Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 80

Blogger Goes After Fennelly

Not that we need to give this clown any attention. But everyone's good pal Ron Maly decided he felt the need to attack Bill Fennelly and Erin Smith, ISU's Associate director of athletic communications, in his "blog." It was very uncalled for IMO. Erin and the rest of the ISU Communications people work as hard as anybody in the department and to call her out is just ridiculous. If you want to waste 10 minutes of your life, take a look.

ronald wesley maly: It's Just Like the Old Days for Me: I Ask Bill Fennelly One Question, and the Press Conference Abruptly Ends; The Prima Donna Coach Bolts for the Door

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Blogger Goes After Fennelly

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    Not that we need to give this clown any attention. But everyone's good pal Ron Maly decided he felt the need to attack Bill Fennelly and Erin Smith, ISU's Associate director of athletic communications, in his "blog." It was very uncalled for IMO. Erin and the rest of the ISU Communications people work as hard as anybody in the department and to call her out is just ridiculous. If you want to waste 10 minutes of your life, take a look.

ronald wesley maly: It's Just Like the Old Days for Me: I Ask Bill Fennelly One Question, and the Press Conference Abruptly Ends; The Prima Donna Coach Bolts for the Door
    I think the mods should make an exception to the rule and let you paste the article into this thread so we can read what the dbag had to say without increasing his traffic.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 54

That guy is just a social ****** that sits behind a computer and does his best to **** people off. I'm not going to waste my time reading that hot mess. I've learned that from his past postings. My guess is that he's trying to stir things up to try and be relevant again. Sad.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 43

That was stupid ******* question. He though about what he wanted to ask and that is what he cam up with?

This guy needs to get over himself.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 314

His font choices and excessive use of bold kills anything he tries to get across. I gave up halfway. His grammar is terrible as well.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 896
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many women's basketball games I've seen in their entirety in my lifetime.
    In a prime example of my best press conference form from the days of Ray Nagel, Lute Olson, Rudy Washington, Jim Walden and plenty of others, I said to Ascher, "You can tell Fennelly to kiss my a**, and you can tell that sports information woman to kiss my a**, too."
    This guy sounds like a real winner. He asked a question. Fennelly says no comment. He responds like Fennelly insulted every member of his immediate family.

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 80

Mods, feel free to delete, but here it is in all of it's nonsense.
    As is the case usually, we attended the 10:30 a.m. service yesterday at church.

The service ended at 11:45, then there was a congregational meeting that lasted until about 1 p.m.

We normally go to a restaurant for breakfast or lunch after church, but yesterday I mentioned to Maxine that maybe I'd go to the Drake-Iowa State women's basketball game that was to start at 2 p.m. in the Knapp Center on Drake's campus.

For a guy who's been retired for more than 10 years, I've got plenty on my plate--and I'm not talking about breakfast or lunch. I'm talking about all the great things a grandpa like me gets to do.

The trouble is, my schedule doesn't allow me to attend as many football games and collegiate men's and women's basketball games as I'd like.

But after what happened yesterday, I think I'll be going to more women's basketball games.

It was a fun afternoon, both in the arena and in the interview room afterward.

It reminded me of the old days.

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many women's basketball games I've seen in their entirety in my lifetime.

Maybe on two fingers.

I think the only other game I saw at the Knapp Center was a number of years ago when Lisa Stone was still coaching the Bulldogs, and I sat in on one of her games in the Missouri Valley Conference postseason tournament.

One of the reasons I wanted to attend yesterday's Drake-Iowa State game was because Bill Fennelly [pictured at the right] is the Cyclones' coach, and he's regarded as a big deal nationally in women's basketball.

Even though I'd never met the man, I'd plenty about Fennelly.

I mean, I looked up something I wrote about him on Dec. 10, 2007, and wondered if maybe I had become his unofficial agent or publicity guy. Here's some of what I wrote in that column:

"You've probably seen the TV commercial. A guy stops the car and says to his buddies, 'That's Bobby Bowden over there. I want to touch him.' The instant the guy opens the car door to run over to touch the man he thinks is Bowden, another car comes by, sideswipes the Bowden fan's car and tears off the door.

