Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 46

SLU Game - From the Stands

Well, it was a tough, bruising game last night. The refs really let SLU handcheck, lean and put the stiff arm in the back of our posts all night. It's tough to score in games like that, and it showed.

I counted several occassions where Brackins or Gilstrap (and other players) went up for a shot and got hit on the arm or pushed in the lower body. No foul was called. That said, the refs were pretty consistent and allowed ISU to do the same. I was happy to see our guys adjust and play tough, football-style D, just like SLU. Still, I don't like watching basketball games like that so much. The skill and finesse disappears in favor of brute strength and they end up being ugly, low-scoring affairs. That's the way the college game has evolved though.

Should be a little less physical tonight against NW. I'll be there again cheering loudly.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 553

Re: SLU Game - From the Stands

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowncy View Post
    Well, it was a tough, bruising game last night. The refs really let SLU handcheck, lean and put the stiff arm in the back of our posts all night. It's tough to score in games like that, and it showed.

I counted several occassions where Brackins or Gilstrap (and other players) went up for a shot and got hit on the arm or pushed in the lower body. No foul was called. That said, the refs were pretty consistent and allowed ISU to do the same. I was happy to see our guys adjust and play tough, football-style D, just like SLU. Still, I don't like watching basketball games like that so much. The skill and finesse disappears in favor of brute strength and they end up being ugly, low-scoring affairs. That's the way the college game has evolved though.

Should be a little less physical tonight against NW. I'll be there again cheering loudly.

Good point. I was really proud that our guys stepped up and played tough. I didnt think we could. If you like finesse, stay tuned for NW's offense tonight.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 358

Craig's experience overseas this summer probably helped him in a game like last nights. Craig said overseas they didn't have many calls ever go their way because they were the Americans.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Good point. I was really proud that our guys stepped up and played tough. I didnt think we could. If you like finesse, stay tuned for NW's offense tonight.
    Yeah NW is all about finesse on defense too. It looks like they ran a 1-3-1 against ND. If they try that on ISU, they will be very vulnerable on the baseline (Staiger, Christopherson sliding to the corner for 3s) and on post-ups by Brackins. I think this will be a fun game to watch with both teams in the 75-85 point range...