Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Volleyball IQ

Due to my locale I do not have the opportunity to attend many VB matches in Ames. I did take in Saturday's amtch and I watch as many as I can on the intraweb. With the upcoming torney matches in Hilton, I wonder about a few of our crowd traditions.

1. Chanting "I-S-U" during ISU's receive-set-spike (Team seems to do better when the crowd does not do it)

2. Yelling during Mahoney's serve. (Almost in her face on Saturday night)

I have bounced this off of a few ex-collegiate players and they all agreed that that does not make sense to them. Maybe our squad likes it but after watching the game against NU in Hilton I can't help but wonder if we are putting more pressure on the home team. Just curious if there has been any coordination with Coach and what a few of our more knowledgeable fans think.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Volleyball IQ

I don't really care for the I-S-U thing either. Seems rather sporadic most of the time. At the same time - I'm glad the students are in to the game enough to do it.

But the "boom" they do during Mahoney's serve - I kind of like. No real reason, and I don't think it adds or detracts. She's good enough, I really doubt it bothers/helps her.

BTW - anyone catch in the 3rd set where she tossed the ball way too far into the court? Stretched that frame about as far as she could to reach it without a foot-fault. Got a good serve off all the same.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I don't really care for the I-S-U thing either. Seems rather sporadic most of the time. At the same time - I'm glad the students are in to the game enough to do it.

But the "boom" they do during Mahoney's serve - I kind of like. No real reason, and I don't think it adds or detracts. She's good enough, I really doubt it bothers/helps her.

BTW - anyone catch in the 3rd set where she tossed the ball way too far into the court? Stretched that frame about as far as she could to reach it without a foot-fault. Got a good serve off all the same.
    i did see that.. she kind of had that oops smile and just did what she always does

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post

Like MJ from the free throw line. I did not think she would make it to the ball. Also not positive it was not a foot fault.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

Send in Mahoney.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 756

The boom is awesome, i dont know what you're talking about. I-S-U is a sporadic thing really i dont do it always, but its fun sometimes. I dont really notice us playing better when doing it vs. not doing it.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The I-S-U chant was sporadic at the last game because the entire student body was still out of town. I scanned the 100-level bleachers and didn't see a single student-looking-person, so I have to assume that the 20-some students in the courtside chairs were the only ones there. As far as I can tell, students are the only ones that yell I-S-U, and not even all of the 'hardcore' ones do it. So yes, the chanting would have sounded quite weak.

I like it- everyone around here is CONSTANTLY complaining that our fans don't have any unique chants or actions, only stuff from other schools. Well here's your original chant. To my knowledge, nobody else does something like this.

Also, major props to the two Puerto Rican students heckling the Oklahoma libero (who is from Puerto Rico) in Spanish for the entire third game. That was hilarious.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    The boom is awesome, i dont know what you're talking about. I-S-U is a sporadic thing really i dont do it always, but its fun sometimes. I dont really notice us playing better when doing it vs. not doing it.
    Well, it might be fun to cheer while the FB team is calling signals on offense or our basketball team is shooting free throws but does it make sense?

I really don't know that is why I asked some ex-players (non-ISU). Let's just say they were baffled by it.

Just curious if there was any coordination with the VB staff or just something some fans thought was "awesome". Probably not an issue but I was curious.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    Well, it might be fun to cheer while the FB team is calling signals on offense or our basketball team is shooting free throws but does it make sense?

I really don't know that is why I asked some ex-players (non-ISU). Let's just say they were baffled by it.

Just curious if there was any coordination with the VB staff or just something some fans thought was "awesome". Probably not an issue but I was curious.
    This volleyball staff doesn't seem to shy away from communicating with students directly when they need to, so I think they'd send someone over to say it's a problem if they thought it was a problem.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post

To my knowledge, nobody else does something like this.
    Well, right or wrong I'll give you that.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    This volleyball staff doesn't seem to shy away from communicating with students directly when they need to, so I think they'd send someone over to say it's a problem if they thought it was a problem.
    If they have no problem with it then I do not either.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm pretty sure if they had a problem with it, they would have told us to stop, or not allowed the cy'd out to print those sheets with some cheers to do. Also if they didn't like I'm sure I would have heard about it. The boom chant was started by me and my buddies. Oh and that was jorge heckling maria, hes my buddy and the oklahoma libero went to his rival school in PR. Just cause thats the opinion of EX-players doesnt mean TODAY's players dont enjoy it. They've said the opposite exactly and love the fact they have more fans. Some people just want to ruin fun, and the fact that was you're first game skews you're opinion.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

I'm pretty sure if they had a problem with it, they would have told us to stop, or not allowed the cy'd out to print those sheets with some cheers to do. Also if they didn't like I'm sure I would have heard about it. The boom chant was started by me and my buddies. Oh and that was jorge heckling maria, hes my buddy and the oklahoma libero went to his rival school in PR. Just cause thats the opinion of EX-players doesnt mean TODAY's players dont enjoy it. They've said the opposite exactly and love the fact they have more fans. Some people just want to ruin fun, and the fact that was you're first game skews you're opinion.
    +1

The crowd for Nebraska was big but uneducated in ISU Volleyball 101. When u get the right people close to the court who know volleyball, and know the team well enough, the crowd can have a huge affect on the outcome of the game. The Texas game is the biggest example of this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

See you Friday night? Bring your loudest voice and your heckling A-game.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    See you Friday night? Bring your loudest voice and your heckling A-game.
    Oh yes, if i can break down hooker, those poor george mason and st. louis/whitchita state girls dont stand a chance.