Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 21

Coaching Makes a Difference

First, let me say that I am a big, personal fan of Greg McDermott. I really pull for him and want him to do well, but that said, I think he needs to get this team to perform big time this year, as in NCAA Tournament 2nd round or better.

What I have witnessed so far this year hasn't shown me that we're going to get there. Against an undermanned and overmatched (physically) Northwestern team, we allowed them to dictate their offensive style of play and several bone-headed coaching decisions at the end of the game really hurt us.

First, we played our standard man-to-man the entire game. NW got in a rythmn and scored more points than a Northwestern should. This is the same NW team that barely beat Tennessee State by seven, a team we already blew out by 30 some! They shouldn't have scored that much against us.

We needed to change defenses - mix in a few possessions of a 2-3 zone or 1-3-1, or heck, maybe even full court press a couple times and at different points in the game. I think Mac maybe saw that the zone press didn't work so well against SLU, so he decided not to use it at all against NW. Regardless, I think a match-up, extended zone would have forced them out of their ballscreen, Princeton offense that can be so difficult to guard man-to-man.

Did anybody else notice that Carmody changed defenses on several ocassions and it threw our offense into a funk? I rarely say things like "we were outcoached," but man, this game had all the makings of that.

Secondly, I said to the neighbor I was seated with at the game "what are we doing" when we took two timeouts in a row resulting in a JVB 3pointer from the corner in the last minute. If we would have saved that one timeout Brackins could have called a timeout as soon as he rebounded the missed one-and-one. We would have had a second left to heave it full court with a set play. NW had no big guys that could physically matchup with Brackins or Gilstrap and we could have lobbed it to one of them for a Christian Laetner style last second shot.

Finally, why was Gilstrap sitting out so much of the second half? Perhaps he was injured, because I did see him shaking his hand on the bench, but still, I just don't understand. It was frustrating.

Anyway, I'll be very, very happy to eat crow if this team goes on to achieve some NCAA wins, but I must admit I'm really starting to worry about Mac's decision-making in game situations. Hindsight is always 20/20 but as I was sitting in my seat at the Pavillion, I thought of these solutions instantly and wonder why Mac didn't...

Let's hope we learn from our mistakes and move on. Go State!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

Re: Coaching Makes a Difference

Agree with you...

Preparing to be bashed for agreeing with someone saying something negative about an Iowa State Coach...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

1. We're lazy rebounding out of man-to-man. I don't want to see how much uglier it'd get in a zone.

2.Our offense was in a funk? We were getting point blank range shots, we just couldn't buy one for our lives.

3. Did you see how worn down our guys were the entire second half? The double time out was fine. Your chances of catching and firing that shot are better than trying to catch the board and calling time out.

4. Brackins was quite ineffective. and if there were 2 people they were going to be on like glue, those two were it.

5. If his hand was indeed banged up or his wrist, why risk making it worse by playing him when we have a few HUGE games now (UNI, Cal, etc.) that you can try and get him back to 100% for. Marquis was also gassed just as bad if not worse than JVB was.

6. I about guarantee you Mac thought about them. He doesn't just act on the first thing in his mind. He's gotta weigh decisions like a normal human being does.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Agreed. I kinda blame the last game on him.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I don't know if that game said as much about our coaches as it did about the job Carmody has done.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    I don't know if that game said as much about our coaches as it did about the job Carmody has done.
    This....

Why some of you cannot give NW credit is beyond me. Cripes...they handled ND the day before. They play excellent as a team and can probably beat anyone on a given night.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59

I'm looking forward to watching how poorly coached the rest of the Big10 is when they have to play NU in Evanston. And they will get more than 1 day/1 practice to prepare.

We missed dunks, lay ups, and free throws. We rebounded poorly. Was the coaching perfect? Of course not, and I can see where some are frustrated.

