Reasons for the U of I meltdown
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 218,978, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,977
    Points
    218,978
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 688
    Given: 68

    Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    I have several friends who are Hawkeye fans. Lately they have been pretty pessimistic about pretty much all things Hawkeye. And I can see why. Guys like me who are Cyclone fans are really pumped up about the future. ISU has a great New AD in Pollard who seems to have a plan and direction that he would like to Cyclone athletics go. Iowa has the "reincarnation of BVD" in Gary Barta.

    ISU has a great New Football Coach in Chizik. Season tickets will break a new record shortly and it is only mid-March. It looks like Cyclone fans are buying into Pollard's vision. Iowa has a great football coach in Ferentz, but the reality is he is 13-12 over the last two years with a losing record last year and earned $4 million last year. It seems they have taken a big step backward.

    ISU has Cael Sanderson as Wrestling Coach. The New Generation of Dan Gable. This time we didn't let him slip away. Brands is good but he is no Cael.

    ISU has Coach McDermott while Iowa has Alford. Need I say more? We will get better and we have some serious talent coming in. Things look a little bleak for our Little Brother to the East.

    ISU has Coach Fenelly. What can you say? The guy is a great coach who will be here forever, I hope. Iowa has Bluder. Another disappointing season for our Little Sister to the East.

    The main thing I have noticed is that Cyclone fans have enthusiasm and hope, which is something we have not always had. It seems like I am seeing more and more people proud to be Cyclones and that hasn't always been the case.

    Hawkeye fans on the other hand, remind me of the dinosaurs, whose day in the sun has passed. And they know it. That is why they are having a meltdown. They are stuck in the tarpits and they see the end coming.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,618, Level: 78
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesrule91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    4,961
    Points
    64,618
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 144

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Hawkeye fans on the other hand, remind me of the dinosaurs, whose day in the sun has passed. And they know it. That is why they are having a meltdown. They are stuck in the tarpits and they see the end coming.
    And ISU is the meteor they don't see in the horizon...

    Don't worry EIU, being a Comunity College does have it's perks



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 23,899, Level: 47
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,225
    Points
    23,899
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    I think Iowa is in pretty good shape with football. They sell out their stadium each year and they have plenty of talent coming back and coming in. Ferentz said his team turned into fat cats because of the success they had from 2002-2004, and that things were going to change. The Texas game was proof that the hunger is starting to come back for them. It'll be interesting to see how this year plays out. I think they'll win 8 or more, but any less could start the "fire Ferentz" rumblings.

    I agree about mens basketball. Sure, Iowa exceeded expectations this year and they have some good recruits lined up, but it just seems like no one cares anymore. And probably won't until he makes it to the NCAAs and actually wins a game. Or until he's fired. My bet is on the latter.

    Personally, I couldn't care less about women's hoops or wrestling. And I think the majority of fans, both ISU and Iowa, feel the same.



  4. #4
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Who knows how all of this plays out. You do have to remember that Iowa's athletic budget has been more than twice as much as ISU's. There is a database from 04-05 on the Indy Star website. Iowa's revenue is over $61 million and ISU's is just under $29 million.

    Iowa does have some evalution(s) to do with primarily men's basketball.

    I agree with cytheguy in that I only care about football and men's bb.

    Iowa football under KF is fine and will be in good shape as long as he stays.

    ISU does have a leg up on basketball and their future is definitely brighter on this 14th day of March, 2007.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 8,692, Level: 27
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    rd4isu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    537
    Points
    8,692
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by cytheguy View Post
    I agree about mens basketball. Sure, Iowa exceeded expectations this year and they have some good recruits lined up, but it just seems like no one cares anymore.
    Am I the only one who thinks that the recruits Iowa's got lined up aren't that good? I mean sure, they're 4* guys but one kid is from City High who's team didn't even make it to state this year. I haven't seen him play but one would think he could at least carry his team to the state tournament if he's "that good". And everything I've read about their 7 footer screams work in progress. He's not going to come in and have an instant, job saving impact like many think. I also have my doubts that he'll be able to develop at all under Alford. Just seems like a bigger Kurt Looby.

    Sorry, a little off topic of the thread



  6. #6
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    357
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    "Am I the only one who thinks that the recruits Iowa's got lined up aren't that good?"

    Yes...

    Iowa will be fine in foot ball. KF seems to be refocused and they have had some good recruting classes the last couple of years. Now, the question is "Did KF just decide he needed to do thinks different, or has he taken notice of what is going on in Ames and knows what Chizik is capable of?"

    I think he is prepareing because he knows Chizik is going to make things a lot tougher on KF and the Hawks!



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 8,692, Level: 27
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    rd4isu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    537
    Points
    8,692
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Huh? I was talking basketball recruits.



  8. #8
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Ahhh...
    Look I think that if Iowa loses every game from here until eternity would be great. The problem is that we need to focus on the needs of Iowa State. I don't care about what the Hawks are doing, whether or not Alford is back, Ferentz is 13-12, etc. I don't care, really. If we hate the Hawks because of the rivalry, that's great, and appropriate. But when it boils down to it at the end of the day, I would hope that people are more interested in helping Iowa State become the premier program across the board in the state of Iowa.

    I was watching the CyHawk show, and Deace and Miller both said it right, Jamie Pollard has put Iowa State all in, there really is no back up plan. What we need to do, as fans, if we really want to see Iowa State successful, is make sure that Jamie has enough chips to play with the big boys (to use the poker references). Shreveport and a Cy Hawk trophy every other year are no longer what we should be playing for.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 103,725, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Posts
    5,464
    Points
    103,725
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 7

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    You guys should really try and follow wrestling and WBB. I don't follow WBB as much as I follow wrestling but they are both sports in which we are very good. It kind of makes the winter go by faster when their is always a cyclone kicking @ss. Plus it makes it a lot easier to see Football and MBB struggle.