"Later, the guy says, 'It wasn't Bobby Bowden.' So he didn't get to touch the legendary Florida State football coach. Another commercial being shown these days shows a car containing two nitwits colliding with the Bobby Bowden statue. I was thinking of the commercial about the guy who wants to touch Bowden when I considered going to the Knapp Center yesterday for the Drake-Iowa State women's basketball game.

"Cyclone coach Bill Fennelly isn't quite as legendary nationally as Bobby Bowden, but he's the best our state has as a women's basketball coach. So I put some thought into going to Sunday's game so I could watch Fennelly in action throughout the game, then I could go into the interview room afterward and say, 'I want to be in the same room as Bill Fennelly.'

"I'm not into touching Fennelly or any other guy, so forget that. Anyway, I didn't make it to the game, but the folks at Drake e-mailed me to say Iowa State won another game from the Bulldogs, 58-51...Before Fennelly took the Iowa State job, Iowa State couldn't give away tickets. The Cyclones averaged only 733 fans a game the year before Fennelly showed up, and most of those were probably family and friends of the players. The tremendous attendance at Hilton is a big reason why Iowa State attracts good players.

"People tell me if Fennelly gets a prospect to visit on game night, there's a pretty good chance he'll be able to recruit her. Imagine what it would have been like if Fennelly brought prospects into Hilton on the night Iowa State walloped Iowa in front of nearly 13,000 fans.

"Any woman would want to perform in front of a big house like that. Not that Fennelly, who is the dean of Big 12 Conference coaches and has a lifetime contract to coach Iowa State, is in the Tennessee or Connecticut category in terms of success. He doesn't win like those coaches win. He's always pretty good, but not that good..."

Another time, I wrote about Hilton Magic -- and if there was still any of it at Hilton Coliseum, where Iowa State's men's and women's basketball teams play their home games.

I wrote that Fennelly was the only magic left in Hilton.

All right, let's shift this picture back to yesterday's game at the Knapp Center.

I had a press credential [a picture of which is shown at the left] that was issued to me a week or so ago by Mike Mahon, Drake's sports information director.

Mahon has been giving me one of those every year, and it's a nice thing for him to do. The pass enables me to attend any Drake men's or women's athletic event.

Drake, of course, isn't the only university that does nice things like that for me.

Athletic department officials at the University of Iowa give me a season-long pass and parking permit that enables me to watch the Hawkeyes' football games from the press box, where I am on the Kinnick Stadium media Wall of Fame. And if I want to attend a Hawkeye basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Phil Haddy's office sends me a pass.

And I've been at Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum for plenty of Iowa State football and men's basketball games in the past. I appreciate sports information director Tom Kroeschell's kindness.

I used the Drake pass issued to me by Mike Mahon to sit at the press table during last Tuesday's Drake-Iowa State men's basketball game at the Knapp Center.

Even though I had the pass yesterday, I chose to sit in the grandstand behind the Drake bench.

I did that because I noticed Amy Voss and her daughter, Karlee, sitting there. Amy invited me to sit there because there was a vacant seat.

Amy is the wife of Todd Voss, one of Drake's assistant coaches. Todd, Amy and Carly are members of Mt. Olive Lutheran Church in Des Moines, as am I.

I was one of 3,112 spectators in the 7,152-seat Knapp Center yesterday. All of us saw a very exciting basketball game, even though Drake's fans considered it quite a bit more exciting than Iowa State's fans.

Before the game, I ran into a Drake fan who said he thought Iowa State would probably win the game by the same 20-point margin the Cyclone men's team beat Drake earlier last week.

The same guy mentioned that Fennelly is such a good recruiter that the poorest three or four players on his roster "would be stars at Drake and the other teams in the Missouri Valley Conference."

Obviously, Fennelly is held in very high regard among women's basketball fans.

Indeed, I think he's regarded as the next thing to God at Iowa State.

There's the lifetime contract he has, of course. And there was even some talk a few years ago that Fennelly would be an ideal athletic director at Iowa State.

But that didn't happen. Jamie Pollard was hired instead.

For all I know, Fennelly might've been a better choice.