But "coaching problems" are not on my short list of issues with ISU bball in November. That's just me.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Letting JVB take the shot at the end was actually a good call. He had an open look and a considerable height advantage on the guy he was going up against; that and percentage wise he is our best 3-point shooter. The problem was is that he faded away. It actually looked like if he went straight up he would have drawn contact with a chance to shoot 3 free throws if the shot wouldn't have fallen. However, end-of-game pressure, etc. a team is going to miss that shot a lot more often than they make it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 287

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    There is a reason they have kept him there that long.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,220
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 15

NW plays a Princeton style offense. They are the only team that we will play this year that runs this. Some of our guys didn't know how to defend this effectively
    We had less than one day to prepare for this, because most everyone assumed we would have been playing ND.

Get over this loss and move forward already.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 47

I agree Chitowncy, I didn't see any point in moaning about it immediately after the loss, but now that time has passed... I can only assume Gilstrap was hurt or not feeling well, because we needed him to be in the game. Also what is up with him keep putting Christopherson on Shurna, he was getting eaten alive. I think he put Booze on him for a second and Shurna got a bucket, but I think he quickly yanked him without giving him another chance. I don't know if Booze would have done any better, but it couldn't have been any worse.

The coaching was definitely underwhelming that game. I hope to see improvement, but I've had a nagging feeling for a long time with him. I want him to do well, but if he can't do it with this group... We should have a real idea by the end of January.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 367

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I agree Chitowncy, I didn't see any point in moaning about it immediately after the loss, but now that time has passed... I can only assume Gilstrap was hurt or not feeling well, because we needed him to be in the game. Also what is up with him keep putting Christopherson on Shurna, he was getting eaten alive. I think he put Booze on him for a second and Shurna got a bucket, but I think he quickly yanked him without giving him another chance. I don't know if Booze would have done any better, but it couldn't have been any worse.

The coaching was definitely underwhelming that game. I hope to see improvement, but I've had a nagging feeling for a long time with him. I want him to do well, but if he can't do it with this group... We should have a real idea by the end of January.
    I'll agree with this sentiment. I've been as big a GMac supporter as anyone else, but if he doesn't get it done this year with his best team by a long shot, I'm just not sure he has it in him.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    NW plays a Princeton style offense. They are the only team that we will play this year that runs this. Some of our guys didn't know how to defend this effectively
    We had less than one day to prepare for this, because most everyone assumed we would have been playing ND.

Get over this loss and move forward already.
    I don't think this has been emphasized enough. McD and crew probably figured they would be playing ND but they had a 1 day turn around from SLU to play a team they didn't expect to play.

Outcoached or not, we lost the game. Personally, I think losing a game before a couple of huge games this week isn't necessarily a bad. Thing. I'd rather win them all but sometimes losing exposes the weaknesses that perhaps the team wasn't willing to admit they had. I'm hoping we can learn from our mistakes and roll through a couple of opponents now.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,461
    Given: 1,248

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I don't think this has been emphasized enough. McD and crew probably figured they would be playing ND but they had a 1 day turn around from SLU to play a team they didn't expect to play.

Outcoached or not, we lost the game. Personally, I think losing a game before a couple of huge games this week isn't necessarily a bad. Thing. I'd rather win them all but sometimes losing exposes the weaknesses that perhaps the team wasn't willing to admit they had. I'm hoping we can learn from our mistakes and roll through a couple of opponents now.
    The guys as a whole understand that it's not always easy now. Every game won't be a blowout.

This has been a hard-working, cohesive bunch. I think we'll come out just fine against UNI, and put them down.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    This....

Why some of you cannot give NW credit is beyond me. Cripes...they handled ND the day before. They play excellent as a team and can probably beat anyone on a given night.
    I don't think anybody is not giving NW credit for the win but I think everyone else saw the same thing in that we shouldn't have lost that one. NW played well and they seized the opportunity. These are the type of games that the players and coaches are going to need to win for the team to get to the NCAA's. We are going to face better coached teams with better players than NW.