right this ship quickly or all hell is going to break loose in Cyclone Nation.

UNI's coaching staff made adjustments and our coaching staff didn't, two games in a row now that are team goes stiff when the pressure mounts and we have'nt sniffed Big XII competition yet....I have a bad, bad feeling.

Horrible loss last night, just horrible and inexcusable!!!!

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 197

Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    That's ISU basketball my dear. You don't need much basketball IQ to become our head basketball coach let alone player.
    This is the kind of moronic post that makes me thing the average IQ of an Iowa State fan is around 30.

Just pitiful.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 91

He should have slowed it down. He has been out and was excited to be back at it. Many mistakes were made, but when this team is learning each other, they really should slow the game down and make calculated decisions. Speed up later when you know someone will be there to rebound.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 91

This is what gets me. Some folks on here honestly believe there is no heart out there. The guys ******* care and care alot. Its a bit disorganized yes, but the players and coaches want to win.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I guarantee he never makes that same mistake again. He's gotta take it as learning experience and turn it into a positive.