Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 52

Childcare in Ames?

To make a short story long....My wife is expecting at the end of May (go ahead and shudder, there'll be a mini-tigershoops31 running around town...just wait til I teach the little tike how to use a message board..wahaha) and we are looking for decent, affordable childcare around Ames. Last night we checked out Eagle's Loft, which according to everybody we talked to was one of the top places around. I was really unimpressed when the lady that was supposed to give us the tour decided to take off early (and didn't apologize at all when they called and reminded her). We ended up getting somebody who was nice, but had never given a tour before so she didn't know a ton. Their actual facilities and policies were pretty nice, but it makes you wonder how the director could forget a meeting with prospective customers. Then I got the rate sheet from them. I about dropped my teeth when they told me that with our "federal employee discount" it would only be about 10 grand a year!! I'll probably be peeing blood for a week when I tell my wife at this point in the pregnancy that maybe having a baby isn't a great idea, but my gosh! I was just curious as to whether anybody had any recommendations in the area that would be decent and fairly cheap for childcare? I mean obviously we don't want our kid in a dump, but if I were in my kid's shoes I'd rather my old man save the 10 grand a year and give me a lump sum of $180,000 when I turned 18! Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance and sorry for my rant.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Childcare in Ames?

I would hope that your kid won't need childcare for 18 years.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,329
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCy View Post
    I would hope that your kid won't need childcare for 18 years.
    Real cool jerk...my kid has no arms or legs. He may need childcare longer than that.

Alright, I'm kidding (hopefully). You're right, but I'd still prefer the $40,000 or whatever until he's 5 and I show him how to use the stove, back off and turn him loose out in the real world.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 499
    Given: 450

My fiance plans to be a stay at home mom for awhile when we have kids in a few years. She is an elem. teacher so we'd actually save money.

@RandomGeoFacts

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 47

What exactly do you expect child care to cost? Do you want someone who is getting paid minimum wage taking care of your child? Just do the math. It isn't an easy job, and do you want someone doing it who doesn't like their job because they aren't getting paid much?

Divide $10,000 by 12 months, and then divide that by the number of days each month your child who be in day care. Get it down to $/hr and you'll see it's not much. Day care is a job just like any other. That is why many mother's stay home, because the cost of day care outweighs them raising their own children. Its the reality of the cost of day care.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I was looking at the childcare here at work a few years ago and it was a grand per month for newborns. It would almost be cheaper to stay at home.
    Maybe I should quit my job, stay home with the kids and sponge off of the government until the kid starts school.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Walk On
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    My fiance plans to be a stay at home mom for awhile when we have kids in a few years. She is an elem. teacher so we'd actually save money.
    But it also will put her more years away from qualifing for her IPERS. What does the average starting teacher make in Iowa. $25,000?? Plus the child care expense is tax deductible. So to say you are money ahead is not true. But to say she wants to be there for the kids is a personal choice that you and her can make. My wife is also a teacher and she would go crazy if she stayed home all day. The summer alone is too much for her.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    What exactly do you expect child care to cost? Do you want someone who is getting paid minimum wage taking care of your child? Do the math. It isn't an easy job, and do you want someone doing it who doesn't like their job because they aren't getting paid much?

Divide $10,000 by 12 months, and then divide that by the number of days each month your child who be in day care. Get it down to $/hr and you'll see it's not much. Day care is a job just like any other. That is why many mother's stay home, because the cost of day care outweighs them raising their own children. Its the reality of the cost of day care.
    I guess when I'm making $25,000 a year as a teacher and having a big chunk taken out for taxes I just have a hard time figuring out where I'm going to come up with an extra $10,000 a year. If I could have found that kind of money before I'd be living a lot larger at this point. Maybe it's time I formed "Cyclone Daddy Daycare-'Where we are preparing young minds for a lifetime of Cyclone loving and Hawkeye Hating'". Enrollment starts soon!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 1

I am a stay at home dad of almost 6 years, and love it. We never thought we could afford to live on one income, but it can be done. Don't rule this out as an option! If you (or anyone else) is interested, PM me and I will espouse upon my "job's" merits.

P.S. I know I am probably opening myself up for a variety of negative comments and jocular "Mr. Mom" references, but I can take it...I'm man enough!

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

What exactly do you expect child care to cost? Do you want someone who is getting paid minimum wage taking care of your child? Just do the math. It isn't an easy job, and do you want someone doing it who doesn't like their job because they aren't getting paid much?

Pretty good point here really. If the Daycare you looked at is as good as advertised you are getting off for only 192 a week. Not bad. I had my son 10 yrs ago and I paid more than that in Ames. Home care is the only other inexpensive option, but I prefered the daycare/preschool type setting that the larger daycare provided. Home care is scarey to me unless you personally know the provider.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 94

Assuming the child gets 8 hours per day/5 days per week/50 weeks per year (2,000 annual hours) of childcare...this is $5 per hour.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,525
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64

My wife is staying home until our youngest(2) is at least in kindergarten. It's the best and least expensive childcare there is. Of course it makes the money a whole lot tighter. We looked for a while and just got frustrated so we decided to live cheaper for now. Not that it works like that for everyone. It is definitely expensive but when you break it down the way pulse does above, it isn't really bad at all.

Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Hey Tiger did that $10,000 figure come from the average cost or did it include the time you will be able to have with the lil cyclone during school breaks? I just wondered if that cost was for the whole year or tailored to your schedule.

Cy Created by MC Doder

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 94

Is childcare tax deductible? Anyone know?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    Hey Tiger did that $10,000 figure come from the average cost or did it include the time you will be able to have with the lil cyclone during school breaks? I just wondered if that cost was for the whole year or tailored to your schedule.
    That was for $806 a month for 5 days a week. Without the discount it's like $940 a month. The thing is, I could take care of him during the summer when I'm on break, but they charge you for the whole year or else you lose your place in line and have to go on the waiting list. I really would be tempted to start a daycare, but I know I wouldn't have any CF customers because I've been exposed for what I sit around doing all day. It's cool guys, I wouldn't want my daycare provider typing out message board posts all day either.