    If that doesn't convince you, we are in the state of Iowa. We are known for our high school women's bball and we are the center of the world for wrestling. Its better than being known for Meth!


    Last edited by CyForPresident; 03-14-2007 at 02:19 PM.

  10. #10
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 251,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    17,880
    Points
    251,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,106
    Given: 927

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I have several friends who are Hawkeye fans. Lately they have been pretty pessimistic about pretty much all things Hawkeye. And I can see why. Guys like me who are Cyclone fans are really pumped up about the future. ISU has a great New AD in Pollard who seems to have a plan and direction that he would like to Cyclone athletics go. Iowa has the "reincarnation of BVD" in Gary Barta.

    ISU has a great New Football Coach in Chizik. Season tickets will break a new record shortly and it is only mid-March. It looks like Cyclone fans are buying into Pollard's vision. Iowa has a great football coach in Ferentz, but the reality is he is 13-12 over the last two years with a losing record last year and earned $4 million last year. It seems they have taken a big step backward.

    ISU has Cael Sanderson as Wrestling Coach. The New Generation of Dan Gable. This time we didn't let him slip away. Brands is good but he is no Cael.

    ISU has Coach McDermott while Iowa has Alford. Need I say more? We will get better and we have some serious talent coming in. Things look a little bleak for our Little Brother to the East.

    ISU has Coach Fenelly. What can you say? The guy is a great coach who will be here forever, I hope. Iowa has Bluder. Another disappointing season for our Little Sister to the East.

    The main thing I have noticed is that Cyclone fans have enthusiasm and hope, which is something we have not always had. It seems like I am seeing more and more people proud to be Cyclones and that hasn't always been the case.

    Hawkeye fans on the other hand, remind me of the dinosaurs, whose day in the sun has passed. And they know it. That is why they are having a meltdown. They are stuck in the tarpits and they see the end coming.



    We have to be a little careful in saying these things because we've never actually seen him coach a down of football as a head coach. He seems like a great guy and fired up and a good recruiter, but I'm not saying he's a great coach until he proves it ot me.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  11. #11
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    927
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    I'm with you mjones34. Chizik hasn't coached a game yet. He isn't great.

    All basketball recruits are not "great" by virtue of commiting to and then signing with ISU.

    Message boards are fun, but they ain't the real world.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 38,518, Level: 60
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    247cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spring Hill, KS
    Posts
    1,119
    Points
    38,518
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 20

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    Ahhh...
    Look I think that if Iowa loses every game from here until eternity would be great. The problem is that we need to focus on the needs of Iowa State. I don't care about what the Hawks are doing, whether or not Alford is back, Ferentz is 13-12, etc. I don't care, really. If we hate the Hawks because of the rivalry, that's great, and appropriate. But when it boils down to it at the end of the day, I would hope that people are more interested in helping Iowa State become the premier program across the board in the state of Iowa.

    I was watching the CyHawk show, and Deace and Miller both said it right, Jamie Pollard has put Iowa State all in, there really is no back up plan. What we need to do, as fans, if we really want to see Iowa State successful, is make sure that Jamie has enough chips to play with the big boys (to use the poker references). Shreveport and a Cy Hawk trophy every other year are no longer what we should be playing for.

    I'll second this. PLEASE STOP USING IOWA AS A MEASURING STICK!!!! We don't even play in the same conference for crying out loud!

    And let's not put the cart in front of the horse with GMac and Chizik. They both have outstanding resumes and I believe they will do great things for ISU, but they haven't been given a chance to develop any kind of track record with the Cyclones. Chizik hasn't even coached a game yet! Don't put the blinders on and get swept up in the excitement and then start touting what hasn't happened yet. Be patient.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 17,088, Level: 39
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cypwr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Amekeny
    Posts
    973
    Points
    17,088
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 107

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by rd4isu View Post
    I haven't seen him play but one would think he could at least carry his team to the state tournament if he's "that good".
    I have to disagree with you on this one. I am not saying the kid is all that, but 4A schools are the closest thing to small college BB. It is a team sport alot of talented kids/teams do not make it to state. Example Ames High with Alex Thompson, Ross Marston, Another D1 kid (?Fisher?) and Austen Arnaud. It is harder for one stud to lead a team to state. I came from a smaller highschool and when I moved to Ames my eyes were opened with my kids participating in sports. There are more good to average teams (as a percentage of the total) in 4A year in year out than at the small schools thus alot more probability of upsets. Coming from a 1A school, I would look at 4A and see teams only had to win two or three games to make it to state, and thought that would be easy but I now believe it is a myth. One guys opinion.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 495,879, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    33,407
    Points
    495,879
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,343
    Given: 939

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by 247cy View Post
    I'll second this. PLEASE STOP USING IOWA AS A MEASURING STICK!!!! We don't even play in the same conference for crying out loud!
    Yeah, B/C using the Big 10 as a measuring stick for Iowa State (and the rest of the Big XII) is like using a meter stick to measure out a football field. You end up falling short (10 yards in this case)


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.


  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 26,308, Level: 49
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,713
    Points
    26,308
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 226

    Re: Reasons for the U of I meltdown

    Personally, I could care less if we are better than Iowa. Don't get me wrong, I love beating them and hate everything associated with them, but I would like to see us worry about doing well in our own conference and worry more about beating teams that directly effect post-season play, i.e. bowl games, NCAA tourney. We will never get any better if we keep comparing ourselves to a university that has it's athletics programs sliding south.


    Go Cyclones!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM