Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Interesting Fiesta Bowl/BCS scenario

If Pittsburgh were to win the Big East, the Fiesta Bowl could take Penn State with their first selection to try to get a Penn State-Pittsburgh match-up.

Let me explain how this works again. Assuming the Florida/Alabama winner and Texas play for the National Championship, the order for selecting at-large teams will be Sugar (pick 1), Fiesta (pick 1), Orange, Fiesta (pick 2), and Sugar (pick 2). We assume the Florida/Alabama loser will be Sugar (pick 1), and the Big East champion and TCU (assuming they win out) HAVE to be two of the picks.

That leaves two spots with four teams competing for them: Iowa, Penn State, Oklahoma State (if they beat OU), and Boise State. It's almost a sure thing that either Penn State or Iowa will go, so the last spot will be either Oklahoma State or Boise State.

It's been popular to assume that either Iowa or Oklahoma State is going to the Fiesta Bowl, but Pittsburgh winning the Big East would make it really likely they would take Penn State in my opinion. We know the Fiesta Bowl wants to please the Big 12 by taking Oklahoma State if they're BCS eligible, but they could still do that even if they take Penn State with their first pick.

The Orange Bowl would pick next and have to choose between TCU, Boise State Pittsburgh, and Oklahoma State (again, if they beat OU). BCS bowls don't normally pick mid-majors unless they have to, and the Orange Bowl is tired of low attendance and low ratings with Big East teams, so they would probably take Oklahoma State. Okie State is an old Big 8 school and the Orange Bowl used to take the Big 8 champion every year, so that would be an attractive choice. We saw that with Kansas a couple years ago. If the Big 12 complained about the Fiesta Bowl not taking Okie State, they could just say they planned on taking them with their second pick but the Orange Bowl picked them first.

If it plays out this way, the Fiesta Bowl could take Pitt with their second pick and have that Penn State-Pittsburgh match-up. If for some reason the Orange Bowl selected Pittsburgh rather than Oklahoma State, the Fiesta Bowl could take the Cowboys to please the Big 12.

Basically what I'm saying is if Pittsburgh wins the Big East (and especially if Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma as well) it's going to be really hard for Iowa to get to the BCS.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

Re: Interesting Fiesta Bowl/BCS scenario

My head hurts.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The only way I sit through reading this much information is if there's a promise of boobs afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,472
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 36

I'm not certain, but somewhere in the middle, I think he has copied and pasted the House's health care bill

"Explode and tear this whole town apart
    Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
    Find somebody itching for something to start"

"The Promised Land" Bruce Springsteen

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 832
    Given: 52

Hey guys, lay off. This is a vaild topic. I know you all are straight up hilarious and everything, but let's keep posts on topic.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry for having a sense of humor. It really destroyed the validity.

The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.

GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdewaard View Post
    Hey guys, lay off. This is a vaild topic. I know you all are straight up hilarious and everything, but let's keep posts on topic.

Your post lacks subtlety

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 832
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    Sorry for having a sense of humor. It really destroyed the validity.
    Hey, nobody is knocking your sense of humor. I mean, "boobs?" That's some top notch material, right there. However, regardless of your Carlinesque wit, please keep posts on topic.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    If Pittsburgh were to win the Big East, the Fiesta Bowl could take Penn State with their first selection to try to get a Penn State-Pittsburgh match-up.

Let me explain how this works again. Assuming the Florida/Alabama winner and Texas play for the National Championship, the order for selecting at-large teams will be Sugar (pick 1), Fiesta (pick 1), Orange, Fiesta (pick 2), and Sugar (pick 2). We assume the Florida/Alabama loser will be Sugar (pick 1), and the Big East champion and TCU (assuming they win out) HAVE to be two of the picks.

That leaves two spots with four teams competing for them: Iowa, Penn State, Oklahoma State (if they beat OU), and Boise State. It's almost a sure thing that either Penn State or Iowa will go, so the last spot will be either Oklahoma State or Boise State.

It's been popular to assume that either Iowa or Oklahoma State is going to the Fiesta Bowl, but Pittsburgh winning the Big East would make it really likely they would take Penn State in my opinion. We know the Fiesta Bowl wants to please the Big 12 by taking Oklahoma State if they're BCS eligible, but they could still do that even if they take Penn State with their first pick.

The Orange Bowl would pick next and have to choose between TCU, Boise State Pittsburgh, and Oklahoma State (again, if they beat OU). BCS bowls don't normally pick mid-majors unless they have to, and the Orange Bowl is tired of low attendance and low ratings with Big East teams, so they would probably take Oklahoma State. Okie State is an old Big 8 school and the Orange Bowl used to take the Big 8 champion every year, so that would be an attractive choice. We saw that with Kansas a couple years ago. If the Big 12 complained about the Fiesta Bowl not taking Okie State, they could just say they planned on taking them with their second pick but the Orange Bowl picked them first.

If it plays out this way, the Fiesta Bowl could take Pitt with their second pick and have that Penn State-Pittsburgh match-up. If for some reason the Orange Bowl selected Pittsburgh rather than Oklahoma State, the Fiesta Bowl could take the Cowboys to please the Big 12.

Basically what I'm saying is if Pittsburgh wins the Big East (and especially if Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma as well) it's going to be really hard for Iowa to get to the BCS.
    Which would have zero appeal to most people living outside the central and western Pennsylvania region.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Hey, nobody is knocking your sense of humor. I mean, "boobs?" That's some top notch material, right there. However, regardless of your Carlinesque wit, please keep posts on topic.
    Agreed...lame stuff in the responses but ya must consider the source.

If you listened to the segment yesterday on KXNO with the Fiesta Bowl president (or whatever they call him), it seemed rather clear (reading between the distinct lines) that Oklahoma State will go to the Fiesta as long as they win this weekend.

He noted their record, the Sooner winning streak at home and the number of times OSU has beaten Oklahoma in the last 50 years. He said it would be a very special win for OSU and would most certainly be considered.

Top that off with he made it clear the bowl always gives preference to the Big 12 with their ties and if Fiesta didn't take a Big 12 team, they would be the first bowl in the BCS that has not taken a team from their conference alliance.

Win and OSU is a "lock" for Fiesta. Lose and they're not headed to the BCS and the Fiesta has some interesting decisions on their hands.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 108

I agree, boobies would have made the post a ton better.

PS Iowa Sucks.....and will not get into the BCS.
    (See UNI, Ark St. games......they are not deserving....also the Big Televen went 1-6 last year in Bowls...and will likely do the same thing this year.)

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 59

Very valid points here.
    I would just see Fiesta taking Iowa over PSU because there is a boat load of retired Iowa people in that area and Iowa does travel well too.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hey, speaking of splitting hairs, the OP has no shot in hell of happening. How's that for bringing it back

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post

If you listened to the segment yesterday on KXNO with the Fiesta Bowl president (or whatever they call him), it seemed rather clear (reading between the distinct lines) that Oklahoma State will go to the Fiesta as long as they win this weekend.

He noted their record, the Sooner winning streak at home and the number of times OSU has beaten Oklahoma in the last 50 years. He said it would be a very special win for OSU and would most certainly be considered.

Top that off with he made it clear the bowl always gives preference to the Big 12 with their ties and if Fiesta didn't take a Big 12 team, they would be the first bowl in the BCS that has not taken a team from their conference alliance.

Win and OSU is a "lock" for Fiesta. Lose and they're not headed to the BCS and the Fiesta has some interesting decisions on their hands.
    Stay on topic

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post

Don't know why he must be so hurtful when we've shown him nothing but kindness. Another reason why I hate the holiday season. But honestly, Penn State in the Fiesta?!?!?