Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 16,922, Level: 39
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    529
    Points
    16,922
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    I almost feel bad..

    ..for the Hawkeye fans. It's getting really bad on Hawkeye Nation.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 115,289, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,421
    Points
    115,289
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 20

    Re: I almost feel bad..

    "Almost" being the operative word, I hope.



  3. #3
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: I almost feel bad..

    I think that fact that the AD went on Miller's radio show, and "laid down the law," didn't really impress many people.

    Ironically enough, Wyoming fired Steve McClain today. Barta butchered that whole thing last year, I think that there are Hawkeye fans out there who are concerned about his decision making to say the least.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 37,380, Level: 59
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    HOTDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Posts
    2,391
    Points
    37,380
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: I almost feel bad..

    Better them than us. We went through the same thing a year ago and it was pretty unsettling. We came out of it better off, and they have a chance to do the same.

    I'm sort of anxious to see if they hold steady, or swing for the fence like Pollard. Anyone know how much money it would cost them to cut Alford loose? I don't know the details of his contract aside from the extension Bowlsby gave him with one foot on the plane to Stanford.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 16,922, Level: 39
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    529
    Points
    16,922
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: I almost feel bad..

    There is a lot of grumbling starting about Barta. It's funny because he has already said Awful will be back next year.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 94,094, Level: 95
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,669
    Points
    94,094
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: I almost feel bad..

    Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    I think that fact that the AD went on Miller's radio show, and "laid down the law," didn't really impress many people.

    Ironically enough, Wyoming fired Steve McClain today. Barta butchered that whole thing last year, I think that there are Hawkeye fans out there who are concerned about his decision making to say the least.
    I visited my brother this past summer out in Wyoming where Barta used to be. The people there said that they were glad to get rid of Barta actually. Apparently on the way out the door he complained about how he should have been getting paid more and I don't know the exact salary he was making when he left but people there thought that he was taking a paycut to go to Iowa. Not sure if that was accurate but from what folks told me they were not sad to see him go.

    Also this may just be coincidence but both Barta and Bowlsby signed 3 year deals. Leaves speculation open that Iowa would welcome Bob back if we wanted to?



  7. #7
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: I almost feel bad..

    Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I visited my brother this past summer out in Wyoming where Barta used to be. The people there said that they were glad to get rid of Barta actually. Apparently on the way out the door he complained about how he should have been getting paid more and I don't know the exact salary he was making when he left but people there thought that he was taking a paycut to go to Iowa. Not sure if that was accurate but from what folks told me they were not sad to see him go.

    Also this may just be coincidence but both Barta and Bowlsby signed 3 year deals. Leaves speculation open that Iowa would welcome Bob back if we wanted to?
    Yeah I never heard anything good about him at Wyoming. McClain told the media that he thought that he was going to be fired, and Barta backed down. He took a lot of heat out there for that, because people wanted McClain gone last year. Then you look at the Hawk fanbase, they are looking to shut Jamie Pollard up, regardless of whether they will admit to it or not. And the fact that Barta has not really done anything "splashy" or attention getting, while Jamie has made three hires, and has kept the football game in the public consciousness all Winter, isn't exactly winning him many admirers.

    As far as Bowlsby goes, I am not sure that he is held in the same regards at this time, as he was in the past. I am not sure that they would even want him back.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Points: 16,922, Level: 39
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    529
    Points
    16,922
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: I almost feel bad..

    I'm thinking of applying for the Iowa A.D. job next time it becomes available. I could easily do nothing for my tenure. Better yet, I would extend Alford's contract first, then hang out for the remainder of the years.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 380,906, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    55,563
    Points
    380,906
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 116

    Re: I almost feel bad..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cymon View Post
    I'm thinking of applying for the Iowa A.D. job next time it becomes available. I could easily do nothing for my tenure. Better yet, I would extend Alford's contract first, then hang out for the remainder of the years.

    Tom Vilsack and Tom Osbourn both need jobs.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM