Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 67

Roof hail damage scam?

Had a flyer on my door yesterday (and a sign in neighbor's yard) telling me to contact this company to get a new roof (paid for by insurance company) because of hail damage.

My neighbor apparently bit and is getting a new roof (supposedly). My warning bells went off right away.

Anyone else have experience with this? Found several links via google that identify this as a scam.

Fanatic #25

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Roof hail damage scam?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Had a flyer on my door yesterday (and a sign in neighbor's yard) telling me to contact this company to get a new roof (paid for by insurance company) because of hail damage.

My neighbor apparently bit and is getting a new roof (supposedly). My warning bells went off right away.

Anyone else have experience with this? Found several links via google that identify this as a scam.

Shhhhh!!!

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Well I see you live in Urbandale. In July Johnston and Urb got hit hard by hail and I know we replaced a lot of roofs.

I would call your insurance company first and have them send a claims adjustor out to take a look at it.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,149
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Did your roof sustain hail damage?

My guess is there was a hail storm in your area this past year and a roofing company is looking to drum up business before it gets to cold to do any more roof work. They are trying to get people who don't think their roof was damaged to file a claim with their insurance. I would think the insurance company is going to inspect the roof before they give out a payment.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Agreed...final say is adjuster from MY insurance company.

Company is based out of MN. I don't recall any serious hail storm around here in 6 years. At least nothing that has even damaged plants, cars, etc. Just pea sized stuff.

Fanatic #25

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 166

My new roof begs to disagree, as ours was damaged in a storm in June

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Agreed...final say is adjuster from MY insurance company.

Company is based out of MN. I don't recall any serious hail storm around here in 6 years. At least nothing that has even damaged plants, cars, etc. Just pea sized stuff.
    FYI we replaced a lot of roofs in your area after July. Payed out a lot of money as the hail was quite large

Turning it into the insurance company won't make your payment go up. Just ask for them to come take a look at it

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 28

Check with insurance company first, since they are writing the checks. And always be a little leary of the Storm Chasers.

32 years later and I am still riding on the back.

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Turning it into the insurance company won't make your payment go up. Just ask for them to come take a look at it
    Our homeowners most certainly went up when we had to file a water damage claim (caused by a fault POS John Kline roof) a few years back in a previous home. IIRC, Allied paid out about $2500.

It's actually stayed with us on our new house too and our agent told us our payment will go down next year because the prior claim will be old enough.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Our homeowners most certainly went up when we had to file a water damage claim (caused by a fault POS John Kline roof) a few years back in a previous home. IIRC, Allied paid out about $2500.

It's actually stayed with us on our new house too and our agent told us our payment will go down next year because the prior claim will be old enough.
    Yeah water damage is a little different. Hail is something out of your control. Water damage the insurance company usually trys to put back on the customer because they say it could have been avoided if you did this or that. Sometimes that's true, sometimes it's not.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by redrocker View Post
    Check with insurance company first, since they are writing the checks. And always be a little leary of the Storm Chasers.
    Yup, just leary and figured I'd check and see what people knew.

Not saying roof hail damage doesn't occur...just that it's fishy for an out of state company to canvas an area with no other signs of storm damage.

Fanatic #25

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yup, just leary and figured I'd check and see what people knew.

Not saying roof hail damage doesn't occur...just that it's fishy for an out of state company to canvas an area with no other signs of storm damage.
    They tried to pull that with my parents. I happened to be at thier house when a guy knocked on the door and said that he had a "verball agreement" with my dad to fix the roof.

I said "no you don't"

He said, "yes we have already talked to his insurance agent"

I said, "no you haven't, as I am his agent"

The guy turned around and walked away

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Many comments in this thread illustrate the need for education when it comes to insurance and catastrophic damage. Nothing negative intended. Someone or some company seeking your business doesn't make them a crook. Free markets and open competition is the root of our economic system. The company in question has made you aware there may be damage to your home. That's nothing but good. Be smart and explore the possibility. After all, a home is often an individual's largest investment.

1. If there has been damage in your area, your policy likely requires you to file a claim and furthermore take measures to limit any more damage from occurring.
    2. There is no penalty for filing a claim in suspect of catastrophic damage and you cannot be singled out for a rate increase - period, regardless if the insurance company pays for damages or not.
    3. When you file a claim the insurance company will send out THEIR adjuster. Key word here being "THEIR". The adjuster works for the insurance company and is there representing it's interest, not yours.
    4. Find a qualified company experienced in dealing with insurance companies and claims. This company will represent your interests when the adjuster arrives. When YOUR rep surveys the damage with THEIR rep the results are always better for you.
    5. Insurance claims are not a profit taking event! The only reason to obtain multiple estimates is to either save the insurance company money (no benefit for you), or to flirt with insurance fraud by attempting to profit from the claim. You have the right to hire the “Contractor of your Choice”. Pricing has nothing to do with it. That issue will be between the insurance carrier and your contractor. You obtained your insurance policy to protect your property interests and agreed at that time to pay a portion for those repairs, known as your deductible. The amount of the deductible you agreed to is directly relevant to premium costs.
    6. Find professional help BEFORE the adjuster inspects your property. Many professional storm restoration companies will inspect your property and advise you of whether or not you should pursue claim restoration. They will meet with the adjuster on your behalf, assure payment for repair of all damages suffered your property, and work with you to reduce or eliminate the amount you are obligated to pay through your deductible. When done properly, your hardest decision should be picking out colors for your new components.

Like the insurance company, storm restoration companies perform these tasks daily. Most property owners will go through this process once or twice in a lifetime. Unless you want the headaches of another occupation, put this in the hands of professionals. Interview candidates - pick someone you feel comfortable with - keep control of the money coming from the insurance company - and never pay out all the money until all the work is completed. Claims under 10k are typically paid 50% on contract and 50% upon completion. Claims larger than 10k are typically paid 1/3 upon contract, 1/3 at mid completion, and 1/3 when completed.

I have over 20 years experience in homeowner services including licensing as an Insurance Agent, Insurance Adjuster, and General Contractor specializing in catastrophic restoration. Please pass these undeniable truths about catastrophic claims and restoration on to those you care about. Knowledge is Power!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Did you really register just to post in this thread?

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Yes I did because catastrophic damage is a highly misunderstood topic. Homeowners need to be properly armed when forced to deal with such events. Insurance companies and contractors alike take advantage of lack of knowledge. Before you ask, I am not pursuing work in Iowa. I have no dog in that hunt.