After Drake's 78-75 victory over Fennelly's Cyclones yesterday, I went to the Paul Morrison Room, where the postgame interviews were held.

There were just a few people in the room--me, Dave Stockdale [another retired Des Moines Register sportswriter}, Dan Johnson, TV announcer Larry Morgan, another TV reporter or two and maybe two or three other people I didn't notice or didn't know.

Fennelly and two of his players came into the room first, then Johnson took over.

I've written about Johnson before. He's a Register sportswriter who is one of the hardest workers in the newspaper business. He's a premier writer nationally on women's basketball, he's a standout horseracing writer who knows the ins and outs of everything at Prairie Meadows, he covers the Iowa Barnstormers, he covers Drake football, he covers small-college sports.

In other words, Johnson can do it all and usually does.

Anyway, Johnson asked the first 100 [just kidding] or so questions of Fennelly and his players yesterday. He knows all the coaches and all the players in the women's basketball world. He's on a first-name basis with every one of them.

I'm glad Johnson got all the interviews he needed from Fennelly and the Cyclone players in the Morrison Room.

Because Fennelly's appearance in the room ended abruptly after I asked him one question.

Fennelly had already said, "We certainly got outplayed and outcoached. Drake played a very good game from start to finish. We did some things you can't do on the road to win games. You can't miss that many free throws and can't turn the ball over.

"In the second half, we didn't guard anyone. Not anyone. You can't give up 48 points [in the last half] on the road...Defensively, we were really, really bad. We got outplayed. No excuses."

As long as Fennelly, supposedly the master strategist and the cool, highly-paid coach, admitted he and his players performed so poorly, I figured he might know when the last time was that he had such a negative feeling about his team.

I said, "Bill, you've been in this game a long time. When was the last time you felt this way about one of your teams?"

I thought Fennelly might say he hadn't been this disappointed since the 2003 season, when Drake also beat his Cyclones.

After all, Fennelly's teams have pretty much had their way with Drake, Iowa and Northern Iowa over the years.

Somehow, I must have struck a nerve with Fennelly with my question, even though I regarded it as a very tame question.

After pausing a second or two, he said, "I'm not going to comment on that question."

Fennelly then stood up and left the room. I'm pretty sure he then headed to his postgame radio show, for which he is paid to make comments.

So that was the extent of my interview with Bill Fennelly, brilliant coach, master tactician, leader of women, Hilton magician.

Gone in an mini-minute was my hope to maybe grab onto, and understand, what makes this man tick.

I maybe wanted to continue with Fennelly after the Morrison Room gang-bang interview and/or after his radio interview.

I didn't want to touch the man, ala the Bobby Bowden commercial, but I wanted to figure him out. I wanted to ask him if he's talked with Dan McCarney lately and what his thoughts are on the job Paul Rhoads did this season.

But Bill Fennelly was out the door faster than an Iowa summer.

It was then left to an Iowa State public relations woman to take over.

After the interviews concluded, I was still sitting in the front row in the Morrison Room, talking with Dave Stockdale.

The public relations woman didn't bother introducing herself to me, but Brock Ascher -- a member of Drake's sports information staff -- said the woman was Erin Smith, who is listed as an associate director for athletic communications at Iowa State.

She began walking toward me, staring at my chest. If I didn't know better, I might've thought she was interested in seeing the bypass scar under my black T-shirt.

Actually, what she was interested in was my Drake press credential, and who I was.

"Who do you write for?" she pretty much ordered me to tell her.

All I said was, "I'm asking questions."

I didn't feel any need to answer anything she asked me, without even knowing who she was. At that stage, I wasn't sure I was going to write anything.

I changed my mind after a few minutes.

After Stockdale and I left the room, we were still talking about Fennelly's weird behavior.

Someone in the interview room had said, "He's ****** off about losing" after Fennelly refused to answer my question.

Indeed, I was giving Fennelly a chance to put the loss into perspective.

While Stockdale and I were talking between the Morrison Room and the basketball court, Ascher came up to me.

"Bill Fennelly didn't like your question in the interview room," he said.

Ascher has been on Mike Mahon's staff at Drake for only two weeks, but seems to know what he's doing. He told me today he was on an internship with the Kansas City Chiefs before coming to Drake.

