Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 6

If you like Offense

If you like to watch Offensive College football, I suggest strongly you watch the game between Boise State and Nevada-Reno this Friday.......it will be at like 915 pm Central time on ESPN2.

Boise averages 456 ypg, 192 running, and 264 passing. They score 44 points per game. UNR averages 534 ypg, 373 running and 161 passing. They average 41 points per game. UNR features the "pistol" offense, which you may or may not have seen before. It was designed by their long-time head coach Chris Ault.

Anyway, both teams are still undefeated in the WAC, so this game will decide the championship of that conference, and could de-rail Boise State's hopes of a BSC bid. These are two long-time rivals. The rivalry goes back to when both teams were in Division II and competing for conference and national titles at that level. All season long I personally thought this is the one game that Boise State needed to worry about most, but there has not been much hype about it. UNR is a decent team. They got blown out in their first game at ND at South Bend, lost to Colorado State by 15 in Colorado, then got beat by 10 by Missouri in Reno, but since then have been on a roll, averaging over 51 points a game their last 8 games. Nevada has 3 1000 yard rushers this year in the backfield, including the qb. That is an NCAA record. ARob would probably rush for 2500 yards in this offense.

Back in the 90's, I worked at UNR for a few years and witnessed a couple of these games. If you like offensive, fast-paced, anything-can-happen college football, I would strongly suggest you tune in. If you like to watch defensive struggles, then don't bother.

Last year's game was 41-34. The year before that it was 69-67 in 4 overtimes! Both games were won by Boise.

Last edited by Dryburn; 11-25-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Re: If you like Offense

Like some of the other spread schools I would like to see some Pistol incorporated in to our offense.

ESPN had a surprisingly good breakdown yesterday about how running out of the Pistol is similar to your traditional I-Form rather than running out of the Shotgun.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324

Re: If you like Offense

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    Like some of the other spread schools I would like to see some Pistol incorporated in to our offense.

ESPN had a surprisingly good breakdown yesterday about how running out of the Pistol is similar to your traditional I-Form rather than running out of the Shotgun.
    I agree. It certainly has worked well enough for UNR that they have not gone away from it in years. It is a pretty simple concept really, and fun to watch. I am very interested to see if Boise State's defense can stop it. This is usually a pretty high-scoring game. Should be fun.

Here is a link to a pretty good article that was written about the Pistol Offense/Formation, if anyone is interested:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf,176983

Last edited by Dryburn; 11-25-2009 at 01:21 PM.