He said Smith, the Iowa State sports information woman, had relayed the information to him about Fennelly's displeasure with my question.

Evidently, Smith thought I was a member of the arena staff or something.

Ascher was quickly informed that I write a blog.

And a damn good, no-punches-pulled blog, too.

"Well, then, it's all right for you to ask questions," he said.

Actually, I look at it differently than that. I have the right to ask questions of anybody -- whether I write a blog or not. If they don't want to answer, that's fine with me.

In a prime example of my best press conference form from the days of Ray Nagel, Lute Olson, Rudy Washington, Jim Walden and plenty of others, I said to Ascher, "You can tell Fennelly to kiss my ***, and you can tell that sports information woman to kiss my ***, too."

[By the way, I plan to apologize to my pastor for using that kind of language, especially on a Sunday afternoon].

I didn't plan to talk to Smith again, but after learning Fennelly didn't like my question, I made it a point to tell her what I thought of the coach and of her.

I now regard Fennelly as a thin-skinned prima donna who is shielded by protective public relations people and surrounded by adoring fans who continually tell him what a great man he is and what a great job he's doing.

They can have him. One Sunday afternoon with that clown is enough for me.

And, by the way, public relations woman Erin Smith is not yet ready for prime time.

I also asked Drake coach Amy Stephens one question yesterday and, thank goodness, she handled it with much more sanity than Fennelly.

I was the one who asked Stephens the question about the significance of the victory.

My exact question was: "Amy, you've had some big victories in your career at Drake. Where would this win stand in that list -- one of your better ones?"

"Sure," Stephens said. "You know, one of the reasons I love being at Drake is you love the Cinderella story, and we are the Cinderella school. We have great kids who are incredibly smart. We don't have nearly the resources of Big 12 schools and we're finding ways to win and compete for championships.

"There's no doubt this is definitely a big win, but it's not the end-all for all programs. There's such a bigger picture at Drake than just beating a Big 12 school. It feels great, but it's just one game. We just want to continue to improve..."

It was a nice victory by Stephens and her Drake team. It was good for women's basketball in this state and the nation.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    This guy sounds like a real winner. He asked a question. Fennelly says no comment. He responds like Fennelly insulted every member of his immediate family.
    Wow. He even name-drops, huh? He's REALLY reaching now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 35

Long winded sob...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 896
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Here's some important things to note:

I had a press credential [a picture of which is shown at the left] that was issued to me a week or so ago by Mike Mahon, Drake's sports information director.
    Athletic department officials at the University of Iowa give me a season-long pass and parking permit that enables me to watch the Hawkeyes' football games from the press box, where I am on the Kinnick Stadium media Wall of Fame. And if I want to attend a Hawkeye basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Phil Haddy's office sends me a pass.

And I've been at Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum for plenty of Iowa State football and men's basketball games in the past. I appreciate sports information director Tom Kroeschell's kindness.
    Why exactly are people giving him press passes? Is he actually a journalist of some sort? If not, I think some emails need to be sent.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Why exactly are people giving him press passes? Is he actually a journalist of some sort? If not, I think some emails need to be sent.
    IIRC, he used to write for the DMR.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I read the blog; it was much-ado-about-nothing. Maly seems to be basking in his former fame and obviously can't let go of his former job. Much of the prelude leading up to his question to Coach Fenn was all about Ron and how he still, still, mind you, after retirement, gets into games for FREE. Hurrah for me, says Maly. Me still important.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

The guy sounds like he has never been in press room before...you constantly hear about coaches not wanting to answer questions...

its not a big deal.

I also don't believe that "bloggers" should have the same rights to press passes as the actual press (I know that Chris is technically a "blogger" but he also runs a site where he actually reports the news about Iowa State) The guy seems like he feels that he is entitled to have the answer to each and every question. I guess what I am saying is that I don't feel that just because you are a retired newspaper reporter, you shouldn't be entitled to a press pass...

Sorry just a quick rant, this guy really ****** me off with his writing style and sense of entitlement.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,444
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 69

Wasn't there a story behind why he is no longer at the rag? didn't he borrow someone's story?

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

What a tool